iOS 10 comes with a wide range of new features and improvements iPhone and iPad users get to enjoy. Upgrading your device to the latest version of iOS is exciting – at least most of the time. Users are eager to explore and see what’s new. But, the sail is not smooth for everyone. Quite a few users complained about problems with iOS 10. When a major update like this one comes to life, issues are somewhat normal. The good thing is that there are many simple workarounds that will help you set things in motion again. Here, we are going to talk about common iOS 10 issues and how to fix them.
Before we begin:
- Devices that support iOS 10 are iPhone 5 or later, iPad 4 or later, and iPod touch 6th generation
- If you haven’t upgraded your device to iOS 10 just yet, don’t forget to backup your data
- Keep in mind that most of the time the update needs some time to settle, a day and sometimes more.
Common iOS 10 issues and how to fix them
1: iOS 10 update problems – update gets stuck
Some users faced a problem right at the start when they were trying to install the update. The issue here is that the update gets stuck. Don’t freak out, as this is something you can fix with a force restart.
Press and hold the sleep/wake button and the Home button simultaneously for about 10 seconds. Your device will turn off and back on again. The updating process will continue normally.
2: iOS 10 Wi-Fi issues
Wi-Fi issues aren’t new and they often occur right after iOS update. There are plenty of workarounds, and we are going to share some of the most effective ones.
- Restart your router. Unplug it from the power source, wait for about a minute and plug it back in.
- Restart your iOS device. Press and hold the sleep/wake button and slide to power off. Once the phone is off, press and hold the sleep/wake button to turn it back on.
- Toggle Airplane mode. Go to Settings, enable Airplane mode, wait for 20 seconds and turn it off.
- Forget the network. Navigate to Settings > Wi-Fi, tap on (i) next to your Wi-Fi connection and then tap Forget this network.
- Reset network settings. Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset network settings. Enter your passcode (if you have one), and tap Reset network settings to confirm your action.
These are some of the most effective solutions. If nothing seems to work, try the workarounds listed in our guide: How To Fix iPhone/iPad Won’t Connect To Wi-Fi.
3: iOS 10 Bluetooth problems
Some users complained about Bluetooth problems that occurred right after they upgraded their devices to iOS 10. Let’s see how you can fix this.
- Toggle Bluetooth. Go to Settings > Bluetooth. Turn it off, wait for a minute and turn it back on.
- Toggle the Airplane mode. Go to Settings > Airplane mode, enable it, wait for a minute and turn it off.
- Restart your iOS device.
- Forget a device. Go to Settings > Bluetooth > tap on (i) next to a Bluetooth device. Next, tap Forget this device.
- Reset network settings. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset network settings.
If nothing seems to work, read the following guide: How To Fix An iPhone/iPad That Won’t Connect To Bluetooth
4: iOS 10 slow performance
Many people noticed lag issues in iOS 10. Before you try anything else, reset your phone. Press and hold the sleep/wake button and the Power button and keep holding the buttons until you see the Apple logo on the screen. Also, it would be good to give your phone some time to settle after the update. If you already did that, and the phone is running slowly, see our guide on How To Fix A Lagging iPhone.
5 & 6: iOS 10 battery life issues and overheating
Again, you should wait for at least a day, sometimes even more. The major update like this one is, needs time to settle and until that happens your device may act up. If you waited a while, and still experiencing battery life issues and overheating, try the solutions listed below.
- First, perform a reset. Press and hold the sleep/wake button and the Home button at the same time. Keep holding the buttons until the Apple logo shows up on the screen.
- Next, update the apps on your iOS device. Launch App Store, and update all.
- Disable Auto brightness. To do that, go to Settings > Display & Brightness and turn the Auto brightness off.
- Turn off iCloud Keychain. Here is what you need to do. Go to Settings > iCloud > Keychain and disable it.
- See the battery usage. Go to Settings > Battery. Battery Usage will load. Tap on next to “Last 7 days”. You will see the essential info on the battery usage. Consider removing the apps that eat up the battery.
- Reset all settings. Go to Settings > General > Reset, and tap Reset all settings. Enter your passcode (if you use it). Next, tap Reset all settings to confirm your action.
These are the most effective workarounds. If nothing seems to be working, see the following guides: Your iPhone/iPad Battery Draining Too Fast? (Fixed) and How To Fix iPhone Overheating and Getting Hot Issue.
7: iOS 10 mail app issues
Some users reported the Mail app is not working properly after iOS 10 update and it is showing your password is not correct. The solution for this problem is fairly simple. You need to delete the account and set it up from scratch.
- Navigate to Settings
- Tap Mai, Contacts, and Calendars
- Next, find and tap on the account you want to delete
- Tap Delete account
- Once you are done, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, and Calendars and tap Add account to set it up from scratch.
8: iOS 10 Hey Siri not working
While you can use Siri by pressing the Home button, users reported a problem with Hey Siri voice command. Here is how you can fix it:
- Perform a force restart. Press and hold the sleep/wake button and the Home button. Release the buttons when you see Apple logo on the screen.
- Go to Settings > Siri and make sure Siri is enabled. Also, make sure Hey Siri feature is turned on.
- Next thing to try is to turn off Siri along with Hey Siri feature. Once you do that, reboot your device. Then, navigate to settings, turn Siri back on, and then set up Hey Siri feature.
- If nothing works, you may reset all settings by going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset all settings or to try other solutions from the following guide: Siri Not Working On iPhone – How To Fix It.
9: iOS 10 can’t update or download apps
If you just upgraded your device to iOS 10 and can’t update or download apps, there are plenty of workarounds to try. Here they are:
- If you are using Wi-Fi, switch to Cellular data or vice versa
- Go to Settings and turn the Airplane mode on. Wait for a minute and turn it back off
- Make sure “set automatically” for Date & Time is enabled. Go to Settings > General > Date & Time and turn “set automatically” on
- Sign out from the App Store and sign back in. Navigate to Settings > iTunes & App Store. Next, tap on your Apple ID and tap Sign Out. After that, sign back in.
- Restart your phone. Press and hold the sleep/wake button and the Home button at the same time. If you are using iPhone 7 or 7 Plus, press and hold sleep/wake button and the Volume Down button. Keep holding the buttons until Apple logo shows up on the screen.
If you’ve tried all the above-mentioned solutions, but you still can’t download or update apps, try the solutions listed in this guide: How To Fix iPhone/iPad That Won’t Download Or Update Apps.
10: iOS 10 data issues
Quite a few users complained about iOS 10 data issues. If you are experiencing the same, here are several things to try:
- Go to Settings and toggle Airplane mode and Cellular data
- Next, go to Settings > General > Date & Time and make sure the option “set automatically” is on
- Restart your iOS device
- Reset network settings. To do this go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset network settings. Tap Reset network settings to confirm your action.
- Reset all settings. Go to Settings > General > Reset all settings. Tap Reset all settings to confirm your action.
- See the solutions listed in the following guide: How To Fix No Service On iPhone.
These are the most common iOS 10 issues and their solutions. This is a major update, which is why bugs and glitches are not so surprising. Try the solutions listed here and you will fix the issue that bothers you with ease.