Apple is one of the most popular companies in the world and Apple products come with innovations. Touch ID is one of them. Apple introduced this fabulous feature for the first time on iPhone 5s. Using Touch ID to unlock your iPhone is faster and effective. When Touch ID not working on iPhone, it can disturb your smartphone activities. Are you having this issue right now? If the answer is yes, try the solutions below.
What Is Touch ID
Touch ID is iPhone fingerprint feature. The feature has fingerprint identity sensor technology. You can use it to unlock your iPhone and if you want to buy something on iTunes & App Store. Apple released this feature for the first time on iPhone 5s.
What To Do When Touch ID Not Working On iPhone
- The home button of your iPhone is free of water, oil, any other liquid, dirt, and dust. You can clean it with a soft cloth. Avoid using a liquid cleaner directly on the home button.
- Remove all accessories attached to the home button, if there is any.
- Make sure your registered finger is also free from water, oil, any other liquid, dirt, and dust.
- If touch ID not working on iPhone issue appeared after you replaced the assembly display at unauthorized service provider – it can be the reason why it is not working.
Solution 1: Toggle Touch ID & Passcode
You can choose how you are going to use your fingerprint ID for. Are you going to use it to unlock your iPhone, when purchasing from iTunes & App Store? Turning the feature off and back on can solve this issue.
- Go to settings >> Touch ID & Passcode
- Enter your password
- Swipe off iPhone unlock and iTunes & App Store
- Wait for a few second and Swipe it back on
Solution 2: Reset Touch ID
Deleting your registered fingerprints and adding them again can fix Touch ID not working on iPhone issue. To do so, go to Touch ID & Passcode window and remove all the fingerprint IDs you have registered. To do that, tap on the fingerprint list and hit “Delete Fingerprint”. After you remove all the registered fingerprint IDs, create them again. When you register your fingerprints, make sure you record it perfectly by using different fingerprint sides/positions: left, right, top sides and so on.
Solution 3: Restart iPhone
Many iPhone issues can be solved by restarting the device. The restarting process can refresh the iPhone, kill bugs and frozen apps. Simply press the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the “Slide to power off” message appears on the screen. Swipe it to the right and wait until the iPhone is completely Off. After a minute, turn On the iPhone by pressing the same button until the Apple logo appears.
You may also read: How To Fix An iPhone/iPad That Won’t Connect To Bluetooth
Solution 4: Erase iPhone
By erasing the iPhone you will delete all your settings, apps, and data. Thus, it’s advised to back up your iPhonebefore performing this method. To erase your iPhone, follow the steps below.
- Head to Settings >> General >> Reset >> Reset All Contents and Settings.
- Enter your Passcode.
- Tap Erase iPhone on a popup message to confirm your action.
Solution 6: Restore iPhone
Restoring process wipes everything on iPhone, such as data, apps, settings, the OS, the firmware, etc. Don’t forget to back up your data beforehand. Here are the steps:
- Open the iTunes Software on your Mac/PC
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to Mac/PC by using a lightning cable
- On the Summary tab, click Restore
- iTunes will download the firmware first
- Once the process is completed, set up your device as new.
Touch ID Not Working on iPhone After iOS Update
Updating the iOS of your iPhone is important. It brings some bug and glitch fixes, and improvements in the performance of the phone. But, the process doesn’t always go smoothly, foremost if you don’t do it properly. One issue that may occurs after iOD update is, “Touch ID not working on iPhone’. If you are having the same situation right now, these solutions may help your iPhone issue.
Wait For A day
If you have just updated the iOS on your iPhone, and you found that the Touch ID not working, wait at least a day. Give the device some time to settle after the update.
The updating process can change some settings of your iPhone. Check if it has reseted your fingerprints too. It’s better if you reset touch ID by going to Settings >> Touch ID & Passcode >> tap all fingerprints list >> tap Delete to confirm. Then, create the new fingerprints ID.
These problems / solutions are found and effective on iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus.