Social media apps such as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and WhatsApp have enabled their users to engage in group chats and person-to-person (or private) chats. This capability helps users to communicate particular issues in the confidence that other people will not get a chance to see them.
These platforms have also reiterated that although they are capable of looking into private chats, it is strictly forbidden and employees who do it are dealt with appropriately for violating privacy policies.
See also: How to turn Dark mode on Reddit
Messaging on Reddit
On Reddit, messaging can be done through rooms or directs. Reddit’s Private Message (PM) option is now what is referred to as a direct. On Reddit, you are capable of sending a direct (a private message) to anyone you wish.
You can use a direct to communicate with another user about an issue that concerns only the two of you. Now, this article is going to show you how to send a private message on Reddit. This is possible whether you are using the website or the app.
You should know that Reddit has a ‘private message’ option and a ‘direct’ one. Their difference is that the latter is newer than the former. But, they are quite related.
Note: It is assumed that when you want to send a private message (or a direct), you are doing it to someone you know. Sending a private message to a stranger is neither wrong nor forbidden but the other person may see it as strange (stranger alert!). Anyway, go ahead, and do you!
Private messages on the web
- On your browser, click on Reddit’s website.
- Enter your login details to open your account.
- On the top-left corner next to the Reddit logo, click on the down arrow next to ‘Home’.
- Click on the ‘Messages’ button down under the ‘Other’ section. The ‘Messages’ screen will open with the ‘All’ tab active. The other tabs are ‘Unread’, ‘Messages’, ‘Comment’, ‘Replies’ and ‘Post Replies’ and ‘Username Mentions’.
- Click on the ‘Send a Private Message’ label just above the tabs. It will open up to Reddit’s old PM style with a form.
- Under ‘to’, add the username of your recipient (u/) or the subreddit’s moderator (/r/). Add the subject and the message. Then, click send.
From a user’s profile
- Navigate your way to the user you want to message or search them using their username. If they appear, click on them.
- This opens the ‘Overview’ page. On the right side of the screen in a small profile box, click on the ‘More Options’ button.
- Then, click on ‘Send Message’.
- You will be redirected to a page similar to that on step 5 above.
- Add the required details and after confirming that you are not a robot, click ‘Send’.
Private messages on the app
Since the app is a later development, it only features directs.
- Tap on the app and make sure you are logged in.
- If you remember the username of whoever you want to message, tap on the search box, and type it there. Slide to the ‘Profiles’ tab to see the usernames that match your result.
- Once you see them, tap on their name and when their page appears, tap on the ‘Chat’ button. Now, you are ready to send a private message.
The ‘Chat’ icon will always help you to get back to the private chat box.
Always be nice – especially if you are sending a private message to a stranger. It is either that or you get reported (and you don’t want that, don’t you?).
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.