The Samsung Galaxy tab 4 is the latest in the range of tablets from Samsung. The device has a 7-inch WXGA TFT LCD touchscreen display with a pixel resolution of 1280 x 800 and a pixel density of 216 ppi. The hardware also seems quite promising with the tablet getting its power from the 1.2 GHz quad core processor and having a RAM of 1.5 GB. The tablet also is quite decent in terms of the battery capacity having a 4000 mAh Lithium-Ion battery.
This android tablet runs Android 4.4 Kitkat with Samsung Touchwiz UX user interface. The internal storage is 8 GB or 16 GB and it also has a micro SD slot. Samsung has called it the perfect work and play companion.
There are two models being offered. One is the Galaxy Tab 4 T230 and the other is the Galaxy Tab 4 T235. The only difference between the two is that the Galaxy Tab 4 T235 supports voice calling and LTE.
If you are the kind of person that would always want more from your device and would like it to customize it according to you then you might want to install a custom ROM or might want to apply a MOD. But for doing any of these you would have to gain root access to your tablet. Now for gaining root access we are going to use a custom recovery software called the TWRP. And we would learn how to install TWRP Recovery and Root Galaxy Tab 4.
What is TWRP?
Before we go any further it is important to know what exactly is TWRP. TWRP is abbreviation for TeamWin Recovery Project which is a touch based custom recovery application. This has a really nice and smooth GUI which lets you gain root access of your smartphone or tablet. It was basically launched for Nexus but is now available for a variety of devices.
Here we are going to learn How to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Galaxy Tab 4 through a step by step process.
- Download and Install the Samsung Odin 3.
- Download TWRP recovery and Super Su
Preliminary preparations and important instructions:
- The guide we are providing is only meant for the GALAXY Tab 4 T230 and T235. You are going ahead at your own risk and we are not responsible if you end up bricking it.
- Please ensure that your tablet is charged at least 50% so that it is able to go through the whole process without getting discharged.
- Now enable the USB debugging mode on your tablet. To do this go to settings > system > about device. In about device tap on the build number 7 times. You will now have developer options enabled under system > settings > developer optio Here you would open developer options and enable the USB debugging mode.
- Establish connection between the PC and phone using a USB cable.
- Please disable Samsung Kies, Windows Firewall and any other Anti-virus software that you might be running.
- Before going further you can here backup your personal data, including call logs, messages, media, pictures, etc.
Now let’s continue with How to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Galaxy Tab 4
- Open Odin3.
- Copy SuperSu.zip onto your phone.
- Put the tab in download mode. You can do so by turning it off first. Then press and hold the Volume Down + Home + Power Key on your Galaxy Tab 4 till the phone boots up. Then press the Volume Up key to continue.
- Now connect the tablet to the PC. There will be an ID: COM box at the left corner of Odin3. This will turn blue once the connection is established.
- Click the ‘AP’ tab in the Odin and open the twrp file that was downloaded. The file will get loaded.
- Tick the Auto-reboot option to enable it.
- Now just click the start button in Odin3.
- After the process is done the ID: COM box will show green light. This means that the flashing process is complete. Now you can disconnect the tablet.
- Now turn off your device and boot it in the recovery mode. To do this, turn the device on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Key.
- The device would boot in the recovery mode with TWRP.
- Now in the recovery mode, tap install and select the SuperSu.zip file. The flashing of device will start.
- When the device is flashed, reboot the device.
- Now you would be able to see SuperSu in the application drawer.
You can also verify the Root by Root Checker.
So you’ve learned How to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Galaxy Tab and you are ready to use customize your device to its fullest potential.