If you’re a fan of this online video-sharing platform, you are familiar that viewers can leave comments or not on a video they see. Sometimes, video uploaders ask that comments be left.
You might have come across a hurtful line in the comments section, or one that harms your sensibilities or those of the video uploaders (or vloggers – video bloggers). The comment may even have been made under your video.
If you have watched the animated movie ‘Ralph Breaks the Internet, what annoys, saddens, and vexes Ralph as he surfs the Internet are the nasty comments that had been left on his epic fail video. It does not go well for him after this.
At this point, you agree that anyone uploading a video on YouTube should understand that his or her video will attract all kinds of reactions. They should, therefore, know how to disable comments on YouTube. This article will explore how that can be done.
It would be best if you did this on your Windows PC or Mac since it is convenient.
See also: How to unsubscribe from YouTube emails
Here are the steps
- Click on YouTube and log in to your Google account. The YouTube home screen will appear.
- On the top-right corner, click on the profile photo icon.
- Then, click on the ‘YouTube Studio’ option that appears on the drop-down menu right below ‘Paid Membership.’ Your YouTube channel’s dashboard will show on the screen.
- Since you might have a specific video of yours in mind, click on ‘Videos’ right under ‘Dashboard.’ If they are there, all the videos you have uploaded will be promptly displayed.
- Please scroll down to the video you wish to address the comments’ issue and click on it. The video’s details will be displayed on the screen, right on the ‘Basics’ tab.
- Click on the ‘More options’ tab.
- Scroll down to the ‘Comments and ratings’ section.
- Under ‘Comment visibility,’ you will find the following options:
- Allow all comments – all kinds of things can be said under your video, especially if it is in the public domain.
- Hold potentially inappropriate comments for review – YouTube’s artificial intelligence works its way around this one. It looks out for abuse, sexually suggestive statements, politically incorrect comments, et cetera. Sometimes, AI is not always right because people can say this and mean a completely different thing.
- Hold all comments for review – these will not appear in public until you look and approve them.
- Disable comments
- Choose ‘Disable comments.’ The not-so-good comments and all the other comments made on the video will not be displayed anymore.
By default, comments will be allowed on all video uploads you make. The above steps have the following alternative (the ‘Community’ option):
- Click on ‘YouTube Studio’
- On the left side, choose ‘Settings,’ which is just above ‘Send Feedback.’
- Click on the ‘Community tab and switch to the ‘Defaults’ option.
- You are presented with the following:
- Comments on your new videos
- Comments on your Discussions tab
- Drop down the list boxes and choose ‘Disable all comments.’
In a nutshell
You will come across all kinds of people on the Internet and all sorts of viewers on YouTube. If you find criticism harsh to take, the best option for you is to disable all the comments made under your videos. YouTube is out to protect you from nudity, harm, violence, harassment, and threats with this option of disabling comments.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.