Laptops come in a variety of shapes, sizes and features today. From 360 degree foldable laptops to ones that can put even the most hardcore desktops to shame; there is a large range of products available in today’s market. However, not everyone needs a high-end machine or a fancy tech-filled device for their needs. For some, they just need a laptop for online work or they need a secondary laptop for casual use. In such cases, it would be pretty unwise to spend a lot of money.
Technology changes every single day and you don’t want to spend a significant amount of money on something that might be obsolete tomorrow. Either you need to buy a product that you know will meet all your requirements for a few years into the future, or you need to buy a cheap one. Laptops under $200 are the perfect ones for people looking to invest in an affordable machine for specific purposes like work or studies. As a normal consumer, you may want a machine that does everything well, but they cost upwards of $800 easily. If you just need a laptop for work-related tasks or college assignments, then a $200 laptop is the best choice for you. You can use it whenever you want and store it away easily.
Almost all the major manufacturers have products in that price range but it may be a bit difficult to choose the right one for your needs. Almost every product in this range offer pretty much the same features as they are more on the low-end cost-wise, but they also do certain specific functions better than rest. If you have a specific purpose in mind, you will have no trouble finding the right one for your needs. Some of the key aspects you must look for in a cheap laptop are its durability, power and portability.
Here are some of the best laptops under $200.
Best laptops under $200 may come as a bit of a surprise to you. There are laptops available for such a low price and they are brand new. These laptops are from reputed brands as well. So, if you are looking for a laptop to perform the bare minimum activities, go ahead and buy one of these machines that cost less than or around $200. More than looking at what you need, in this case, you can assess the limitations that the laptops come with.
- Size: Many of these laptops below $200 will have display sizes of 11.6-inch or 13.3-inch. They may not have the latest technology display panels. They will still offer the performance needed.
- Processor: The low-priced laptops will come with Intel Celeron or equivalent AMD processors. They will give you sufficient performance for your day-to-day activities. The issues will arise only when you try to use this laptop for any higher-level tasks like gaming etc. The RAM support may be around 4GB. Some machines may have a slightly higher RAM.
- Storage: Do not expect huge numbers as far as the storage is concerned. 256GB may be the highest you may see of laptops below $200. Many may have even much lower memory capacity for storage.
- Software: It has become more or less a standard for laptop makers to preload the Windows OS. You may find some Chromebooks also in the category with the Chrome OS being the operating system. Beyond that, the laptops below $200 may not have much by way of software.
- Battery: The size and power rating of the battery may be low in these laptops. However, they may still give you sufficient battery life if you carry the laptop outdoors and if the usage is minimal.
- Brand: You may wish to keep your selection limited to known and reputed laptop brands while buying laptops below$200.
You should rather make an assessment of the tasks you would want to carry out using this laptop priced below $200. If you feel some of those jobs cannot be done on them, you may have to move to higher-priced laptops that suit your requirements. For the rest of the activities, these laptops will be good enough.
See also: Top best 15-inch laptops
Best Laptops under $200
One of the Best Performing Laptop under $200
Dell Inspiron Flagship Laptop
The Dell Inspiron comes with a 2.5 GHz AMD A6-9220e accelerated processor, 4 GB DDR4 SDRAM, 32 GB eMMC Flash Memory, AMD Radeon R4 Graphics and an 11.6-inch display with a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. Design-wise, the laptop looks pretty good for a device that costs less than $200. The body has more of a stubby design with soft curved corners and almost no aggressive lines. It weighs only 2.65 pounds making it very lightweight and easy to travel with.
The 11.6-inch display comes with an anti-glare finish that helps you to have a more relaxed viewing experience. The energy-efficient LED backlight display also helps you in terms of energy bills by saving you a significant amount of power drainage. As far as the performance is concerned, the AMD A6-9220e processor offers 2.5 GHz which is pretty good for multi-tasking. The processor coupled with 4 GB RAM and the AMD Radeon Graphics offers a surprising amount of power under the hood, making it one of the best performing laptops at its price bracket.
In terms of storage, you get only 32 GB and it comes as eMMC flash memory which is suitable for a laptop at this cost. At first sight, you might feel that the storage capacity is way too low, but that’s only when you compare these laptops to traditional ones. These low budget laptops are not meant for heavy-duty performance or content consumption. They are meant more for light work on the go where you want to install more applications than software. All in all, it’s a great laptop for the price.
What makes it the best?
- It is quite powerful at its price range offering stats that very few products do.
- The design looks stubby and cute which is pretty nice to see.
- Great for performing multiple tasks at the same time.
- The body looks and feels durable which is pretty important as the cost is pretty low.
- The 2.5 GHz processor, Radeon R4 Graphics and 4 GB RAM combined make it a great value product to buy at such a low price.
A Great Value Laptop Under $200
Lenovo N42 Chromebook
The Lenovo N42 comes with a 1.6 GHz Intel N3060 Dual Core processor, Intel HD Graphics 400, 4 GB DDR3 RAM (onboard), 16 GB eMMC storage capacity and a 14-inch display with a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. The black body looks quite stylish yet boxy at the same time. It isn’t anything to write home about, but it’s in no way a bad design either. It is small, rugged compact and looks good enough for its price range. Moreover, it also comes with reinforced ports, anti-peel keys and a water-resistant keyboard, making it a pretty solid product in terms of build quality. It also weighs only 2.48 pounds making it ideal for those who are always on the go.
It comes with Google’s web-based management console software allowing you to centrally secure and manage multiple Chromebooks. It is perfect for students as you can jump from one personalized account to another conveniently and fast. No matter what Google/Android-based device you have data on, you will have access to everything the minute you open up this laptop.
The 1.6 GHz Intel N3060 Dual-Core processor can be turbocharged up to 2.48 GHz which is pretty sweet, as it adds a substantial amount of potential performance. This along with the 4 GB DDR3 RAM and the onboard Intel Graphics 400 makes it a breeze to run multiple tasks smoothly and flawlessly. Though the storage capacity is only 16 GB via eMMC flash storage, you can add more capacity by using an external device. Another great aspect of this laptop is the battery life. It can run for more than 7 hours with medium usage, making it perfect for both business people and students alike.
What makes it the best?
- It provides great value performance and utility wise making it one of the better laptops under $200 in the market today.
- The design looks stylish yet boxy.
- It has a very good battery life of 7 hours and its lightweight making it perfect for those who travel a lot like students and business people.
- The product is highly durable and comes with reinforced ports so you don’t have to worry about getting a cheap quality device at such a low price.
One of the Best All Round Laptops under $200
The ASUS L402WA-EH21 comes with a 1.5 GHz AMD quad-core processor, AMD Radeon R2 Graphics, and 4 GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC storage capacity and a 14-inch display with a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. The laptop looks stylish, sleek and gorgeous with its thin rounded edges and its obsidian black body. Without a shred of doubt, this is probably one of the best-looking devices at this price range in the market today. It weighs in at about 3.6 pounds making it pretty lightweight to carry around as you travel.
What makes this laptop unique is that it comes with more portability with the Windows 10 S. It is a specific configuration of Windows 10 Pro which is designed to provide a more streamline and productive experience to the end-user, by utilizing apps from the Windows store. You can even move from the Windows 10 S to the Windows 10 Pro if you wish. The device also comes with a 1-year free subscription to Microsoft office which is great, especially if you need it for work purposes.
The 1.5 GHz quad-core processor, Radeon R2 graphics and the 4 GB RAM collectively provides the ASUS L402WA-EH21 with enough juice to power through some intensive tasks with ease. The laptop is of course not designed to run heavy tasks but this one does a great job in terms of overall performance. You also get pretty good audio with the dual speakers with large 9cc chambers located under the palm rest. You also get some solid visuals thanks to the ASUS Splendid technology which fine-tunes the various display parameters to give you great viewing experience.
What makes it the best?
- The laptop looks amazing with a very stylish and sleek obsidian black body.
- It also provides a great all-around experience in terms of visuals, performance, audio and usability.
- The versatility it provides in terms of performance makes it one of the top products in the low-cost price bracket.
- The laptop comes with a lot of cool features and technology to give you great value for an extremely low price.
One of the Best ASUS Laptops under $200
ASUS Chromebook C300SA
The ASUS Chromebook C300SA comes with an Intel Celeron 1.6 GHz dual-core N3060 processor, 4 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 RAM, 16 GB RAM eMMC storage capacity and a 13.3-inch display with a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. Design wise, the ASUS Chromebook C300SA looks very sleek and stylish. It is probably one of the more good-looking laptops in the under $200 price range. The dark blue and silver finish really sets it apart from the usual black laptops you see over flooded in the market. Weighing only 3 pounds, this laptop is very convenient for traveling with.
The keyboard comes with a 1.6 mm key travel distance making it an absolute pleasure to type. Moreover, the trackpad supports smart gestures, making navigation a complete breeze. Another unique aspect of this laptop is the fact that the keyboard is spill-resistant so you don’t have to worry about it getting destroyed just because some water or coffee fell on it. As you move your eyes up towards the top, you will be met with a gorgeous 13.3-inch non-glossy display offering you pristine viewing experience.
As far as battery life is concerned, you get a solid 10 hours on a single charge with medium usage. The number will change depending on your usage, but despite that, the base longevity of the battery is pretty good for its price range. Performance-wise, the Intel Celeron 1.6 GHz dual-core processor and 4 GB DDR3 RAM allow you to perform any online task, as well as multiple ones with considerable ease. This laptop is meant primarily for online usage and it does the job exceptionally well. All in all, the ASUS Chromebook C300SA is easily one of the best laptops from the world-class manufacturer at this price range.
What makes it the best?
- The laptop looks gorgeous and stands out with a dark blue and silver finish.
- The visuals, performance, audio and durability are all spot on making it a great value product.
- You also get 100 GB of free storage with Google Drive for 2 years to compensate for the low storage space.
- The trackpad supports smart gestures and the touchpad is one of the largest one on a Chromebook.
- The 802.11ac Wi-Fi allows you to get nearly 3x the surfing speed as compared to previous generation wireless technology.
One of the Best Affordable Business Laptops under $200
HP Flagship Premium Business Chromebook
The HP 14 Premium Business Chromebook comes with 1.10 GHz Intel Celeron CPU N3350, 4 GB RAM, 32 GB SSD storage capacity, Intel HD Graphics 500 and a 14-inch display with a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. The design looks professional and well suited for not only business people but also students who want an affordable but great laptop for their college needs. It fills in that sweet spot where it is neither thin nor too bulky. It also weighs only 3.4 pounds making it very easy to lug around as you hop from home to work or college.
The 14-inch display comes with a built-in HD webcam as most laptops today allowing you to host online meetings with coworkers, managers or friends and teachers. The features found on this laptop are very similar to the HP Stream 11 Notebook, with the major difference being the control keys which are different. It also comes with an insanely large touchpad with which you can access any function you want with ease and comfort. One thing you don’t want in a business laptop is something that hinders your workflow.
The Intel Celeron 1.10 GHz CPU N3350 processor can be overclocked to 2.1 GHz allowing you to add some serious power to your laptop. Combined with the 4 GB RAM you can pretty much perform any business or college-related tasks easily. As it is a Chromebook it comes with only 32 GB storage capacity via eMMC storage but you also get 100 GB free space in Google Drive and a memory card slot to add additional space.
With a great battery life of 9 hours with moderate to high usage and the power it provides, the HP 14 Premium Business Chromebook is a must-have for business people and college students looking for a great affordable laptop for their work needs.
What makes it the best?
- The laptop looks professional and comes at the perfect size for portability.
- It has a large touchpad allowing you to navigate features and functions with ease and comfort.
- You get 100 GB free storage with Google Drive for 2 years to compensate for the low storage space as well as a slot for additional storage capacity via a memory card.
- It comes at a great price and offers great performance as far as online and business tasks are concerned.
- The 802.11ac Wi-Fi allows you to browse faster online.
One of the Cheapest Hybrid Laptops under $200
RCA Galileo Pro
The RCA Galileo Pro comes with an Intel Quad Core 1.3 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, 32 GB SSD storage capacity, a detachable keyboard and an 11.5 touchscreen display with a resolution of 1024 x 600 pixels. It isn’t your conventional 2 in 1 laptop, but more of a hybrid of a tablet and a laptop. What makes it so unique from other models, is that it comes with a detachable keyboard you can just slide in anytime you want to transform it from tablet to laptop mode. It weighs only 1.65 pounds making it one of the most compact and lightweight option available.
At first glance, the RCA Galileo Pro looks just like an ordinary small laptop but when you slide off the keyboard, you realize just how beautifully designed it is. You can fold it in various angles thanks to the hinge between the screen and the keyboard allowing you to truly customize the way you experience the laptop. It doesn’t come with the traditional OS and instead operates on the Android Marshmallow but the 1.3 GHz Quad-Core processor really helps you to perform a plethora of tasks.
The primary purpose of this product is online browsing and application-based tasks, but it’s the perfect companion for business people, students and even kids. You can update your social statuses, check emails, browse online or work on various documents using the pre-installed WPS Office app. It comes with 32 GB SSD storage capacity, but you can add additional space by using the microSD card slot. The device comes with Android 6.0 OS (Marshmallow), Google Play and Android Music Player amongst many other apps.
It also comes with a rear 2 MP camera and a front 1 MP camera for any video broadcasting needs you may have. On a single charge, the device will last up to 6 hours depending on how intensely you use it. That’s pretty good battery life for a device that is so customizable. All in all, if you want a compact device for your online needs and don’t want to spend a significant amount of money, the RCA Galileo Pro is the device for you.
What makes it the best?
- It comes with a detachable keyboard that you can remove or add; to use it as a tablet or a mini laptop.
- You can customize the way you view content by simply docking the tablet to the keyboard in different positions thanks to the rotatable hinge.
- It is one of the most portable and lightweight devices in the market for what it offers, making it a great value product.
- You also get a 2 MP rear camera as well as a 1 MP front camera for recording video or chatting online.
- With the 1.3 GHz Quad Core processor you can easily perform a variety of tasks using applications.
Other models worth buying
Best Laptop Under $200 With Great Features
HP Stream Laptop PC 11-y010nr
This is one of the best options to consider in case your budget is less than $200. This laptop from HP has a decent HD 11.6-inch display and is featured with anti-glare led backlit. You can enjoy all kind of games and movies smoothly on this screen size. Coming to the internal specifications, it runs on Intel Celeron N3060 dual-core processor, 4 GB DDR3L SDRAM and 32 GB storage. However, no optical drive. The best part is this laptop runs on the latest OS, Windows 10.
What makes it the best?
- Its cute yet classy looks make it a must-have laptop for the youngsters.
- This is a budget-friendly ultraportable laptop model that can be used by all age groups.
- This machine offers you a superb notebook that can easily handle your routine productivity tasks with the help of its Office 365 Personal.
Best Laptops under $200 With Bigger Screen
HP 14-an013nr Laptop
Another best laptop under 200 dollars from HP that comes with a bigger screen size than the previous one that is 14 inch. The screen is full HD with led backlit. AMD E2-7110 Quad-core processor clocked at 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, and 32 GB storage is not bad at all at such a price. This one too runs on Windows 10 Home and allows you to enjoy all the new features, and as a plus point, you will get fast performance as well. Overall, this Notebook from HP is really one of the best choices.
What makes it the best?
- If you are looking for a laptop that offers a combination of solid performance and affordability, this can be the right pick for you
- This laptop offers many advanced features that are usually found in costly models.
- The college/school students will find this laptop very useful as it will enable them to do multitasking quite easily.
Best Budgeted Laptop From Acer With Longer Battery Life
Acer Chromebook CB3-111-C670
If you are looking for a budgeted best laptop that is just perfect when you are on the go, then it is the best laptop for that purpose. Th11.6-inch anti-glare screen ensures you can use it in sunlight as well. The Intel Celeron processor, 2GB RAM, 16GB Storage are enough for accomplishing the everyday tasks. Also, the fast Wireless connection is another feature which makes it your best travel companion. With all these, the battery life is really appreciable, almost 8.5 hours, so no need of carrying the charger everywhere.
What makes it the best?
- This laptop is perfect for light stuff sans photoshopping, gaming, and video editing.
- It can be an ideal replacement for bulkier and expensive Windows laptops.
- It offers some of the amazing features like Chicklet keyboard and multi-touch gestures
Best Laptop Under $200 With Excellent Battery Life
ASUS VivoBook E200HA Laptop
This 11.6-inch laptop is another great option to look for due to the excellent features and specifications at such a price. The display is quite sharp with enough clarity and the Intel Quad-Core AtomTM Processor is responsible to deliver such fast performance. The RAM is 2GB with 32GB eMMC storage. The keyboard is one of the best stylish parts of this device that have a large trackpad with smart gesture input options. On top of that which is the main interesting feature is the 38 Whrs 2Cells Polymer Battery that is known to offer 13 hours battery life.
What makes it the best?
- If you are looking out for an affordable, light and stylish laptop, this can be the perfect pick for you.
- It offers a powerful combination of performance plus excellent battery life.
- The laptop is highly durable with stylish looks. You need not look anywhere else for a better machine.
Best Cheap Laptop With Excellent Features
Acer Chromebook CB3-131-C3SZ Laptop
This 11.6-inch laptop with HD IPS screen is one of the best laptops for 200 dollars packed with a powerful processor and graphics card so that users can enjoy gaming and other tasks. Intel Celeron N2840 processor at 2.16 GHz with Intel HD graphics, 2GB RAM, 16GB internal storage are enough to help you carry out your every important job with ease. The battery life is decent. It can go for 9 hours in one charge. So, the need of carrying a charger everywhere is eliminated. With all these great features it attracts users towards.
What makes it the best?
- This laptop is one of the best contenders in the Chrome book category
- The well-designed chiclet-style keyboard offers you a smooth typing experience
- Enjoy a 360-degree display with IPS touchscreen, 32 GB of internal storage, and a quad-core Intel Braswell processor
Best Laptop From Lenovo Under $200 With Amazing Display
Lenovo Ideapad 100S Premium 11.6 inch laptop
If you have planned to own a laptop from Lenovo, then consider this one which is powered with Intel Atom processor Z3735F, 2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC storage and Intel HD graphics. The screen is really appreciating. Lenovo has packed a premium 11.6 inch LED Backlit display that is highly energy efficient with 1366 x 768 resolution. But there is no option for the optical drive. Other features include High-speed wireless LAN, Build in media reader, Bluetooth 4.0, 2 USB 2.0 ports, HDMI output, etc. and it runs on the latest Windows 10 OS.
What makes it the best?
- If you are looking for a dazzling laptop at a good rate, this can be the perfect choice for you.
- The hardware of the machine is worth your every single penny
- It is an ultraportable laptop that is ideal to accomplish the basic work on the go
Best Affordable Laptop With Light Weight Design
Samsung Chromebook 3 XE500C13-K02US Laptop
One more great option in the list that which can fulfil all your demand with its amazing features and specifications. This is a new addition from Samsung that comes packed with Celeron N3050 1.6 GHz processor, 4GB RAM, 16GB eMMC storage and a sharp 11.6-inch screen. The best part is this laptop is very lightweight so you can carry it with you everywhere you go. Even though this is a new inception from Samsung the price of $200 makes it a great option for everyone looking for a budget-friendly laptop.
See also: Best i7 laptops
Frequently Asked Questions
Are the laptops below $200 strong and sturdy enough?
The laptops below $200, if manufactured by reputed brands can be expected to provide decent performance. Yes, they will be as strong or fragile as any other laptop you may find in the market for higher prices as well. There may be a marginal difference in the quality of plastic used in the making of the outer body shell.
Can I give the laptop under $200 to my kids?
These laptops are considered entry-level machines and if you wish to expose your children to computers for the first time, there is no harm in allowing them to use these laptops. Even if it is damaged by your kids, you will not regret it much!
Can I do some upgrades to the laptop under $200 and make this my main computer?
The chances of upgrades to these laptops are quite limited. For the cost you have already paid to acquire this machine plus the additional expense on a proposed upgrade, you could buy a new laptop with better specs. It is not a good idea.
Do laptop manufacturers honor the warranty clauses?
Most reputed laptop companies do stick to the warranty terms. Their authorized service centers you will be directly dealing with may offer a different experience. If you are not satisfied, you can contact the customer care at the manufacturer’s end and register your complaint.
What is the average life of a laptop, after which you will have to replace it?
There is no fixed period from the date of purchase beyond which laptops cannot be used. It can vary with the individual piece and the manner in which it is handled and so on. On average, it may be prudent to change your laptop every 3 to 5 years. This is particularly relevant if you use the laptop on a daily basis for key activities.
The Bottom Line
Laptops are available today in a mind-numbing diverse array of options ranging from futuristic machines to ones that can be converted into a tablet. Portability and functionality is the name of the game today, as millions of people all over the world have transitioned from using static machines to portable ones. Desktops will of course not go anywhere anytime soon, as they provide a more wholesome experience but laptops are slowly catching up. Out of all the different categories and price brackets in the laptop market, the hardest one is the low cost one.
For one, the mere mention of the word “cheap” incites a feeling of a low-quality product in most people. While there was some truth to that in the past, today’s technology has alienated most of the past issues. It is perfectly alright to assume great quality with cheap products in today’s market. Most of the top manufacturers are packing some serious punch in the low-cost laptop categories with quad-core processors and HD displays. You also get different types of laptops such as 2 in 1 and even hybrid laptops that have detachable keyboards. There are so many options available in the market today that you can find one for any use you may have.
To find the perfect low-cost laptop you need to decide on a budget and think about its main purpose. Do you want it for more of a casual use or for work? For how long do you plan to use this device? Do you want one that will last for many years but cost more or something temporary? Are you on the road a lot or do you prefer a device for more home use? Once that is decided, all you have to do is do a little bit of research and then see which products fit the specific criteria you are looking for.