The primary advantage of owning a laptop is undoubtedly its portability. This vital feature allows you to take your laptop wherever you travel. One of the most important aspects that you would definitely want to look into in a travel laptop is the weight factor. Compact and ultra-thin laptops are also worth considering for this purpose. Almost all popular manufacturers have at least a few laptops to offer that meet these criteria. This can help you make your choice from your favorite brand.
The following list gives you a few suggestions to ensure that your decision-making process is a less challenging task.
See also: Top Best USB Flash Drives
In today’s context, almost everyone carries a laptop while traveling. Would you consider buying a laptop that has special features like a travel companion? What are those factors in a laptop that you would want to look for in a travel laptop? The market, these days, offer a wide range of laptops to choose from which are priced under $500. Here are some useful tips.
- Light Weight: The weight of the laptop may be one of the first considerations. It is always preferable to travel light and you wouldn’t want your laptop to be too heavy to carry. Ideally, the laptop should weigh 5 pounds or less to be comfortable carrying it around.
- Solid Battery: You should settle on a travel laptop that has a large battery size. This is because you may find it difficult to charge it while in transit. If you want to watch your favorite video on the flight or while traveling, then the battery life must be good.
- Display Size: The larger the display, the more would be the weight. If you have already shortlisted the machines based on their weight, you may be able to pick up one with a 15-inch display. This size is good enough to watch movies and videos while traveling. If you go further down on the size, then it may be a compromise.
- Color and Appearance: When you travel with your laptop, it gets noticed and you should spare a few moments to choose an appealing color for your travel laptop. It can be deep purple or baby pink or even a dashing red. Choose the one that suits your personality. Select the laptop with a nice aesthetic design as well.
- Connectivity Options: Your travel laptop must have as many connectivity options as possible. Depending on where you will be staying during your travel, you should be able to connect via Wi-Fi, an HDMI cable or other sources. Check with the seller all the available options.
- Backlit Keyboard: Many travel laptops have this feature. It helps to have a backlit keyboard since you can work in very low light conditions. If you are traveling in a group, and you wish to carry on working at night when the others are asleep, the backlit keyboard helps you to type in the darkness.
Best Travel Laptops Under $500
Best Travel Laptop with Huge Memory
Acer Aspire LED Back-lit Display Travel Laptop
The Acer Aspire laptop comes with an FHD 15.6” LED Back-lit display widescreen that features 1920 x 1080p resolution and 16:9 aspect ratio. The laptop is integrated with 6 GB dual-channel memory and 1 TB HDD onboard storage. It also features an Intel Core i3 dual-core processor with a maximum clocking frequency of 3.4 GHz and 2 GB Intel UHD Graphics 620 graphics co-processor. The device is preloaded with 64-bit Windows 10 operating system.
The black laptop encompasses an M-DISC enabled 8X DVD double layer Drive RW type optical drive, a Secure Digital SD card reader, a microphone, two AcerTrue Harmony incorporated built-in stereo speakers and an HD 1280 x 720p resolution webcam with HDR capability. The system also features multiple ports like a USB 3.1 Type C Gen 1 port, two USB 3.0 ports (one with power-off charging), a USB 2.0 port, a VGA port, an RJ-45 port, and an HDMI port with HCP support. The device encompasses Bluetooth 4.1 and dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11 ac with MU-MIMO technology. It is available in different variants of the laptop alone, loaded with Microsoft Office 365 Home and loaded with Microsoft Office 365 Home & Student. The laptop works with a six-cell 2,800 mAh lithium-ion battery that lasts 13.5 hours.
Who should buy this?
- The Acer laptop is a great option for people who would like to store a lot of files or really big files on their hard disk because of the huge storage available.
- The Acer TrueHarmony support for the speakers ensures that the system is ideal for those who do not want any compromise in sound quality when watching their favorite videos.
Acer Aspire LED Back-lit Display
- Value for money
- Stylish silver exterior
- Long-lasting battery life
- Presence of bloatware
- No touch-enabled screen
Best Travel Laptop with Three Color Options
Lenovo IdeaPad Business Travel Laptop
The Lenovo IdeaPad laptop features a 15.6” HD 1366 x 768p resolution display screen with energy-efficient LED backlighting. The screen also supports options for FHD resolution and touchscreen capability. The laptop comes with 8 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD as internal storage. It also incorporates an 8th Gen Intel dual-core i3 processor that can boost up to 3.4 GHz and an Intel UHD Graphics 620 graphics co-processor. The system is preloaded with a 64-bit Windows 10 Home operating system and various apps such as Lenovo App Explorer, Lenovo ID, Lenovo Companion 3.0 driver update, and 30-day free trial versions of Office 365 and McAfee LiveSafe to enhance productivity.
The laptop encases a 720p HD webcam, two 2 W Dolby Audio speakers, and a 4-in-1 SD / SDHC / SDXC / MMC card reader. The system is also integrated with a range of ports like an HDMI output port, a headphone jack, a USB 3.0 Type C port, and two USB 3.0 Type-A ports. The device features Wi-Fi 802.11 ac, Bluetooth, and Ethernet 10/100/1000 wireless data transfers. It is available in three color options of platinum gray, onyx black, and coral red. The laptop comes with a three-cell lithium-ion 45 Whr battery that retains its juice for about six hours before it is time for a recharge.
Who should buy this?
- The Lenovo laptop is a great choice for people who wish to perform business-related tasks when they are on the move.
- The LED backlighting makes the device ideal for those who are apprehensive about their system consuming too much power.
- The inclusion of antivirus software ensures that the laptop is definitely a good choice for people who are skeptical about their system being prone to virus and malware attacks.
Lenovo IdeaPad Business Pros & Cons
- Rubber strips around the base
- 180-degree rotation
- Angular profile
- Awkward placement of keys
- Underwhelming color accuracy
Best Travel Laptop with Touchscreen
HP Pavilion Travel Laptop
The HP Pavilion laptop houses a 15.6” SVA BrightView Display WLED-backlit HD touchscreen with 1366 x 768p resolution and 10-finger multi-touch support. The laptop comes in two options of RAM and storage. One of them is 8 GB RAM and 2 TB hard disk storage while the other variant comprises 12 GB RAM and 1 TB storage. The former version has a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5-7200 processor with a turbo boost of 3.10 GHz. The latter version has a quad-core i5 8250U processor that has a maximum clocking frequency of 3.4 GHz. Both models encompass an Intel HD Graphics 620 graphics co-processor and come preinstalled with 64 Windows 10 Home operating system.
The 8 GB model is silver in color whereas the 12 GB counterpart has a blue color body. The former device comprises a full-size island-style keyboard with a numeric keypad, a DVD writer, a multi-format digital media card reader, stereo speakers with HD audio quality, and a front-facing VGA webcam with integrated digital microphone. With respect to the latter model, there is no optical drive. The keyboard supports backlighting while the camera is an HP WideVision HD webcam with an integrated dual digital microphone and the two speakers render B&O Play Audio. The 8 GB system features two USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, a USB 2.0 port, an HDMI port, an RJ 45 port and a headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack. However, the 12 GB device has a USB 3.1 Type C port, two USB 3.1 ports, an HDMI 1.4 port, an RJ 45 port and a headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack. The 8 GB RAM version offers Wi-Fi 802.11 ac and Bluetooth wireless connectivity options that are replaced by RealTek Wireless AC WLAN with MU-MIMO support and Bluetooth 4.2 in the 12 GB RAM version. Both laptops work using a three-cell 31 Whr lithium-ion battery with a lifespan of 8 hours.
Who should buy this?
- The inclusion of a DVD writer makes the 8 GB HP laptop a great option for people who would like to save their favorite files on to a DVD.
- The 12 GB system is ideal for those who work at night with minimum lighting or in the dark because of the backlighting of the keyboard.
HP Pavilion Pros & Cons
- Comfortable keyboard
- Ideal for office work
- Speakers produce good output
- Average display screen
- Price slightly on the higher side
Best Travel Laptop with MaxxAudio Speakers
Dell Inspiron Multitasking Friendly Travel Laptop
The Dell Inspiron laptop comes with an HD WLED backlit display featuring 1366 x 768p resolution. The BrightView glossy screen retains the vivid colors of videos and photos. The laptop incorporates 4 GB RAM and 500 GB solid-state flash memory for internal storage. It also integrates a dual-core AMD processor that clocks at 2.5 GHz and an AMD Radeon R4 graphics co-processor with shared video memory. The system has Windows 10 Home preinstalled on it.
The black-colored laptop encompasses a multi-format SD media card reader, a webcam, two stereo speakers with MaxxAudio functionality, and a super-multi DVD/CD burner. The device comprises many port choices such as an RJ 45 port, a headphone/microphone combo jack, a USB 2.0 port, an HDMI port, and two USB 3.0 ports. It supports wireless Wi-Fi 802.11 b, 802.11 b/g, and 802.11 bgn, as well as Bluetooth 4.0 data transfer. The laptop comes with a 4-cell 40 Whr lithium-ion battery that lasts five hours with normal use.
Who should buy this?
- The high bandwidth RAM makes the Dell laptop undoubtedly worth considering by people who engage in a lot of multitasking.
- The device is apt for those who do not want any compromise to the sound quality rendered whether they are watching a movie, playing a game, or listening to music because of its MaxxAudio speakers.
- The DVD/CD burner ensures that the laptop is ideal for those who want to burn their favorite content into a DVD or CD in multiple formats to prevent them from accidentally getting lost or deleted.
- The system is a good bet for those who want to connect their laptop to other devices to view its content on a bigger screen.
Dell Inspiron Multitasking Friendly Pros & Cons
- Equipped with APU Quad Core A6
- Great storage capacity
- Lightweight structure
- Absence of touch-enabled screen
- No SSD or Solid State Drive
Best Travel Laptop with Dual Band Wi-Fi
Fusion5 Full HD IPS Travel Laptop
The Fusion5 laptop has a 14.1” IPS Full HD display screen with a high resolution of 1920 x 1080p. The laptop utilizes a RAM capacity of 4 GB and 32 GB eMMC onboard storage. This storage can be increased up to 1 TB using a hard disk drive or up to 256 GB with a micro SD or TF card. The laptop additionally encases an Intel Cherrytail quad-core processor that clocks at a maximum frequency of 1.92 GHz and an Intel HD graphics co-processor. It is preloaded with the Windows 10 operating system.
The black and silver laptop is lightweight and has a highly flexible design. The device is capable of stretching up to an angle of 170 degrees that makes it very flat if required. The system houses an HDD slot, a multi-format card reader, and a front-facing single VGA camera. The device comprises two USB 3.0 ports and an HDMI port with mini HDMI support. It supports dual-band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless connectivity options. The laptop comes with a warranty period of 12 months. It works with a 37 Whr 10,000 mAh battery that lasts for a reasonably long time.
Who should buy this?
- The Fusion5 laptop is undoubtedly the best option for people who want to send and receive data at a very fast rate because of its 5 GHz Wi-Fi support.
- The ability to keep the system in a flat orientation makes it ideal for those who wish to use it for preparing graphs and PowerPoint presentations.
- The device is suitable for those who are looking for alternative ways to increase the existing memory of their system memory other than by using a memory card.
- The IPS display makes the laptop a good choice for those who want to enjoy a realistic experience when watching a movie or playing a game while they are traveling.
Fusion5 Full HD IPS Pros & Cons
- Expandable storage capacity
- Lightweight and flexible design
- Features an HDD slot
- Below par performance
- Not good at performing multimedia functions
Best Travel Laptop with Optical Drive
Asus Matte Finish Travel Laptop
The Asus laptop comes with a 15.6” HD glossy display with 1366 x 768p resolution and supports LED backlighting. The laptop is integrated with 8 GB RAM and 1 TB hybrid HDD storage. It has three options for the processor, namely, AMD quad-core A12, Intel Core i5, AMD quad-core E2, and Pentium quad-core with clocking frequencies of 3.1 GHz, 2.7 GHz, 3.4 GHz, and 1.5 GHz respectively. The corresponding options for the graphics processor are Intel HD Graphics 620, AMD Radeon R7, Intel UHD Graphics 605, and AMD Radeon R2 respectively. The system is preloaded with the Windows 10 operating system.
The stylish laptop has a silver color for its top case and a black spin texture LCD cover with a tactile matte finish. The device comprises an ergonomically designed keyboard that incorporates IceCool technology, an 8x double-layer super-multi optical drive, a VGA camera with integrated microphone, small onboard speakers that utilize ASUS AudioWizard and ASUS SonicMaster technology, as well as a 3-in-1 SD/SDHC/SDXC card reader. The slew of connectivity ports comprises an audio-in & headphone-out combo jack, an RJ 45 port for LAN, two USB 3.0 ports, a USB 2.0 port, an HDMI port, and a D-Sub VGA port. The system supports Wi-Fi 802.11 ac / bgn and Bluetooth 4.0 wireless data transfers. The laptop works with a two-cell lithium-ion 37 Whr battery that has a reasonably long battery life.
Who should buy this?
- The ASUS laptop is a great option for people who want a memorable travel experience listening to their favorite music or watching a movie with the high sound quality on their device.
- The system is worth considering by those for whom the look and feel of their laptop is of primary concern.
- The device is ideal for those who travel on work because of its ability to render seamless multitasking capabilities because of the 8 GB RAM.
Asus Matte Finish Pros & Cons
- Powerful hardware components
- Impressive battery life
- Enough storage capacity
- Slightly expensive
- Absence of Full HD display
Best Travel Laptop with Full Number Keypad
Samsung Wide Viewing Angle Travel Laptop
The Samsung laptop encompasses an FHD LED display with 1920 x 1080p resolution and an anti-glare screen. The laptop incorporates 8 GB RAM and 1 TB storage. It features an AMD Ryzen 5 processor that clocks at 2 GHz and can be boosted to 3.6 GHz, as well as an AMD Radeon Vega 8 graphics co-processor. The system is preinstalled with Windows 10 operating system.
The light titan colored laptop has a seamless metal design and an ultra-slim profile that allows you to put it into any bag with ease. The device has a comfortable keyboard with ergonomic keycaps, a full numeric keypad, and a precision touchpad. It also houses a webcam, a couple of 1.5 W stereo speakers, and an internal microphone. The system has multiple I/O connectivity ports that comprise two USB 3.0 ports, a USB 2.0 port, an HDMI out port, an RJ 45 LAN port, and a headphone out/microphone-in port. The device permits wireless data transfer with Bluetooth 4.1 and Wi-Fi 802.11 ac options. The ENERGY STAR certified laptop works with a lithium-ion 43 Whr battery that lasts 6.5 hours on a full charge.
Who should buy this?
- The ultra-slim design makes the Samsung laptop ideal for people who want to carry their devices with them wherever they are traveling.
- The anti-glare property ensures that the system suitable for those who use their laptop in outdoor locations like beaches as part of their travel.
- The device is ideal for those who rely on a lot of numerical data for their work because of the number keypad in the keyboard.
Samsung Wide Viewing Angle Pros & Cons
- Fast processor
- Anti-glare display screen
- Energy Star certified
- Quite heavy
- Not suitable for playing high-definition games
Best Travel Laptop with Keyboard Case
RCA Galileo Pro Android 6.0 Travel Laptop
The RCA Galileo Pro laptop has an 11.5” screen with HD quality display and touchscreen functionality. The laptop comprises 1 GB RAM with 32 GB storage. The system also includes an Intel Atom quad-core processor with a clocking frequency of 1.3 GHz and an integrated Intel HD Graphics co-processor. The system works on Google Android 6.0 Marshmallow that comes preinstalled.
The charcoal-colored device features a keyboard case, a micro-SD card slot, and a 2 MP rear webcam. The keyboard can be detached to make the laptop function like a tablet if needed. It has multiple connectivity ports that include a micro USB 2.0 port, a USB 2.0 port, a mini HDMI port, a microphone jack, and a headphone jack. The laptop works with a lithium metal battery that offers six hours of uninterrupted usage on a single charge.
Who should buy this?
- The RCA laptop is ideal for people who would like to use the same device as a laptop at home and as a tablet when they travel.
- The keyboard case makes the system a good bet for those who are apprehensive of their keyboard being prone to damage due to unwanted pressing of keys when not in use.
- The choice of Android as the operating system ensures that the laptop is worth considering by those who would like to access various apps of multiple categories.
RCA Galileo Pro Android 6.0 Pros & Cons
- Detachable keyboard
- Large storage capacity
- Runs on 1.3GHz processor
- No IPS display
- Takes long to charge
Best Travel Laptop with Metal Body
Acer Stylish Chromebook Travel Laptop
The Acer Chromebook houses a 14” Full HD screen with widescreen IPS display, LED backlighting and 1920 x 1080p resolution and anti-glare property. The Chromebook supports 4 GB RAM, 16 GB eMMC storage, and 100 GB Google Drive space. It also includes an Intel Celeron quad-core processor that clocks at a maximum frequency of 2.24 GHz and an Intel HD graphics co-processor. The device runs on Google Chrome operating system. It gives you access to apps of various genres through the Google Play Store.
The silver-colored device has a full aluminum body with perfect and symmetric rounded corners, as well as a hairline brush finish. The Chromebook features a 1280 x 720p HD webcam with support for High Dynamic Range imaging, a microphone and two stereo speakers. The system incorporates an HDMI port with HDCP support and two USB 3.0 ports. It allows wireless data transfers using Bluetooth 4.2 and dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11 ac with MIMO technology. The Chromebook comes with a black protective sleeve that has a grainy texture. It works with a lithium polymer battery that has a lifespan of 12 hours.
Who should buy this?
- The included protective sleeve makes the Acer Chromebook apt for frequent travelers who would like to keep their device safe whenever they are on the move.
- The device is ideal for those who wish to take it with them wherever they go because of the aluminum body that makes it quite rugged.
- The system is apt for people who want their files to get automatically updated on a periodic or regular basis.
- The HDR support for the webcam makes it highly suitable for those who want to engage in video chats with the utmost clarity.
Acer Stylish Chromebook Pros & Cons
- Full HD display
- Good viewing angles
- Very good webcam
- No SD card slot
- Hard-plastic keys
Other models worth buying
Best Travel Laptop with High-End Features
Lenovo idea pad 320
Priced at just $289, the Lenovo Idea pad 320 is one of the most economical laptops out there. It comes with the best of Intel technology along with a compact 15.6-inch screen. The laptop has been powered by an Intel Celeron N3350 processor. It features a 4 GB RAM and a 1TB HDD. For the price it is available for, it is an absolute steal deal considering that it boasts features that can rival any top-end laptop. It’s also got an appealing design.
It comes with utility ports such as a Bluetooth 4.1 and USB 3.0 port. Finally, it comes with an anti-glare screen of 15.6-inch size and the picture quality is the best possible. This laptop is perfect for travelers who wish to have a laptop with the best features and at an amazing price.
Who should buy this?
- Those who suffer from weak eyesight and are concerned about it getting deteriorated further should benefit from the anti-glare screen.
- The 15.6-inch display screen produces sharp and clear images, making it a good investment for those who watch a lot of videos.
- The design is at par with premium laptops and should make the owner feel proud while using or carrying it around.
- The placement of the webcam at the top bezel makes it very suitable for those who use their laptops for engaging in video conferencing.
Lenovo idea pad 320 Pros & Cons
- Wide range of features
- Sleek design
- Good storage
- Last generation processor
- Low resolution display
Best Travel Laptop with Sound System
Asus F556UA-AB32 Laptop
This laptop comes with a finish like a black matte. This makes it look like a laptop which is way more than its actual price. The Asus F556 operates on the latest version of Windows 10 and comes equipped with a superb Core i3 processor which is amazing for the price on offer. The 15.6-inch screen lets you enjoy the video at a resolution of 1920 x 1080. It is a very fast laptop, thanks to its 4GB RAM and 1TB HDD which allows you to store plenty of files of your choice. It boasts a few utility ports such as a single USB along with a USB 2.0 and 3.0 port as well. For the features it offers, it certainly is one of the best laptops under 500 dollars. It also comes with a one-year international warranty as well.
Who should buy this?
- ASUS SonicMaster software and the big speakers are a delight for those who expect their laptop to produce very good sound.
- The ergonomic keyboard provides a comfortable experience to people who type extensively on their laptops.
- It is suitable for individuals who expect a sharp and well-lit screen to edit photos, videos or play basic games.
- The RAM and storage space are good enough for a standard laptop but if you think you need more, you have the option to upgrade them anytime.
Asus F556UA-AB32 Laptop Pros & Cons
- Great performance
- Full HD screen
- Multiple connectivity ports
- Hard drive gets slow at times
- Devoid of Solid State Drive
Best Travel Laptop with Hybrid Features
Asus T300CHI Transformer Book
The demand for 2 in 1 convertible laptops is on the rise lately. The Asus T300CHI Transformer Book is one of the best laptops under this category. It features a superb Core M Processor. It also comes with a keyboard cover of full size along with a touch screen display of 12.5 inches. All these features are available to you for just around USD 300 which is mind-boggling.
This laptop boasts with 4GB RAM along with the latest 128 GB SSD drive. The laptop weighs just 1.59 pounds which makes it a superb travel laptop. It also comes with an attachable keyboard that can be detached if you wish to use the laptop in touch screen mode.
For the price it’s on offer, the T300 is one of the best travel laptops under $500. It boasts a good design and some good technical features as well which makes it a laptop worth buying.
Who should buy this?
- It is a very good investment for those who need the services of both a laptop and a tablet while traveling.
- The spacious keyboard enables an individual to do extensive typing related work while on the move.
- The neutral color balance and 330 nits of average brightness on the display screen make it a suitable laptop for those who spend a lot of time editing pictures or watching videos.
- Effective internal cooling makes it suitable for those who keep their laptop switched on for long hours.
Asus T300CHI Transformer Book Pros & Cons
- Stylish aluminum design
- An effective internal cooling system
- Detachable keyboard
- Slow processor
- Bad audio output
Best Travel Laptop for Regular Use
If you are on a tight budget, then the Asus E403MA is the perfect laptop for you. It is one of the most economical yet powerful laptop out there. It comes with a 14-inch screen which can support a resolution of 1366 x 768, which is good for the price its available for. It is a perfect laptop because it runs on Windows 10 and boasts a superb battery which lasts for about 7 hours on a single full recharge.
It also comes with a 32 GB HDD which is not much but is of great utility considering the fact this is just a travel laptop. It also comes with a decent 4 GB RAM. It’s certainly one of the best travel laptops under $500.
Who should buy this?
- As the hardware components are very powerful, this device is apt to be carried along while traveling.
- For a budget laptop, it has enough connectivity ports and that should come in handy for travelers who like to connect multiple peripherals at the same time.
- The Intel Celeron N3060 lends good enough speed to the device and will seldom let the user complain about slowing down.
- Suitable for travelers who primarily use their laptop for video consumption, internet browsing and typing based activities.
ASUS L402SA Pros & Cons
- Moderately priced
- Available in three colors
- Vibrant display screen
- Low battery life
- Lots of bloatware
Best Travel Laptop for Chromebook Users
Samsung Touch Screen Chromebook
The tiny laptop hardly measures 8.72 x 11.04 x .55 inches. It also weighs a mere 2.4 pounds which makes it a very handy laptop, especially when it comes to traveling long distances. It features an LED screen of 12.3 inches and can be rotated throughout the 360 degrees with ease. The screen is highly durable as it is made of Gorilla Glass 3. Some of its fancy technical features include a DDR3 RAM of 4GB along with 32 GB of pure flash drive memory.
Over the years, Chromebooks have gotten powerful and operate on the Chrome OS and are also able to run Google Play store apps. The overall experience is amazing! The Samsung Chromebook has managed to woo the crowd with its stylish looks and amazing technical features. It can do almost anything a regular Windows PC can do.
Who should buy this?
- Travelers who are specific about buying a Chromebook should opt for this model based on its solid build quality.
- Suitable for those who use both Android and Chrome-based applications as the system supports both kinds equally well.
- The one-year warranty takes care of accidental damage and proves to be very useful for people traveling long distances.
- With 100GB of free storage on Google Drive for two years, it is an apt device for those who store a lot of data on their laptop.
Samsung Touch Screen Chromebook Pros & Cons
- Good display screen
- Strong and reliable build
- Very fast processor
- No backlit keyboard
- Price on the higher side for a Chromebook
Best Travel Laptop with Multi-Tasking Ability
HP Notebook 15
The HP Notebook 15 comes with a 15.6-inch screen and can support video quality of 1366×768 which is very good. It is also equipped with a 500 GB HDD, a DVD burner, A VGA Webcam with microphone, etc. It includes a host of utility ports such as 3 USB slots, an Ethernet slot and a 3.5 mm headphone jack as well. This laptop is powered by a 4GB RAM which ensures that it can run multiple applications without any difficulty. This is not something you find in all travel laptops in this price segment, and the Notebook 15 certainly stands out.
The laptop is handy in size and measures a mere 10 x 15.1 x .9 inches. It also comes with an excellent battery which lasts about 6 hours on a full single charge. Hence, it’s one of the best travel laptops under $500.
Who should buy this?
- If you wish to use your laptop as your primary storage device, the 500GB hard drive will let you do that.
- Suitable for those who like to carry out multiple functions on their laptop at one go.
- It is adept at performing day-to-day activities. So it works wonderfully for those who need a good personal computer.
- The multi-touch enabled screen is suitable for users who like to use the most upgraded technology.
HP Notebook 15 Pros & Cons
- Fairly priced
- HDMI port present
- Sleek black design
- The hard drive runs slow
- Low resolution
Best Travel Laptop with Portability Feature
Surface 3 by Microsoft
Surface 3 comes with an LED display of 10.8 inches and can support video resolutions of up to 1920 x 1280. It runs on a powerful Intel Atom Z8700 processor which is just about perfect for a travel laptop. It is also powered by a 2 GB RAM along with a flash memory of 64 GB capacity which makes it a very fast laptop.
Microsoft has often labeled Surface 3 as a tablet computer that can easily replace any laptop. The main feature of this laptop is the portability it offers. It weighs only 1.37 pounds which is very handy if you are a person who is always on the go and want a light laptop to carry along.
It also comes with a few useful utility ports which are helpful while traveling. It comes with an SD card reader, a Mini Display Port, 2 USB ports, etc. As part of the total cost, you will also get a one-year full subscription to Office 365 along with some amazing inbuilt apps. Here comes the best part! It boasts a super battery which can last a staggering 10 hour on a full charge. This makes it an amazing traveling buddy.
Who should buy this?
- With LED display and a 1920 x 1280 screen resolution, it is the most suitable device for people who consume a lot of video content.
- If you need a laptop that works very fast, the 64 GB flash memory will ensure that you have very little to complain about.
- It is suitable for travelers who need a laptop and a tablet in equal measures.
- Those are travel from one place to another frequently, should benefit from its light-weight design and super-portability function.
Surface 3 by Microsoft Pros & Cons
- Excellent build
- Good Type Cover design
- Uncomfortable keyboard
- Only 2GB RAM
Frequently Asked Questions
Is storage important in a travel laptop?
It depends on an individual’s requirements. If you save a lot of videos for watching during travel, yes, storage is critical. Similarly, if you click a lot of photos on your mobile camera and wish to transfer them to your laptop, the storage part is important. If you use Cloud storage for the photos, then this is not so significant.
Do I get a backpack along with every travel laptop?
Most laptop brands add the backpack as a standard supply along with their laptops. You can ask the seller if it is included. Even if you don’t get a free backpack, a laptop bag doesn’t cost much. You can choose a good one that can accommodate more than just the laptop.
If I like a laptop but its price is more than $500, should I buy it for travel?
It is your call, ultimately. The suggestion of a $500 price has been given assuming that you are buying it just for travel purposes. If you invest more, you should be able to put it for use for other regular purposes as well and you wouldn’t be wrong in doing so.
Do laptops carry a warranty for damage/breakage due to a fall?
Normally, the warranty for laptops may not include damage due to accidents, like a fall. However, some brands offer this as an additional warranty coverage for an extra payment at the time of buying. The other alternative is for you to cover it with an insurance policy.
Are laptop chargers common like in mobile phones?
No. Laptops are sold with adaptors which may or may not fit in another laptop. Often, within the same brand of laptops, battery charging adaptors cannot be interchanged. It may be a great idea to universalize the charging port for laptops across brands.
When you buy a laptop for use during travel, you must first analyze what you would primarily need the laptop for. This can help you take your pick from those laptops that have the features that match your requirements. For example, devices with wide-angle screens and/or Dolby speakers are worth looking into if you are looking for a system to entertain yourself when you are on the move. If you are using it for business or work, looking for ones with decent RAM and memory specifications are ideal because you are likely to do a lot of multitasking. Last, but not the least, if looks matter to you, check out those laptops with multiple color options and a metallic finish.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.