Music production is no child’s play and if you are looking for the best laptop for music production then you may be flooded with a lot of options. It requires serious work to ensure that you produce something that is worthwhile. This means that you need the right device and appropriate software to help you create the right music for your listeners. This can give way to a number of factors like the right operating system, the kind of software you use, what abilities you need in the laptop, whether a touchscreen will be helpful or not and what are the devices that it may be hooked up to. All these things can make a huge difference in your selection. And in the end, your budget will inevitably steer your choices too.
If you have a home studio and are looking for a laptop to produce the best tracks, check out this list of laptops to make an informed purchase. Some of them are low budget, while others are priced high.
During music production, you might have to keep several tabs open and several programs running. Such usage needs a higher RAM as well as graphics power, so it is better to select laptops having at least 16 GB of RAM. The CPU should also be fast enough to allow you to file mixes and process it quickly. Intel i7 chipsets are excellent and so are Intel i5 processors. You may also have to select the right operating system, based on the recording software that you use. Both Mac and Windows OS are suitable for audio processing, but some software like Logic Pro works only on Apple computers. Let’s check out laptops that meet the minimum requirements for music production.
See also- Top Best Laptops Under $200 Of 2019
The best laptops for music production provide the hardware and software required for the seamless creation of music of any genre. Many of these hardware and software aspects have been broadly touched upon in the above introductory paragraphs. There may be a need to delve a little deeper and understand the details of the specifications and some features unique to laptops for music production.
The processor and RAM have already been dealt with. The rest of them are detailed below.
- Display Size: The laptop for music production should preferably have a larger display than the regular machines. There may be more than one individual involved in music production at a time and a large screen helps. Similarly, there may be the need to play two videos side by side on the same screen. Look for a 17-inch display or at least a 15.6-inch one.
- Audio Output: You must look for laptops that have an additional focus on the audio reproduction function. Extra speakers and Dolby audio support can be useful. You may add external speakers to enhance the sound delivery as well.
- Graphics Support: For better music production with the video, you would need a solid graphics support as well. The best ones in the market are from NVIDIA. Check if the laptop you are choosing has the latest in the NVIDIA range fitted in it.
- Storage: You must have sufficient onboard storage to save all the music files you have created on the laptop. The minimum you should look for is 1TB. Anything higher will be a bonus.
- Connectivity: The laptop for music production should have the best connectivity options both in terms of the ports and the software. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth options are the general standards. You may be connecting other devices during music production. Satisfy yourself while buying that all those are enabled on the machine.
- Software Compatibility: You may find some laptops have a wider scope for downloading the special software you require for music production than other laptops. Spend some time studying these and pick the best machine.
- Battery: Music production may require you to carry the laptop and play the videos outside your studio. Check the battery life before you decide on ordering the laptop for music production.
- Price: Price will be a consideration particularly if you are starting on your career to becoming a maestro. Interestingly, you have laptops for music production in a wide price range. Choose the one that suits your pocket.
Best Laptops For Music Production
Powerhouse Performance with Stunning Infinity Edge Screen Display
Dell XPS 15 9560
The Dell XPS 15 is powered by the quad-core, 7th generation Intel Core i7 with a cache of 6 MB, and clocks at a speed of 2.8 GHz. It can go up to a maximum turbo speed of 3.8 GHz using the Intel Turbo Boost 2.0. The RAM is 32 GB and the memory speed is 2400 MHz with 1 TB of PCIe SSD. This is combined with the dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4 GB graphics card. The laptop is supported by the Windows 10 Home, 64 bit OS.
It comes with an ultra HD 4K display of 15.6 inches with a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels, offering the Infinity Edge touchscreen display. The dimensions are 21 x 12 x 2 inches and the weight is 6 pounds. As for connectivity, there are 2 USB 3.0 ports; with one USB C/Thunderbolt 3 and one HDMI port; one SD card slot; along with one combination jack for the headphone and microphone.
- A business-class laptop suitable for music production, for those who are interested in a powerful performance in an industrial design
- Those who want a lot of connectivity options
- Those looking for a comfortable and full-sized keyboard with more lateral space.
- Suitable for music production, as there’s enough room on the display screen for two full-size windows.
- Ideal if you’re looking for a fast and capable processor for producing music.
- Also suitable for gaming with the graphics card comfortably tackling new games and looking great on the display.
Dell XPS 15 9560 Pros & Cons
- Speedy performance
- Excellent IPS display
- Sturdy build
- CPU throttle at high load
- Quite expensive
Serious Powerhouse with Sleek Frame for Music Production
Razer Blade Stealth 13.3 inches
It is powered by the dual-core 7th generation Intel Core i7 -8550U clocking at a speed of 1.8 GHz, which can be ramped up to 4.0 GHz in turbo mode. It has a RAM of 16 GB with a memory speed of 1866 MHz. This is combined with an Intel HD Graphics card 620. The hard drive capacity is 256 GB SSD.
The display is an LED backlight LCD technology-enabled widescreen with an image ratio of 16:9 with a diagonal size of 33.8 inches. It has a QHD display with a screen resolution of 3200 x 1800 pixels and wide viewing angles. The dimensions of the laptop are 12.7 x 8.1 x 0.5 inches (WDH) and it weighs 2.98 pounds. It is supported by the Windows 10 OS. It is available in a black finish with a sleek, professional design.
As for connectivity options, there are 2 USB 3.0 ports; one USB C Thunderbolt 3 port; one HDMI port and one combination jack for the headphone and microphone. Battery life is only about 5 hours.
- Those looking for an ultraportable laptop with a powerful processor for producing music
- Professionals who want to launch several tabs simultaneously without lag
- Suitable for playing some popular gaming titles on high settings
- Ideal for those looking for a stylish and productive notebook that can also be used as a gaming machine.
Razer Blade Stealth 13.3 inches Pros & Cons
- Vibrant 4k touch feature
- Solid build
- Lightweight and portable
- Razor-thin profile
- Short battery life
Unadulterated Power with 4K UHD NanoEdge Display
Asus ZenBook Pro UX550VE-DB71T Premium
This is a 15.6 inches notebook with Nano Edge, Full HD touchscreen display screen with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. The notebook comes with an elegant finish at merely 18.9 mm thickness. It is powered by the 7th generation, Kaby Lake Intel Core i7-7700HQ, quad-core processor with a RAM of 16 GB DDR4. The CPU runs clocking a speed of 2.8 GHz, which can be boosted to 3.8 GHz in turbo mode. This is combined with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GPU. The hard drive has storage of 1 TB SSD.
For connectivity, it has one HDMI port; 2 USB 3.1 Type C generation 2 with Thunderbolt; 2 USB Type 3.0 Type-A ports.
It runs on the Windows 10 Professional OS. The dimensions are 14.4 x 0.7 x 9.9 inches (WHD) and it weighs 3.97 pounds. The bezel is incredibly thin, so there is more display and less of the frame. The capacitive touch of the NanoEdge screen display comes with ten-point support for multi-touch, an ASUS Pen, for sketching and annotating and it is also suitable for intuitive navigation for music production.
- Those who are looking for a powerful, travel-friendly laptop for music production that they can carry anywhere
- Suitable for gaming, with gaming-grade graphics to tackle graphics-intensive tasks like 3D rendering and 4K UHD playback.
- Suitable for designers, developers and gamers.
Asus ZenBook Pro UX550VE-DB71T Premium Pros & Cons
- Versatile port selection
- Light and portable
- Good battery life
- No 4k display option
- Poor cooling solution
Solid Performance with a Snazzy Design
Asus ROG Strix
This is a 15.6 inch full HD, wide view display panel with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. It is slim at 0.9 inches thickness and weighs just 5.6 pounds. It is powered by the Intel Core i7-7700HQ clocking at a speed of 2.8 GHz. This can be enhanced to 3.8 GHz in the turbo mode. The RAM is 16 GB DDR SDRAM 2400 MHz. This is combined with the 6 GB NVIDIA, GeForce GTX 1050 4 GB graphics card. The hard drive storage is 256 GB SSD along with 1 TB Hybrid drive and a rotational speed of 7200 rpm.
For connectivity, there are 3 USB 3.0 ports; 1 USB 3.1 port Type C; 1 USB 2.0; one HDMI port; one Mini display port; one combo jack for the headphone and microphone; one RF45 LAN port. The dimensions of the Asus ROG Strix are 15.1 x 0.3 x 0.8 inches.
ASUS also comes with an Android app for the ROG Gaming center, so that users can monitor the system remotely while gaming.
- Those looking for a general-purpose notebook for music production and gaming
- It is an ideal system for multiplayer online games as well
- Suitable for music producers who do a lot of typing, with keys being the right size and comfortable as well as responsive.
- Ideal for those looking for a mid-priced laptop for work.
Asus ROG Strix Pros & Cons
- Attractive design
- Good battery life
- Excellent display
- Solid build
- Loud fans
- Poor gaming performance
Ultimate Music Production and Gaming Platform
2019 Premium Asus ROG Strix Edition
The screen is 17.3 inches of an anti-glare panel having a Full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels, with a slim profile of 0.9 inches. The dimensions are 16.5 x 11.1 inches and the weight is 6.45 pounds.
It comes with an advanced system for Anti Dust cooling for gaming. There is sync lighting feature for customizing gaming setup. It is powered by the 7th generation Kaby Lake, Intel Core i7-7700HQ, the quad-core chipset that clocks at a speed of 2.8 GHz, which can be ramped to 3.8 GHz in the turbo mode, with 6 MB cache. This is combined with the NVIDIA GeForce 1060 6 GB graphics offering stunning visuals. It also offers support for a RAM of 16 GB with dual-channel DDR4 SDRAM, a memory speed of 2133 MHz, with 1 TB SSD Hybrid drive and 256 GB SSD.
For connectivity purposes, there is a Bluetooth 4.1 version; 3 USB 3.0 ports; 1 USB 3.2 port Type C; 1 USB 2.0 port; one HDMI port; one Mini display port; one combo port for the headphone and microphone and one RJ45 LAN port. It is supported by the Windows 10 Home OS.
- Those looking for a powerful professional laptop for music production.
- Perfectly suitable for working professionals and gaming on the go
- Professional music producers and hobbyists, who want a notebook with excellent audio, as it makes use of the smart amp technology for producing optimized sound
2019 Premium Asus ROG Strix Edition Pros & Cons
- Compact build
- Comfortable keyboard
- Excellent display
- Great battery life
- Subpar visual aesthetics
Huge Laptop with Large Screen and Battery
Acer Aspire E15
It is a 15.6 inches, FHD IPS LED screen display with a resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels. It is powered by the 7th generation, dual-core, Intel i7-7500U clocking at a speed of 2.7 GHz, which can be ramped to 3.5 GHz in the turbo mode along with 4 MB Cache. This has been combined with the Intel HD Graphics 620 graphics card. The RAM is 8 GB DDR4 and the storage is 256 GB SSD.
As for the ports, there are 2 USB 3.0 ports; one USB 2.0 port; one VGA; one Ethernet; one HDMI port; and one USB C port.
The dimensions of the Acer Aspire E15 are 15 x 1.2 x 10.2 inches and the weight is 5.29 pounds. The battery has a capacity of 2800 mAh.
- Music producers looking for a large and thick laptop with a DVD writer within.
- For users who want a big battery in their notebooks
- Ideal for professionals needing modern hardware at a reasonable price
Acer Aspire E15 Pros & Cons
- Long battery life
- Colorful display
- Good performance
- Plenty of ports
- Poor webcam quality
- Dim screen
Borderless Beauty for Music Production
Dell XPS 13 9365
This is a 13.3 inches 2 in 1 laptop with a Full HD touchscreen and InfinityEdge display. It has an edge to edge touchscreen with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels and support for 10 finger multi-touches. It has a flip design and can be used in different flexible positions, as a tablet; tent; laptop or in the stand mode.
It is powered by the Intel Core i7-7Y75 processor clocking at a speed of 1.3 GHz and a turbo boost up to a maximum of 3.6 GHz. This is combined with a RAM of 8 GB LPDDR3 and hard drive storage of 256 GB SSD. The graphics card is an integrated Intel HD Graphics 620.
The dimensions of these 2 in 1 are 12 x 7.8 x 0.3 inches (WDH) and the weight is 5 pounds. It is supported by the Windows 10 Home, 64-bit edition. The battery has a capacity of 46 Wh. As for connectivity, there is one Thunderbolt 3 cum Display port; one USB C 3.1 port cum display port; one combo jack of headphone and microphone. Battery life averages about 8 hours, depending on the applications used.
- Professionals who want a thin, light and mobile 2 in 1 powerhouse for work and play.
- Those who want a quiet laptop to use in a coffeehouse or in a meeting.
- Ideal for those looking for flexible positions in their notebook while working or surfing.
Dell XPS 13 9365 Pros & Cons
- Excellent build quality
- Comfortable trackpad
- Stylish keyboard
- Limited connectivity options
- Average battery life
Impressive Performance to Go with the Great Looks
HP Spectre X360 15
It is a 15.6 inches 4K touchscreen display coming with an active support for a stylus. The screen resolution is 3840 x 2160 pixels.
This version is powered by the Kaby Lake G processor and this is combined with the Radeon RX Vega, discrete graphics card. It is a 360-degree convertible notebook. It is powered by the 8th generation Intel Core i7-8705G processor clocking at a speed of 1.8 GHz, which can be boosted to a maximum of 4 GHz using the Turbo mode. The RAM is 16 GB DDR4/2400. This is combined with the NVIDIA GeForce MX150, 2 GB GDDR5 dedicated graphics card.
The HP Spectre X360 comes with a RAM of 16 GB DDR4, 2400 SDRM with 512 GB PCle. As for connectivity, there is one Thunderbolt 3; one USB 3.1 port type C gen 1; one USB 3.1 Gen 1; one HDMI port; and one combo jack for headphone and microphone.
The dimensions of the notebook are 14 x 9.9 x 0.7 inches and it weighs 12.3 ounces. The battery life averages about 8 hours.
- Those who are looking for powerful and fast performance for music production on their laptops.
- Good for both work and play, rather blurring the lines between being a professional mainstream laptop and a gaming machine.
HP Spectre X360 15 Pros & Cons
- Vibrant screen
- Luxurious design
- Solid performance
- Excellent keyboard
- Average battery life
Other laptops worth buying
Best Laptop For Music Production From Apple
Apple MacBook Pro MLW72LL/A
This 15.4-inch laptop is sleek, stylish and powerful. For music enthusiasts, this laptop provides the ability to install heavy software programs without worrying about losing the performance of the laptop. It runs on Mac OS Sierra. So if you prefer the Mac OS over Windows then this may be the right choice for you. The 15.4-inch screen helps users easily work on music software that needs more screen real estate to work effectively. The 2.6 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor ensures buttery smooth performance while the 256GB memory helps you store your music files without having to worry about running out of storage space too quickly.
- Those who wish to have a powerful and lightweight notebook with great battery life.
- Those who have an ample budget and want to own a solid performing gadget can opt for this laptop.
- People who give more preference to looks can choose this True Toned Technology-enabled laptop.
Apple MacBook Pro MLW72LL/A Pros & Cons
- Powerful speakers
- Lightweight and sleek design
- Versatile touch trackpad
- High-resolution display
- No SD card slot
Laptop For Music Production With Detachable Design
Microsoft Surface Book
While those who like Apple products may choose the MacBook Pro, users who are more comfortable with Windows OS will have a larger spectrum of laptops to choose from. The Surface Book is also a 2-in-1 device that can be converted into a laptop for portability. It makes work a lot easier and it also makes working enjoyable. The Intel Core i5 processor with 8GB RAM and 128GB storage ensures smooth performance without having to worry about lag or delay in using software programs. The laptop has an amazing 12-hour video playback capability which ensures that you wouldn’t have to worry about charging your device time and again while you are in the studio. It has the ability to run heavy software without falling short of its performance. The detachable design makes it easy to carry it around and use it whenever you are inspired by music.
- Those users who are looking for a high-performance laptop that will have excellent battery life.
- People who prefer to invest in one laptop and are not fond of changing gadgets frequently can go for this laptop.
- For those who are in remote working facilities, this is a portable laptop that can be taken anywhere without hassles.
Microsoft Surface Book Pros & Cons
- Gorgeous design
- Well-constructed and distinctive design
- Comfortable keyboard
- Amazing battery life
- Cost factor is a concern
- Bulky size
Best Laptop For Music Production With Large Screen
Acer Aspire V17
Those who like larger screens for their laptops will find the 17.3-inch Acer Aspire laptop to be a great device. It packs an Intel Core i7 chipset accompanied with 8GB RAM and 1TB hard drive storage. It runs on Windows 10 Home and has a backlit keyboard to make working in dim lighting conditions easier. Working on this laptop for long hours is easy because of its DustDefender fan that keeps away the dirt and grit from entering a laptop and ensures that it stays cool. The visuals are impeccable and the performance exceeds expectations. Keeping huge software programs in mind, this laptop can be useful for those in music production.
- Those who spend a long time working on laptops. Its Dustdefender fan prevents dirt and dust from entering the laptop and keeping it cool.
- People who are looking for a laptop that has impeccable visuals and high performance can go for this laptop.
- Those who work in dim lights. Its backlit keyboard makes working at night much easier.
Acer Aspire V17 Pros & Cons
- Light and thin
- Dualband WLAN
- Solid build
- Nicely illuminated keyboard
- Low contrast
Best Laptops From Lenovo With Good Display
Lenovo IdeaPad Y700
The IdeaPad Y700 is known to be great for gaming, but what people don’t know is that its performance makes it perfect for music production too. The Intel i7 processor is matched with 4GB memory to provide smooth performance during your recording sessions. The full HD 14-inch screen offers comfortable viewing and its lightweight design makes it easily portable. It is a great laptop for those who need high performance and good sound and display quality. The laptop is sleek and has a great design which increases its appeal. The RAM can be upgraded for those who would want more power. Overall it is a decent laptop with good performance and an affordable price tag.
- Those who have a tight budget. This laptop offers a combination of the latest features plus affordability.
- People who are looking for a good laptop with an amazing IPS display, multimedia performance and regular tasks can consider this gadget.
- Those who are new into the gaming culture and wish to learn the fundamentals of this domain.
Lenovo IdeaPad Y700 Pros & Cons
- Solid performance
- IPS display
- Excellent audio
- Stylish and strongly built
- No Macro keys
- No USB-C port
Laptops For Music Production From Dell
Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK
The 6th Gen Intel Core i7 processor, 8GB RAM, its 15.6-inch screen, A huge 1TB HDD, a quickly accessible 8GB SSD and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M card makes this Dell laptop a high-performing device which can make music production the sheer joy. The backlit keyboard gives you the chance to use the laptop even in darker environs and the responsive touchpad makes it easy for you to control music software programs. While it has a substantial amount of HDD storage space, the laptop also features SSD memory for music that you may want to access quickly.
- Those who are looking for a good GPU and CPU performance should invest in this model.
- People who love to do gaming without any hassles can opt for this laptop. It comes with a silent fan that keeps the machine cool while at full load.
- If you work at odd hours, the backlit keyboard can help you a lot in a darker environment.
- The responsive touchpad allows the user to control the music options quite easily.
Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK Pros & Cons
- Good connectivity options
- Modern and stylish design
- Amazing gaming experience
- Weak battery life
Laptops For Music Production With Great Battery Life
Asus ZenBook UX305UA
For a laptop that is light and slim, the 13.3 inch Asus ZenBook has a lot more power than what you may imagine at first look. The 6th gen Intel Core i5 Skylake Processor is combined with 8GB RAM to ensure quality performance even when you are using heavyweight music software on it. Your music production experience will be heightened with this laptop that features a speedy 256GB SSD storage. With 10 hours of battery life to keep you going for long hours in the studio, the ZenBook is available at an affordable price and makes portability easy too.
- The people who are looking out for a solid performing laptop plus excellent battery backup, this can be the best pick for them.
- Those who like to work on matte IPS, contrast-rich and bright screen can go for this laptop.
- Those who are looking for a budget-friendly laptop that can offer advanced functions.
Asus ZenBook UX305UA Pros & Cons
- Amazing features
- Affordable price
- Comfortable keyboard
- Good trackpad
- No backlit keyboard
Laptop For Music Production From HP
HP Envy x360
Flexible 2-in-1 laptops are great for those who use their laptop regularly on and off work to look for music, record, try new software programs and listen to their productions. The Intel Core i5 processor with 8GB memory promises great performance and smooth running so that you do not have to deal with lag while working at the studio. It offers a lot of connectivity options too, to ensure that you can easily hook up the laptop with other peripherals. The 15.6-inch touchscreen enhances the functionality of this music production laptop by giving it the ability to be used in a variety of ways. It has a backlit keyboard that can help you work in dimly lit areas as well.
- This laptop comes with lots of connectivity options and enables the studio professionals to work smoothly.
- The touch-screen options enable users to use this laptop in different ways.
- Those who work late at night. Its backlit keyboard offers ample lighting for a darker environment.
HP Envy x360 Pros & Cons
- Excellent performance
- Comfortable keyboard and I/O options
- Value for money
- Solid build
- Average battery life
Frequently Asked Questions
Is touchscreen necessary on a laptop for music production?
The touchscreen feature can be useful in the laptop for music production. When you are making the choice, if all other specs are in conformity and you are also getting the touchscreen don’t think twice, order that model. However, you may not choose the laptop on the touchscreen aspect alone.
Is it possible to have all the specs suitable for music production in a laptop and the price also within the affordable range?
Laptops that come with the specs and features you want for music production are always available in the market. The price could also be in the affordable range. However, you may have to do an extensive search for it. On many occasions, you may find one but not near you from where you can buy. In such cases, you can order your laptop online.
What is the role of security in a laptop for music production?
Security is required in every laptop, including the one used for music production. If you are trying to create original tracks, the last thing you want is someone stealing your creativity. Invest in a secure laptop for music production to prevent this crime.
What if I purchased a gaming laptop and used it for all other activities?
There is nothing stopping you from doing that. You have to figure out what you do the maximum amount of time on your laptop and make sure the specifications of the laptop support the task. Gaming laptops do have some impressive specifications but are priced high as well. You have to make a prudent choice.
Are there any additional costs involved or are the prices for laptops quoted on the websites the final ones?
Ecommerce sites usually quote the final price on their platforms, which would include the taxes etc. Some may have delivery charges added separately depending on where you are located or the shipment policy of individual sellers. Check that part.
There were days when it was not possible to get a laptop specifically suitable for music production or recording, as it had to be done on a powerful PC. Today, there are many laptops that can give PCs a run for their money.
These are some of the great options for laptops suitable for music production and podcasts. Try avoiding cheap options, such as Chromebooks, as you will face some serious limitations. Prices tend to go above the $1000 mark. Buy the best one of the list that suits your budget. There are some budget-friendly ones that are certainly up to the mark and it is important to have certain specifications in your laptop for running music software.
These are some of the best laptops for music production. While some of these devices are 2-in-1s which make portability easy, others are laptops only. If you are looking for something that offers higher flexibility in terms of working with the device at different times of the day and in different places, then the 2-in-1s can be a great option. The price of these laptops can also determine your choice. But remember that high-performing laptops may usually cost you more. Keeping music production in mind, we have found these laptops to be some of the best at this time.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.