As far as desktops are concerned, you can either buy a pre-built one or build your own PC. However, due to the high prices of graphics cards and also, because it is difficult, if not impossible, to get hold of a top quality graphics card, it makes sense to go for a prebuilt PC. There are many options for PCs in the top of the line categories, but not everyone wants to spend a bomb getting a desktop. Luckily, there are several options for PCs under $1000 as well. Get the greatest bang for your buck with some of the best desktops under $1000.
While selecting desktops under $1000, you may want to watch out for the RAM, which should ideally be at least 8 GB, especially if you wish to play some of the latest games. You should also be looking at a dedicated Video RAM so that the pressure on the RAM is reduced. However, at this price you cannot expect an Intel i7 processor, so don’t get your hopes high. On the bright side, even these desktops are perfectly capable of running the latest games at a reasonable price.
See also: Best desktops for students
Best desktops under $1000
Getting the Job Done
Lenovo Ideacentre 300s
There’s not much flair in the Lenovo Ideacentre 300s. It has a small tower and several I/O ports. The CPU is decent and the RAM is 16 GB, so it can run Windows effortlessly. The storage space is 2TB 7200 RPM, SATA HD + 8 GB SSD. It runs on Windows 10, 64 bit OS. .
The dimensions are 3.62 x 11.69 x 13.23 inches and the weight is 9 pounds. It is completely black except for a glossy front aluminum panel. However, there is no monitor. You have to buy it separately. It is powered by an Intel Core i5 4460s chipset clocking at a speed of 2.9 GHz.
The Lenovo Ideacentre 300s comes with 2 USB 3.0 ports and 4 USB 2.0 ports. There is also a built-in media card reader and an integrated audio, 5.1. The package includes a wired keyboard along with a mouse. It comes with a super multi burner for DVDs and CDS. It is a budget option for daily users.
- Those who are looking at a basic, affordable PC with simple features, specifications and middling performance, but not excelling in any specific area.
- Best for those who want a budget PC that can handle daily tasks effortlessly, as it packs in all the essentials for getting your job done.
- Ideal for those looking for a compact form, as it doesn’t take up too much space.
- Ideal for students, parents or business people who just want to surf the Internet, web browsing, editing a document, video conferences and so on.
- Not suitable for heavy gaming. Frame rates are not good for heavy games, though lighter games can be handled smoothly.
One of the Best Desktops Under $1000 with Class-Leading Functionalities
Dell Inspiron 3000 3847
This is a mini tower chassis powered by the Intel Core i5 4460 processor, clocking up to a speed of 3.2 GHz, combined with a RAM of 8 GB and 1 TB HDD 7200 RPM. It also comes with a wired Dell optical mouse and a multimedia keyboard. The dimensions of this desktop are 17 x 14.5 x 7 inches and it weighs 20 pounds.
As for connectivity, there are 2 USB 3.0 ports along with 6 USB 2.0 ports. Two of the latter are in the front and 4 of them are positioned at the rear. There is another HDMI port and one VGA port along with an RJ 45 ethernet port. There are 3 stack audio jacks to enable support for a 5.1 surround sound audio, along with one microphone and headphone jack. The desktop runs on Windows 10 Home, 64 bit OS and it offers support for Bluetooth connectivity 4.0 version.
- Those who want to use it for editing images and for viewing a video in HD.
- Those who want a smooth and streamlined web browsing experiences, with Cortana guiding them in online searches.
- Those who want more space for their photos, data or music.
- People who want a good audio and surround sound.
Budget Gaming Desktop: Best in its class
SkyTech ArchAngel GTX 1050Ti
The SkyTech ArchAngel combines an AMD FX6300 chipset clocking at 3.5 GHz with a Turbo up to 4.1 GHz and a 1 TB 7200 RPM hard drive, combined with an NVidia GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB DDR5 graphics card. The gaming memory is 8GB with DDR3 1866 MHz. You can upgrade it to a maximum of 32 GB. There are 9 USB ports: 7 USB 2.0 ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports. In addition, there is one HDMI 2.0b and a 1.4 display port. It is Wi-Fi ready and comes with a free keyboard and a mouse. However, the monitor is not included with the desktop.
The design is science fiction inspired and pleasant on the eyes. It is a mid-tower PC, but not a space saver. The dimensions are 20.2 x 8.5 x 18.2 inches and weigh 27.9 pounds. It also has an optical drive and has plenty of ports, though there is no Type C port. IT comes with Windows 10, 64 bit professional installed. It offers the best mix of features with performance, though it misses peripherals like SSD.
- If you’re looking for a speedy gaming desktop with a subtle, attractive design, this is it, though it may not equal more expensive options.
- Suitable for those looking at a good system memory and storage for several games, video downloads and other entertainment.
- Perfect for those looking for a PC that handles media projects that use Adobe Suites and also has gaming muscle.
Flash and Muscle with Premium Components
CyberpowerPC Gamer Master GMA2200A
It is one of the first PCs that fuse the new AMD Ryzen 7 CPU with the AMD Radeon RX 580 4 GB graphics card. The desktop is well configured and is good for gaming. It looks elegant and packs in a fine set of features in a tower chassis. The product dimensions are 17.6 x 7.8 x 18.6 inches and it weighs 32 pounds.
It also has an optical drive included, which is handy when you want to access files from old DVDs. As for ports, there are 2 USB 3.1 ports; one microphone and one headphone port in the front. At the rear, there are 4 USB ports 3.0; 4 USB ports 2.0; 1 HDMI port; 1 DisplayPort; one DVI port. There is no built-in Wi-Fi, so you need a USB adapter.
The hard drive offers storage of 2 TB 7200 rpm HDD but there is no SSD, though you can add one for more speed. The device includes a gaming keyboard along with a mouse. The CPU is an AMD Ryzen 7 1700, combined with an AMD Radeon RX 580, 4 GB, graphics card with a system memory of 16 GB DDR4. The processor is a high end one clocking at a speed of 3.0 GHz. It is VR Ready. Frame rates are impressive and the VR ready feature is an added bonus.
- Gaming and movies. There is enough storage present for all your games and movies and the performance is speedy.
- Apart from gaming, it is also suitable for video editing, photo editing etc.
- Suitable for those looking for performance combined with budget.
- Ideal for handling heavy workloads with efficient processing capabilities
Decent and Compact Gaming PC
Asus GR8 II -TO69Z VR Ready, Mini PC Gaming
It offers a fast gaming experience due to the top end Intel Kaby Lake processor combined with the Nvidia GeForce, GTX 1060 graphics card. It is also VR ready for Oculus Rift and the like.
It is powered by the Intel Core i7 7700 processor clocking at a speed of 3.6 GHz with a maximum of 4.2 GHz with a memory of 8 GB DDR4. This is combined with the GTX 1060 6G GPU, ensuring smooth and unstoppable gaming along with 4K streaming capabilities.
The side buttons can be configured and are of the magnetic type. This offers an ergonomic mouse suitable for gaming.
- Gaming, if you want a prebuilt compact PC for playing 1080p games at 60 fps with top quality presets for most games.
- Ideal for those looking for a fast gaming experience, faster than the current consoles.
- Suitable for those who want a VR ready PC.
- Those who want a gaming style design for their PCs. Others might find the design a little loud or ugly.
- Those looking for a portable PC.
Decent and Reliable Performance
Dell Inspiron 5675 VR Gaming PC
It is powered by the AMD Ryzen 5, 1400 chipset clocking at a speed of 3.2 GHz and comes with 32 GB DDR4 with 2400 MHz memory. This is combined with the AMD Radeon RX 570 graphics card with 1TB hard drive 7200 RPM. The chassis is stylish and it offers a solid gaming experience.
The look is streamlined and sensible along with some gaming aesthetics and a good build quality. At the rear, it comes with the usual ports, 6 USB A ports; one Ethernet port; 5 audio jacks for input and output; 2 PS/2 ports; 2 HDMI ports and Display ports. As for the front, it has 4 USB A ports, one SD card reader; one headphone jack; and one USB C port
It is possible to upgrade the gaming desktop using a 256 GB drive for around $100. The PC ships along with an optical mouse and a keyboard, so all you need to buy additionally is a monitor.
- Those looking for a solid gaming performance at a reasonable price.
- Those who want a chic, expensive looking device.
- Suitable if you need plenty of ports for plugging accessories.
Great Hardware without Blowing the Budget
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop
The dimensions of the HP Pavilion desktop are 0.29 x 9.23 x 16.3 inches and the weight is 15 pounds. It is a budget gaming PC powered by the Intel Core i5 7400 combined with a Nvidia GTX 1060 3 GB graphics card, with a RAM of 8 GB DDR4-2400 and storage of 1 TB HDD 7200 rpm. The processor clocks at a speed of 3.0 GHz and can be powered up to 3.50 GHz if necessary. The advantage of this graphics card is that the power consumption is low and it also does not generate much heat.
The video memory is only 3 GB. HP has made use of their Odense2-K for the motherboard. As for the ports, there are 2 USB 2.0 ports; one Ethernet; 2 HDMI out ports; 2 USB 3.0 ports; and 3 audio ports. The memory is 2 x 4 GB RAM sticks, totaling 8 GB, which can be upgraded to 16 GB. As for storage, there is one 1TB hard drive coming pre-installed using Windows 10 and offers enough space for games and files. You can add an SSD if you want to upgrade it. Peripherals include a basic keyboard along with a mouse. Its highlights are that it supports gaming, uses low power and generates less heat.
- Those interested in buying an entry level, budget or mid-level gaming desktops.
- Those who want to get a gaming PC at an affordable price. Not suitable if you’re looking for a top end gaming PC, though you can upgrade some parts of the PC.
- Suitable for gaming at Full HD 1080 pixels but not for high-resolution games, like 4K
- Also useful for those who want to run demanding programs, such as CAD programs or Photoshop.
All in One Touchscreen on a Budget
Acer Chromebase AIO Touch Desktop
The screen is a full HD 23.8 inches in size. You can also save space and put the display on the wall using the VESA mount. The screen resolution is 1920 x 1080 pixels with an aspect ratio of 16:9. The PC is powered by the Intel Core i5 5200U and it clocks at a speed of 2.7 GHz. This is combined with a RAM of 8 GB. The hard drive size is 32 GB SSD.
Touch controls are accurate and responsive. As for the ports, there are 3 3.0 USB ports; one 2.0 port; one HDMI out; one RJ45 Ethernet port and two speakers of 3.0 watts brightness at the back.
The dimensions are 22.9 x 1.4 x 15.8 inches and the weight is 22.3 pounds. It comes with keyboard and mouse included.
- Those looking for a super affordable, all in one desktop with monitor.
- Those looking for a touch model screen on a desktop.
- Those looking for a PC to handle regular, daily tasks.
- Suitable for those who want good video conferencing features.
- Ideal for watching movies, as the aspect ratio makes it look dramatic.
Compact, Fun and Sleek Looking
Lenovo IdeaCentre Y720 Cube
This one is a sleek looking, cube-shaped PC powered by the 7th Gen Intel Core i5 7400 chipset clocking at 3.0 GHz. This processor is combined with the Nvidia GeForce, GTX 1060 either 3 GB or 6 GB graphics card and a RAM of 16 GB DDR4. The hard drive comes with a capacity of 1TB 7200 rpm and the memory speed is 2400 MHz. It operates on Windows 10 Home 64. Along with the PC, you get a keyboard and a mouse.
The dimensions of the desktop are 20 x 18 x 15 inches and the weight is 22 pounds.
- Those looking for a compact, tower PC with a fun, sleek design and good component options.
- Suitable for basic tasks and for gaming at lower end resolutions. Ideal for beginner level or moderate gamers.
Investing in desktops could seem an intimidating proposition with so many options available at different prices. You might think it is nearly impossible to find a good PC for below $1000. It is challenging to find one with a good speed and features to get the best performance for daily tasks and gaming.
However, the above list does seem to fit the bill. These are some of the best deals available on Amazon right now. The PCs are targeted at people who want to play games at a resolution of 1080 pixels, with medium or high graphics settings.