The Search comes under the umbrella of the most essential features of Windows 10. It is presented in the taskbar. The search box allows you to find anything on your computer quickly. After the integration with Bing, you may also search for any queries on the internet. Although the search is having very useful functionality, this feature doesn’t get many fans among users, until and unless the search box making them angry when it stops working. It happens because of the current updates done by Microsoft for Windows 10. When your search box unexpectedly stops working for you, these are the ways to fix search problems in Windows 10.
Let’s get started!
See also: How to check the storage on Windows 10
Ways to fix search problems in Windows 10
By restarting the Search Box
This is a simple and effective tool to repair your search box. To do this, follow the below steps:
- Select Task Manager by clicking on the taskbar.
- When the Task Manager window appears, select Detail.
- Next, right-click SearchUI.exeand after that choose End task.
- Then click on the End process.
Whenever you use search after completing the above-mentioned steps the search process will automatically restart. In case this doesn’t work, try out the next solution.
By restarting your device
This is the very basic, easiest and effective way to fix the malfunctioning of any feature and you can give it a try to fix Windows search. Follow the step:
- Press Alt+f4
- Select Restart
- And press Ok
Now your system will restart and bring back all the functions of Windows search. If this doesn’t work, try the next solution.
By Resetting Windows 10 Search
If your device is still having a problem with the search option. Try resetting the search. But before doing that, first check the version of installed Windows, because the reset process depends on it.
- Click on the Start button
- Open Settings
- Then select System
- “About” has been appeared at the bottom of the screen, click on it to open.
- Then, check the version stated under the heading of “Windows Specifications”.
On successful completion of the above steps, you’ll be aware of the version running on the system.
- Windows 10, Version 1809 and Earlier
In case the system you are using is installed with model/version of 1809, update of October 2018, or an earlier release, then follow the below steps to reset windows search.
- Select theStart button.
- Then Right-click on Cortanaappeared from the “All apps” list.
- Click the Moreoption.
- Then select the option “Appsettings”.
- At the end, click on the Resetbutton.
Once you have completed the steps above, the search will start working as before.
- Windows 10, Version 1903 and Later
In case the system you are using is installed with model/version of 1903, updated May 2019, then follow the steps below:
Note: Administrator permission is required to complete the process.
- First thing first, you are required to download the file by clicking the given link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/100295
Then save the downloaded file to the local folder
- Check the saved file and choose Run with Power Shell
- Then the system asks for permission, choose “Yes”
- In case an error appears on your screen, type the below-mentioned command and then press the Enter key
After the confirmation of the policy, you need to note it down, in case the word Restricted appears on your screen.
- Then type the commands given below.
Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope CurrentUser -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted
It’s time to select Enter key after given commands.
In case, an alert appears on the screen then you need to simply select Y from your keyboard, and move towards by pressing Enter to proceed.
- Then enter the command mentioned below:
- After pressing key R, use Enter to confirm.
- Enter the below-mentioned command and press the Enter key:
- Type Y and by pressing Enter key, confirm your selection.
After the successful completion of the steps, the malfunctioning of the search will be fixed.