Samsung has brought Android 4.4 KitKat update for Galaxy S3 and here are the simple steps to update Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4 KitKat based CM 11 unofficial build. The steps that I am going to describe here are for Samsung Galaxy S3 model I9300 updates.
Things you should do before update Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4 KitKat
Before starting off updating Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4 KitKat, you should maintain few things.
1. First of all, backup all the important data in your Samsung Galaxy S3.
2. Download all the USB drivers for Galaxy S3 in your computer and install them. In most cases, Windows 8 and 7 can automatically install drivers
Enable USB debugging option. To enable that
- Go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Developer Options
- Tap on it and make sure that USB debugging is enabled
3. Install the recovery tool ClockworkMod before updating the Android 4.4 KitKat.
4. Before starting off updating Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4 KitKat, make sure that your Galaxy S3 is carrying more than 80% charge.
Steps to update Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4 KitKat
Before you start off updating your Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android KitKat, you have to:
- Download crDroid custom ROM
- Using USB cable, connect your Galaxy I9300 with your computer. Then copy the downloaded files to the Galaxy’s SD card.
- Now disconnect your Phone from the computer and turn off your Samsung Galaxy S3.
- Boot the device in recovery mode. To do that, press the power button, volume up and down buttons and hold them until you see the Samsung logo on the screen. Release the keys free for half a second and again hold them. Scroll down the screen using Volume keys and select option using the Power button. Also, you can use quick boot app to reboot your phone in recovery mode.
- Then create an Android backup of your current ROM. Do that by selecting Backup and Restore, then Backup.
- After completing the backup process, go back to the main recovery menu.
- The next step is data wiping tasks. Perform Wipe Data or Factory Reset (It will take few minutes)
- After completing this step, go to wipe cache partition. Then tap on Advance, and then click Wipe Dalvik Cache. It will clear the Dalvik cache data also.
- Now on your Galaxy S3 main recovery screen go to choose zip from SD card, then select install zip from SD card to update Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4 KitKat.
- Use the volume key and navigate to the ROM zip file you downloaded, copy it to the sd, you can select it with the Power Button
- After the installation is completed successfully, repeat step 7 n 8 and to install Google apps
After completing the installation of both the files, go back to main recovery menu and select the option reboot system now. It will boot up to latest unofficial CM 11 build for Galaxy S3. It may take sometimes while booting.