Without the right software or applications, a device like a smartphone, laptop or computer is nothing. So, searching for the ideal applications is the primary task once we buy a laptop or a smartphone. And if you have recently bought a Mac and wondering how to install apps on Mac, not to worry anymore as this article is all about that.
Just like Google Play store and Apple app store, Apple has also designed a Mac app store that contains all the apps for Mac. So, you can easily get the needed apps from there. However, this is not the one and only options rather many other sources are also available from where you can get the apps you are looking for. Now, let’s get into how to install apps on a Mac.
See also: How to use a Mac as a Wi-Fi hotspot
How To Install Apps On a Mac
Downloading and installing apps on Mac is not a tough job at all and can be handled even if you don’t have a technical background. No prior experience is required, rather just follow the instructions here and you will be good to go.
How to Install Apps On A Mac: From Mac app store
Installing the apps from Mac app store is easy. It requires you to follow some simple 2-3 steps and the apps will be ready to launch and use.
- Open the Mac app store first and search for the app that you need.
- As you locate the app, click on the green button that says ‘Get’/Install app.
- You might be asked to put your Apple ID and password. That’s it and the app will be then available in your Application folder.
This is the most convenient way to install apps on Mac. However, there might be various reasons that require looking for another source to install apps.
How to Install Apps On a Mac: From the Web
In case you have downloaded the app from the internet, then installation process will differ for various apps. The reason is all those apps you will download from the internet will be downloaded in various formats such as .zip. .dmg and .pkg. The installation process of every format is different. However, the process is not tricky at all and you can handle with ease.
Installation process of .zip file:
Installing Zip file is simple. It does not require you to do anything rather just double click on the file and it will be unpacked automatically. But if it is the RAR or 7Zip file the you need to have an unarchiver to open it. After you archive, the application icon will appear on that same folder. So, next what you should do is just drag that icon to the application folder and that’s it.
Installation process of .dmg file
If it is a .dmg file then follow the instruction here.
- First, click on the Finder icon located at the bottom right of your Mac and then click on the download option at the left side.
- As you see the downloaded .dmg file, double click on that. If you get an error message saying the file can’t be opened as it is not downloaded from the Mac store, then right click on that file and select ‘open’.
- Next, follow the on screen instruction.
- The application will be then visible under the Device in Finder.
- Once the app is successfully installed, uninstall the .dmg file by clicking on the eject button located at the next of its name.
- You can then add that app to the dock by dragging it from the Application folder to the dock.
Installation process of .pkg file
If it is a .pkg file then the installation process is nothing but just double click on the file and it will start running automatically. .PKG file can be downloaded directly from the web or else you might also get it inside a .dmg file. Whatever is the case, double clicking on the file will do the job for you. After the successful installation process, it is always good to delete the original .pkg file.
So, this is the entire process to install apps on Mac.
See also: How to rename multiple files on a Mac
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.