Plex platform has only recently added a new feature to its app. All of Plex users can now watch content in virtual reality using Google Daydream. In this article, we will be showing you how to start watching Plex in virtual reality. So, keep reading if you want to start streaming content in VR!
See also: Emby vs. Plex
What is Google Daydream?
Google Daydream is a platform that was launched by Google back in 2016. This is a virtual reality app for Android users. You are able to get many VR content using Google Daydream. Of course, your phone must support Google Daydream, and also, your virtual reality glasses must support it too. Google Daydream is a library full of VR content. You are able to watch all kinds of videos and games in 360 degrees. Google Daydream has its own VR glasses, and that is the only headset that actually supports Daydream and allows you to see content in virtual reality. If you, perhaps, have other VR glasses and you are trying to use Google Daydream, you will not be able to, it will not work. Back in 2016 when Daydream was launched they announced collaborations with many other partners, for example, LG and Huawei. So, we hope that we will be able to soon get VR glasses from other companies and manufacturers that will support Google Daydream.
Steps to watching Plex in virtual reality using Google Daydream
If you have the Google Daydream View VR headsets, follow these steps to start watching content on Plex in VR. But before we start, we hope that you also have a Plex Account and one of the Daydream-compatible phones (since not all Androids support Google Daydream), headphones are not necessary, but if you want a better experience, make sure to use them.
- The first thing that you will need to do is to download the Plex app for Daydream. So, go to your phone’s Google Play Store and search for Plex VR. Download the app and wait until it has been installed on your phone.
- When the app is installed, open it and head over to the login page and log into your already existing Plex account. Have in mind that before you do this you must place your phone into the VR glasses (Daydream View headset). Navigate everything with your Daydream remote controller in your hand.
- When the login process has been done, you will be sent a confirmation code that you will need to enter in the Plex VR app. After that, the two devices should be pared automatically.
- Now, you are going to be able to see Plex’s Home screen. Find the drop-down menu somewhere on that screen and open it in order to see which content you are able to stream and see in VR.
- Navigate everything using your Daydream View remote in your hands and select the content which you want to see.
You can even watch Plex in VR with your friends. Of course, your friends need to have Google Daydream View VR set in order to join you while you are streaming, but this feature is really amazing! When you have the Plex app opened on your device, you should be able to see your friends on the left side of the screen. If you start streaming something, you will always get a pop-up window at the beginning of it asking you whether or not you want to share that content with some of your friends. If you want to, you will be able to choose from your friends’ list and share content with your friends. But have In mind that you and your friends are able to speak during streaming.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.