Apple TV Plus is a streaming platform by Apple that allows users to view Apple’s original content when they create an account. Each month, there are new Apple Originals that are added to the list available for watching. While the shows on Apple TV Plus may not be as gory as Game of Thrones or Outlaw King, there are still some that may be less age-appropriate. As parents, we would not want to expose our children to that kind of content. Thus, we will run through the steps needed to set up and use parental controls on Apple TV Plus.
Setting up parental control
As parental control does not register across different platforms, it has to be set up on all the devices which will be used to access Apple TV Plus.
Restricting access on Apple TV
- From your Apple TV home screen, select the Settings app.
- From within Settings, click on General.
- Scroll and search for Restrictions.
- Once you are directed to the Restrictions page, you will need to select Restrictions again under the Parental Control category.
- You will need to create a 4-digit passcode. On the next page, you will need to confirm your 4-digit passcode. Click Ok. Restrictions are now enabled. If you have already created a passcode, you will have to enter your existing passcode before you may change the restrictions.
- To control the rating of the content viewed on the device, click on Movie. It is found further down on the list of restrictions.
- From the list of ratings that appears, select the highest rating that will be allowed to be viewed.
- Repeat this step for TV Shows.
Restricting access from settings app (iPhone and iPad)
- From the home screen of your iPhone or iPad, launch Settings.
- Scroll down within Settings and select Screen Time.
- Below the average screen time listed, there is a list of settings. Select Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Enable Content and Privacy Restrictions by toggling the button beside it.
- From the list below, choose Content Restrictions.
- Similar to changing the ratings for Apple TV content, tap on Movies and TV shows. Then, select the highest rating that users will be allowed to stream content.
Restricting access on Apple TV app (Mac devices)
- Launch the Apple TV app on your Mac device.
- Navigate over to the Settings.
- Tap on the Restrictions option.
- Enable the restrictions. You will be required to create and verify a 4-digit passcode. The restriction settings will be enabled.
- You will be able to configure the content rating from Movies and TV Shows.
- To access restricted content, you will need to enter the passcode each time.
Restricting access on the Web version
- On apple.com, sign in to your account with your Apple ID and Password. You will need to click on the Sign In button that appears on the top right of your screen.
- On the upper right side of your screen, hover over your Account icon.
- Then, click on Account Settings from the menu that will appear.
- Under the Content Restriction header, you will need to toggle the switch to enable Content Restrictions.
- Create and verify a passcode.
- You will be required to provide your email address. Key in your email address and click on the Continue button.
- When a window with a green tick pops-up, click on Done.
- To change the content ratings for movies and TV Shows, click on each option and select the highest rating the viewers will be able to access without needing to key in the passcode.