Apple usually releases a major update of macOS every year. They recommend to keep your Mac up to date. Why upgrading it is so important? The new update always comes with some improvements (especially in terms of security), and bug fixes. Sometimes, it also comes with the new interesting features. Here, we are going to show you how to update the software on a Mac.
How To Update The Software On A Mac
1. Check Your Mac Compatibility
Checking the compatibility of your Mac is one of the most important things to do before starting the updating process. If you updating Mac to incompatible macOS, you might experience some issues. For example, Mac doesn’t finish the starting up process, the apps unexpectedly quit, etc.
Make sure that your Mac model is one of these:
- MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
- Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
- iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
2. Back Up Data
Don’t start the upgrading process without backing up your data first. This is the most essential part of “how to update the Software on a Mac” guide. You can back up the data using Time Machine hard drive, third-party hard drive, or external drive.
3. Check Storage
Make sure you have at least 14.3GB of available storage and 2GB of memory on your Mac. If you are going to update macOS to High Sierra on MacBook series, don’t forget to plug it into AC power.
4. Internet Connection
Some macOS update issues occur due to the Internet connection that is slow or unstable. To avoid these issues, make sure you have a dedicated Internet connection.
5. Download And Install macOS High Sierra
After you do all the steps listed above, you can perform the download and install process confidently and safely. These steps are the main part of “how to update Software on a Mac” process. You can download macOS High Sierra through App Store. This is the easiest way.
- Launch App Store from home screen or using Spotlight. If you are on your browser screen, click the Apple logo on the upper-left corner of the screen and select App Store.
- Click Update on the top toolbar of App Store window, wait for a few seconds and you will see Software Update.
- Click the Update button to download macOS High Sierra.
- Once the downloading process is done, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.
- You might need to enter the admin username and password.
Congratulations! The upgrading process is done. Now you can enjoy macOS High Sierra on your Mac.