Although they intend to keep you up to date with whatever is happening, emails from Instagram may sometimes irritate you. Have you ever been looking forward to an important email? Then, when your phone buzzes and you rush to check the notification thinking that is the important email – you find out that it is only an insignificant and unimportant social media alert.
Compared to other social media platforms, Instagram is arguably the one that sends the least email notifications. People who feel pestered by Instagram emails are those who are immensely active and have a great following.
This article will guide different Instagram users (on iOS, Android, macOS, and Windows) how to unsubscribe from email alerts. You can either do it from the Instagram platform or your mailbox.
See also: How to reactivate Instagram account
From Instagram app (Android and iOS)
- Make sure you are logged in to your Instagram.
- When the home page appears, tap on the profile photo icon which is at the bottom-left corner. The ‘Settings’ tab will be displayed.
- Tap on ‘Notifications’ which is right below ‘Follow and invite friends’.
- When the ‘Notifications’ tab appears, choose ‘Email and SMS’ which is the only option under ‘Other Notification Types’. The ‘Email and SMS notifications’ tab appears. You can now choose to turn the sliders off. These are the options displayed:
- Feedback Emails (this read as Research Emails on iOS)
- Reminder Emails
- Product Emails
- News Emails
- If you turn all the sliders off, you will have stopped Instagram from sending you alerts to the email that you registered your account with.
From Instagram.com (macOS and Windows)
- Click instagram.com and login to your account using your details.
- When the home page appears, tap on the profile photo icon which is on the top-right corner. Your profile’s tab will be displayed.
- Next to the ‘Edit Profile’ button, click on the ring-like ‘Settings’ button. A pop-up menu will appear with a couple of options.
- Click on ‘Notifications’. Automatically, the page will be on the ‘Email and SMS’ tab. The options displayed are similar to the ones in step 4 of the previous section (Android and iOS).
The boxes are automatically checked since you are automatically subscribed to all kinds of alerts when you open an Instagram account.
- You can then uncheck the first four boxes since they are related to email alerts. Changes are automatically saved.
From your mailbox
- Tap on the mailbox app you use to read your emails if you are on phone. If you are on the web, click the link for the mailbox.
- At the footer of the email, you will see this kind of message:
This message was sent to <your email> and intended for <your username>. Instagram sends updates like this to help you keep up with the latest on Instagram. You can unsubscribe from these updates, or remove your email if this isn’t your Instagram account. Unsubscribe or remove your email from this account.
Click on ‘Unsubscribe’.
- On clicking or tapping, you will be directed to your default browser where Instagram will inform you this: ‘You’ve unsubscribed from Instagram’s reminder emails’.
- A ‘Manage Email Preference’ button will also be present next to a ‘Resubscribe’ button. If you click on it, you will be directed to step 4 (see Android and iOS section).
- You will be able to see the kind of email alert that you have unsubscribed from.
With this information, you can now avoid a lot of unnecessary Instagram alerts on your mailbox.