For the lack of a better word, streaming is an Internet thing that enables users to broadcast video and audio information and have it received in real-time. Developed by Twitch Interactive, Twitch is an entertainment platform that mostly brings gamers together. One of its greatest things is the streaming capabilities it gives to users. Whether you want to stream your game, your workplace or yourself on camera, this article is going to show you how.
If you want to stream on Twitch, you need to have the following:
- A twitch account (obviously)
- A good microphone and camera
- A laptop, desktop, or mobile phone
- Any streaming software, but for this case, one that is commonly known as OBS (Open Broadcaster Software®) Studio. You can download it from this website. Once the download is complete, install the software. At the time of this writing, OBS is at version 25.0.8.
Make sure that you’ve checked 1 to 4 above. If so, follow through.
See also: How to add music to Twitch stream
Setting up OBS Studio
- Launch OBS Studio once it is installed. It should open up to its home window which is called a scene. A scene is a single stream experience. The scene area will be dark.
- Now, you should link OBS to your Twitch account since this will prove very important as you go forward. Do it this way:
- On the bottom right side of OBS’s screen, click on the ‘Settings’ button.
- On the screen that opens, click on the ‘Stream’ tab.
- On the right side, make sure that the service is ‘Twitch’. Then, click ‘Connect Account (recommended)’.
- On the box that shows, enter your login details and follow through the steps to give authorization to OBS.
Setting the scene’s screen
It will be assumed that you have a game installed on your PC that you want to stream. The final scene (or screen) should show a little motion image of you as captured by your PC’s camera at a corner. The game will be showing on the rest of the screen.
To add your image:
- On the bottom middle section in the ‘Sources’ little box, click on the‘+’ button. On the menu that displays, click ‘Video Capture Device’.
- In the box that pops up, choose your desired camera (if you have several) on the ‘Device Option’. You will start to see your image showing.
- Click the ‘Okay’ button. Back on the scene screen, you will see your image in a box. Preferably, resize it and move it to a corner. This should be easy.
To add the game’s screen:
- Step out of OBS and launch the game. Once it is opened, go back to OBS.
- Click on the ‘+’ button in the ‘Source’ box (step 3). On the menu that displays, click ‘Game Capture’. After setting a name for the source, click ‘OK’.
- Under ‘Mode’, select the ‘Capture Specific Window’ option.
- When the ‘Window’ option appears right below, choose the specific window for the game that you opened in step 6. Then, click on ‘OK’.
The game window should display on the larger part of the screen. By now, your little image must have been covered by the game window. That is nothing to worry about though. Just right click on it, go to ‘Order’ and then ‘Move to Top’.
On the bottom right part of the screen and under ‘Controls’, click on the ‘Start Streaming’ button. Before you do this, make sure that everything is set since the stream will begin automatically.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.