A computer (and the internet) can help kids learning a lot of things, but it can also be a bad influence on the child’s personality, mind, etc. If you own a Mac, there is a solution as there are restrictions and a way to control kids’ activities on it. All you have to do is to set up a new Mac for kids. Here, I will share the guide on how to do it.
How To Set Up New Mac For Kids
Create A New Account With Parental Controls
Giving a Mac to your kids with their own account is better than allow them using your account. It is easier for you to check their activity histories on Mac because it’s not mixed with yours. To create a new account for your kid,
- Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Parental Controls.
- Click the lock icon on the bottom left of the pane and enter the administrator name and its password, then click Unlock.
- Click the “+” button on the lower left sidebar.
- Enter all the information on a popup window, then click Create User.
Limit Access To Certain Apps
Your kids’ username will appear on the left sidebar on the Parental Control pane. While you are here, click the Apps on the upper menu bar and manage the restrictions. For the kids under 9, I suggest you uncheck all the boxes because they won’t need those and you will also prevent them from joining the multiple games.
Limit Access To Websites
Selecting Web on the upper menu bar of Parental Control pane, you will be able to manage browser restrictions for your kids. If you set up new Mac for your kids under 6,
- Select “Allow access to only these websites” and you will see the default starter websites from Apple.
- You can sort or add the other websites by clicking the “+” or “-” sign.
To set up a new Mac for kids that are over 11 years old is different from kids under 6.
If you want to reduce the restrictions and give them a little freedom in exploring more websites as they are older,
- You can tick “Try to limit access to adult websites” instead.
- Then, click the Customize button next to it to manage which websites are allowed to be accessed by them, and which are not.
Set Time Limits
You can set how many hours the kids can use the computer in weekday, weekend and prevent them to access MacBook during their bedtime. Once you set the Time Limits, they will not be able to use the computer out of the time you set. On the Parental Controls, click Time and set it as you want.
Download Starter Apps For Kids
As you are limiting their access to the iTunes Store, Apple Books, and certain websites, they will not be able to download any app and games. So, you can set up a new Mac for kids with starter apps for them, such as children books, educative games, apps, etc. There are many educational apps, books, and games you can find on iTunes Store and Apple Books.