Telegram is, as you already probably know, an online messaging platform. It is an app like Viber and WhatsApp, where you are able to communicate with your friends and family online. In order to use Telegram on your phone, you must have an internet connection all the time (your Wi-Fi or your mobile phone data). Telegram is basically an app that it’s meant for chatting, video calling, for sending photos, videos, files, emojis, and also stickers. The app was launched back in 2013, and since then its popularity blew up. Now, Telegram counts 200 million users a month! This app has a very cool feature. They have a secret, encrypted chats for their users! And users really love that feature because they feel like they can have a private discussion with a person (which they can), and that makes them safe and secure.
To be able to chat with a significant person, they must have a Telegram account. But, if maybe someone has been bothering you on Telegram, and you do not want to chat with that person, you can easily block it. Once you block them, they will not be able to contact you in any way on Telegram, or even see your profile. Here are the steps on how you can do that:
Steps to reporting someone on Telegram (if you are using an Android)
- Well, first of all, open the Telegram app on your phone and log into your account.
- When the Home page opens, open the chat with a user that you want to repost.
- You will now have to open the user’s profile by clicking on their profile picture, or on their avatar icon on the top of your phone’s screen.
- Once the user’s profile has opened on your screen, you will have to find their username, tap on it, and hold for a bit until a new pop-up menu shows up.
- The only option in that menu is the Copy option, so click on it.
- Now, we hope that you are logged into your Gmail account because you will have to open your Gmail on your phone, or your Outlook mail.
- Click on the Compose a new email button.
- Make the email to [email protected]. In the message section, type in why do you want to report that user. Make the message as long as possible with many details. Even consider taking a screenshot of your chat with that person and adding it in the email as an attachment.
- Once you have written the message, hold your finger on your phone, and click on the Paste option. This is going to paste the previously copied username of the abusive user.
- When you are done writing that email, click on the Send button in the top right corner of your screen.
You have now reported a user. The only thing you can do is wait. If the user has crossed the Telegram’s guidelines, their staff is going to take the matter into their own hand and do the necessary action.
Some tips to staying safe on Telegram
- Add a fingerprint lock, or the pass lock to your Telegram app so that no one else could access it, and read your messages on your phone.
- Have end-to-end encryption chat with a person if you want to stay safe and have a private chat that no one else could read except you.
- When sending media files to someone, use the self-destruction option. In other words, that option will delete the media files that you just sent to a user after they have viewed it.