Whether it’s on the streets on the cyberspace, human beings frequently brush shoulders. You are likely to offend or be offended by someone since most of our interactions start from a point of unfamiliarity.
On Reddit, some users can get on your nerves so much to the point that you need to call for action against them. This article is going to help you to know how to report a user on Reddit.
See also: How to save Reddit posts
The reasons why
For the why question, the answers could be as follows:
- The user is sending you many private messages or directs. This could be coupled with inappropriateness in terms of naughty or graphic content.
- The user keeps leaving negative comments on your posts.
- The user keeps following you around Reddit and hassles you.
- The user doxed you on a subreddit, that is, he revealed your true identity even when you wanted to keep it a secret.
Make sure that the user has done something as big as to warrant reporting. The article will use the first two reasons and show you how to do it.
Reporting a user on the app
On the app, use these steps to report that user who won’t stop bothering you. You realize that you cannot report a user for who they are but for what they have done.
If the user sends you inappropriate directs or private messages:
- Tap on the call-out icon. This will immediately open you up to the ‘Directs’ tab and you will see the user’s name and message preview.
- Tap on their username to open the chatbox.
- Scroll to the inappropriate message they sent and tap their username. A box will pop up with three options: View profile, Block user, and Report.
- Tap on Report. A follow-up screen will ask you to check a button of the reason you are reporting that message. The message could be spam, misinformation, or abusive and harming. It could be other issues such as copyright infringement, sexuality, or suicidal consideration.
If the user made a comment you didn’t like on your post or any other post:
- Scroll and navigate to that post.
- On the post, tap on the three dots at the top-right corner.
- On the menu that appears, tap on ‘Report’.
- After choosing your reason for reporting, tap on ‘Submit’ to complete.
Now, reporting a user on the web
If the user has been sending you inappropriate directs:
- Visit Reddit’s website and log in to your account.
- On the Reddit’s menu bar, click on the ‘Chats’ callout icon. The ‘Directs’ box will show on the bottom right. The usernames of the people you’ve chatted with appear there.
- Open the chat of the user and scroll to the message of interest.
- When you hover over the message, a flag will show. Click on the flag.
- Select the reason and click ‘Submit’.
For ‘bad’ comments, the steps are quite the same with steps 5 – 8 under the app section above.
This should impress you
It is possible to report a user on Reddit web as in the following steps:
- Search their name on the search box or navigate to any of their posts.
- Then, click on the username (u/…). This will show their profile’s overview.
- On the right side on the page and under the ‘Chat’ button, click on ‘More Options’.
- Then, click on ‘Report User’. This method is best if the user is impersonating someone else.