DFU stands for Device Firmware Update, and it allows you to jailbreak or un-jailbreak your device, or fix your iPhone or iPad when nothing seems to be working. If you have an iOS device with Face ID and you want to enter DFU mode but you are not sure how to do it, keep reading. We are going to share a guide on how to put an iPhone or iPad with Face ID into DFU mode.
When in DFU mode, your device will be able to communicate with the iTunes software, and the screen of the device will be black. The system or boot loader on the device won’t be loaded. You can restore from a backup, set your device as new, etc.
How to put an iOS device with Face ID into DFU mode
If you own an iPhone with Face ID (iPhone X, XR, XS, XS Max, iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max) or an iPad with Face ID (iPad Pro 11 inch 2018 & 2020, and iPad Pro 12.9 inch 2018 & 2020) and want to put it into DFU mode, follow the steps below:
- Plug your iOS device into your computer
- iTunes or Finder should be running
- Turn off your iPhone or iPad
- Once the device is turned off, press the side button for 3 seconds
- While holding the button, press and hold the Volume down button
- Keep holding both buttons and if the Apple logo shows up it means you held them too long and need to do it all over again
- Release the side button but still hold the Volume down for 5 more seconds
- If you see a message “Plug into iTunes” you will have to do it all over again as it means you held the buttons for too long
- You entered DFU mode if the screen on your device remains black.
As you can see, entering DFU mode is not too complicated, it may require a bit of patience if you do not do it the first time as the timing could be a bit delicate. However, once in DFU mode, you can fix your device, restore it from a backup, or set it as a new device.