Zoom is a Windows, Android, and IOS app for video conferences. You can have group meetings on Zoom with 500 participants! That is if you buy the “large-meeting” add on. If you are using regular, free Zoom, it’s a bit less than 500 participants, but it’s still amazing! It’s basically an app that’s great for online teaching, meetings, business calls and etc.
Zoom app is not really hard to handle, you don’t need any knowledge in technology to use Zoom and enjoy it!
We will be showing you how to mute and unmute yourself or someone in this app.
See also: How to record a Zoom meeting
If you are using Zoom on your computer:
Once you’ve started the meeting, you’ll be able to see all of its participants. And their names will pop up on the screen in little squares.
- When you are in a meeting, move your cursor to the bottom left corner, that’s where the microphone icon should be.
- Click on the microphone icon and you are muted! Remember, this only mutes you, you will still be able to hear others.
- When you need to speak, and you want to unmute yourself, just click on that icon again. That’s it!
If you want to mute other participants of the meeting, you must be the host or the cohost of the meeting.
- Move your cursor over to one of the participants that you want to mute.
- Click on the three dots that will appear in the little right corner of the participant that you wish to mute.
- Click on the blue “Mute” option, and that’s it!
But if you want to mute all participants, follow these steps below.
- Move the cursor to the bottom toolbar.
- Go to the “Manage Participants” option and click on it.
- The right toolbar should pop up to your screen. You will see the list of all the participants in the meeting. The bottom right corner of the toolbar will have three options. “Mute all”, “Unmute all” or “More”. Click on “Mute all” and you’re done.
- If you wish to unmute them, click on “Unmute all”, simple.
If you are using Zoom on your Android or iPhone:
- Tap anywhere on the screen of your phone while you are attending a meeting so that the menu toolbar will show up.
- Once the toolbar shows up, you’ll see many options. Go to the one in the left corner, option “Mute” with a little microphone in the icon.
- You will only mute yourself. And if you wish to unmute yourself, click on that icon again.
Remember that you can only mute others if you are the host of that meeting!
- Tap anywhere on the screen, and once the toolbar on the bottom shows up, click on the “Participants” option.
- A new pop up window will show on your phone with the list of all the participants of the call. If you wish to only mute one person, find their name and click on the microphone icon. But if you want to mute everyone in the call, look for the four options on the bottom of the screen.
- Click on “Mute all”, and that’s the whole science of it!
- If you want to unmute the people in the call, simply do these steps again but in reverse. Once you are in the new pop up window click “Unmute all”.
It wasn’t so hard, don’t you think?
If this guide didn’t help you with your problem, or you had other issues while trying to do these steps, consider uninstalling your Zoom app and then installing it again. And if that doesn’t work either, don’t hesitate to contact Zoom’s staff for more help and information.