If you’ve got your server on Discord and want to manage it with the help of a bot, then you can do so easily. With so many functionalities, Discord lets you create a bot of your own that gives you the power to do many things.
Your bot is an application programmed to perform certain tasks on servers. For example, your bot can greet people, play music, and even perform various things when you’re away. Learn how to get Discord bot tokens!
See also: How to change Discord password
Create a Discord bot token quickly (Step-by-step)
When you create a bot on Discord, you get a token, shown as an extended character string of letters and numbers. Bear in mind that your token has access to bot permissions. This means that you should never share it with anyone.
Follow these steps:
- Open this link in your browser. Make sure you’re already logged in before creating a bot
- Once you access the Discord Developer Portal, you will be able to see all the bots that you have created before
- If you’re new to creating a bot, click the “New Application” blue button (located at the top-right corner of your screen), and a prompt will appear.
- Give your application a nice new name. It could be anything.
- Hit the “create” button once you’re done.
- You can also give your bot a new Icon as well as a nice description in the General Information tab
- Don’t forget to hit the “Save changes” button to update it.
Finding a token
Now that we have created a bot let’s find our token.
- On your left-hand side panel, click “Bot” (it’s a little white piece of the puzzle) to continue.
- Click “Add Bot” and a pop-up will appear instructing you to choose wisely, you can click “Yes, do it” to confirm.
- You’ll now be able to see a green heading with the message “A wild bot has appeared!”
- To get a Discord Token, click on the blue link that says “Click to Reveal Token” (It’s under the Build-a-bot tab, beneath your bot username) and then you will see a chain of mixed-up letters and numbers.
- That's your token.
And that’s all! You’ve successfully created your bot as well as generated a token.
Add your bot to the server on Discord with easy steps
After creating your bot, you may want to invite it to any of your servers on Discord. Let’s go through some easy steps to learn how to do that.
- Open the Discord web app on your browser and make sure that you’re logged in
- Go to Discord Developer Portal and Click on any of your bots that you wish to add to your server from the “My Applications” tab
- In the settings tab, on the left side of your screen, click the “OAuth2” tab to open the settings
- In the Scopes tab, select the “Bot” checkbox. You’ll see a URL that will appear down there. This link helps you add your bot to your server, but we will click on it after following the last few steps.
- Scroll to the bottom, and you will see the “Bot Permissions” tab. You can now choose to select the actions that you want your bot to perform
- Just select the permissions that you want your bot to perform. Be careful when selecting administrator permissions, as it could threaten your account if your token gets stolen.
- Now click on the URL above that was generated in step 4. Hit the “copy” button. Now paste it into the address bar of your browser.
- Select the server to which you want to add your bot, and hit the “Continue” button.
- Confirm your permissions and hit the “Authorize” button. Tap the “I’m not a robot” checkbox, and you’re done!
Finally, you’ve successfully added your bot to your server. You will now be able to see the bot in the server chat!