On their official blog, YouTube announced to their over 1 billion users that they would be introducing Super Chat. This was a step to help YouTube channel holders to make money in a better way (as they say).
If you don’t know, Super Chat is a replacement of Fan Funding, a way that viewers used to donate to the creators.
In 2017, it joined advertisements (ads), channel memberships, the merchandise shelf, and YouTube Premium Revenue as one of the ways of making money on YouTube. This article is going to guide you on how to enable Super Chat on YouTube.
How does SuperChat work?
SuperChat connects content creators (owners of channels and video ‘uploaders’) with the fans. It works during live streams where those who are enjoying a live stream purchase a highlighted message. This message is given extra space and becomes so conspicuous so much that it is seen by everyone who is part of that live stream. The messages can remain highlighted for up to 5 hours.
As of 2019, SuperChat (and Super Stickers) had been made available in at least 60 countries all over the world. YouTube continues to grow this number to help creators join in on revenue making. The SuperChat enables your viewers (live stream ones) to donate to your channel.
To use SuperChat, you need to have met the following criteria:
- You must be in a SuperChat-supported country.
- You must be having at least 1000 subscribers.
- You must have enabled monetization (For this option to be activated, your channel should have been viewed publicly for at least 4000 watch hours in the last 12 months. Also, you should have at least 1000 subscribers).
Here are the steps to enable SuperChat for your channel. These are meant for desktop’s or laptop’s (Window, Mac or Linux) since it cannot be done through the app.
- Open YouTube’s website and make sure that your Google account is activated by logging in. YouTube should open and show its latest video updates.
- Click on your profile’s icon at the top-right corner.
- On the menu that displays, choose ‘YouTube Studio’. If this is not there, click on ‘Creator Studio’. You should now be open to the dashboard of your channel or the creator’s studio screen.
- If you have met the threshold for using a SuperChat, click on the ‘Channel’ button that is on the left side of the screen just below ‘Community’.
- Under ‘Channel’, click ‘Status and Features’. On the right side of the screen, a list of features will appear.
- Find the ‘SuperChat’ feature. If you are eligible, you will see an ‘Eligible’ label on the bottom-left side.
- Click on the ‘Enable’ button which is on the bottom-left side. The ‘SuperChat’ signup screen will be displayed on the right with the ‘Commerce Product Addendum’ showing (this is more like the ‘Terms of Agreement’ page).
- Now, enter your ‘Full Name’, ‘Title’, ‘Email Address’, ‘Phone Number’, and ‘Company Name’.
- Check the box that confirms that you have read the ‘Terms of Agreement’.
- Once you click on ‘I Accept’, a message will float at the top of the screen saying that you have successfully enabled SuperChat on that channel.
Now, whenever you go on a live stream, viewers will see on their screen that they can ‘Buy & Send’. They just need to enter their message then add a payment method. When this is done and they are billed, their message will be highlighted on the chats. The higher the amount of the SuperChat, the higher its message appears.