Samsung’s virtual assistant, unfortunately, didn’t get a warm welcome by most of the people. Though the features and intention of the creation are right, it becomes annoying because of the unintended openings. With the Samsung Galaxy S9, Note 9 and Galaxy S10, the scream of the people to disable it is louder. The Bixby button has been placed in a very inconvenient spot. While the hardware is not going anywhere, we can take advantage of the software by disabling it. So, how to disable Bixby?
See also: Bixby tips and tricks
Samsung’s virtual assistant has some really interesting features, including:
- Bixby’s voice – speak to Bixby and ask it to do something
- Bixby text – tell Bixby to do something using text
- Bixby vision – it can tell you all information about the thing it sees in the camera view
- Bixby home – it collects all your important information and tasks
- Bixby routines – collects your routines
How to disable Bixby’s voice?
Bixby’s voice is the most useful tool of Bixby among others this virtual assistant has. It lets you control the device easily by voice command. Voice command can also be done when the screen is locked. Even then, this is not everyone’s cup of tea. So you can disable it by following the below simple steps. Here is what you need to do:
- Open Bixby home
- Click on the three-dot menu button at the top right of your screen
- Tap settings
- Scroll down till you spot the Bixby voice option
- Toggle the option to turn off Bixby’s voice
- You can re-enable it if you want by doing the same steps and reversing step 5
How to disable Bixby home?
Samsung says Bixby home will be intelligent to study from your routine and update itself to reflect your daily phone use. You can also set quick commands with this feature. Not many are fans of these features and hence the instructions to disable it are provided below.
- Long press on any unfilled area in your home screen on your device and access your home screen settings
- You can also swipe with your fingers towards another, empty screen
- You can find the Bixby Home as you swipe over to the left-most home screen
- Toggle the option in front of you to disable Bixby home
How to disable the Bixby button?
- As said before, open the Bixby Home by swiping to the left-most home screen
- Tap the gear-shaped symbol ‘settings’ at the top right of your screen
- Toggle the option to be free from opening Bixby home when the button is pressed (often accidentally)
- There you go!
Now, no matter how many times you click the button unintentionally, it will not annoy because it won’t open.
As you know, Bixby button has two features. A short press of the button will launch Bixby Home, and the long press will launch Bixby Voice. The instruction to disable both have been provided to you above.
You can always enable Bixby by doing the same steps and reversing the last step.
How to remap the Bixby button?
You can disable it by remapping the Bixby button. Here is how to do that:
- Navigate to settings.
- Tap ‘Advanced feature
Click on the ‘Bixby key’.
- Press ‘Double press to open Bixby’.
- Tap ‘Use a single press’.
- Go to ‘Open app’.
- Choose your favourite app and enjoy.
Now you can use the button as a shortcut to any of your preferred apps.
(Remember the double press of the button will still open Bixby if you use this method.)