You may want to create a custom location on Instagram for various reasons. E.g. you have a business page on Instagram and want to add the location of your business in your Instagram posts and/or stories, you went to a place and want to add its location to one of your Instagram stories but that location is not there on Instagram, you just want to add a custom location that you can use on Instagram just for fun, etc. However, Instagram itself does not allow the creation of a new custom location but you can do it via Facebook.
See also: How to set up Instagram shopping
Check-in from Facebook
First, you will have to create a check-in status on Facebook for the custom location that you want to create. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the Facebook app.
- Tap on the ‘home’ icon to go to the home tab of the Facebook app.
- You need to scroll on this page to reach the top of this page.
- You should now be able to see an option named ‘check in’. Tap on this option.
- If your location services are not turned on for Facebook, you will be able to an option named ‘turn on location services’. You need to tap it.
- Accept turning on your device location and providing location access to Facebook if prompted.
- When the location services for Facebook are turned on, several suggested locations will be displayed in a list by Facebook for you to create a check-in status on Facebook.
- You want to create a custom location. So, type in the name of that location such that the first letter is in the capital. Make sure that this location name is unique.
- Scroll down the list if there is a list being displayed.
- You should find an option named ‘add a new place’. What you need to do is tap this option.
- This will take you to another list of categories to choose a category from. Here, you need to choose a category under which the custom location that you want to create falls.
- Once you have chosen the category, tap that category to choose it.
- Now, choose a city where this location is located.
- Next, choose the exact GPS location to pinpoint this location by either using the map or by tick-marking the ‘I’m currently here’ option if you are at that location.
- Tap on the ‘create’ option.
- Post this check-in status on Facebook. If you do not want anyone to see this status, you can choose the ‘only me’ option from the privacy setting of the post.
- You are done creating a custom location now.
Use it on Instagram
Once you have created a custom location using the steps shown above, you can use that location on Instagram. You can use it in an Instagram story or a post. When you are creating an Instagram story, you can add the location just before posting it. If you have already posted an Instagram post, you can add/edit its location too.
Points to note:
- If you cannot see the location on Instagram that you created via the above method, you can wait for a while until the location details are updated on the Instagram servers from the Facebook servers.
- It is better to be physically at the location where you want to create a custom location. If you are not able to use the custom location that you created, try being at the location and then creating the custom location.