How To Convert IBooks To PDF (Windows And Mac)
Writing an article that contains a lot of valuable information may seem simple. But when the article is written, the story doesn’t end. We are constantly updating the content so that you can always get up-to-date and accurate information.
Technobezz's Editorial Guidelines
Most Apple devices come with a pre-installed app called iBooks. This allows you to enjoy audiobooks and ebooks by signing into your Apple ID. However, all the books that you purchase or get on the app are DRM–protected. Without third-party apps or software, you cannot download or transfer them directly to a device. This can be tricky, but this article will show you how to convert iBooks to PDF in two ways: macOS and Windows.
Note: iBooks Author is no longer updated or available. If you've previously downloaded the app, you can still access it from your App Store purchase history. You can continue to use iBooks Author on macOS Catalina or earlier.
Converting iBooks to PDF for macOS
This method only works for macOS because it requires the installation of the iBooks Author app (iBooks Author is no longer updated or available), which is only available on the Mac App Store—for free. It's not even available on other Apple devices such as the iPad or iPhone. So make sure your Mac is updated to at least OS X 10.11 so you can download the iBooks Author app. Then, follow the steps below:
- The first step is to open your Macbook. Remember the information above and ensure it has OS X 10.11 or later. Go to the Apple App Store (blue icon with an A) and log into the store if you haven't already.
- In the search bar on the top right, type in "iBooks Author." Your first hit should be an app with an orange book and a blue pen. Click "GET" in the little box beside the app and wait for the app to download. Your Mac might ask for your Apple ID password to confirm the installation, so make sure you have access to that.
- Open the iBooks Author app. Now you need to open iBooks within the app. To do this, move your arrow to the top menu of your Mac, and go to File > Export.
- You will be presented with three formats you can export: Apple Books, PDF, and Text. Select the PDF format. In the drop-down menu below, select Good, Better, or Best for your Image quality. You can even add a password from one of the security options to protect your document.
- Click "Next…" and select someplace on your Mac to save the document. Click "Export."
Converting iBooks to PDF for Windows
The process for Windows is a bit different but not complicated. You will have to download a PDF converter to convert your iBook to PDF. There are many options, but we've found that Calibre and Epubor Ultimate are among the best. The following method will show you how to do this with Epubor Ultimate.
- First, download Epubor Ultimate on Windows through this link. Click the green "My Free Trial" button to start your download in the middle of the screen. Please wait for it to install completely.
- Next, download the Requiem for Windows here. This will eliminate DRM protection from Books.
- Open Epubor Ultimate and drag your iBooks into the app. If that doesn't work for you, you can click the "+ Add" button at the top and choose your iBooks from there instead.
- At the bottom of your screen, click the little downward arrow beside the "Convert to" button and choose PDF format from the options. Click the button.
- Please wait for the conversion to be fully completed. Once done, click the blue folder icon at the bottom right of the screen to view the downloaded file. Note that the links and any metadata found in the book will be restored in your new PDF copy.