Just like any other Apple device, Apple Watches are due to collect grime over time from lotions or perfumes or anything that they’re exposed to on your skin. But there is good news for you – they’re straightforward to clean and have minimal equipment. It is worth mentioning, though, that you should not use any heat source or strong disinfecting products on your watch or the band—not even soap and water. Apple suggests that these products can cause damage to the Watch and prevent it from functioning normally. So, here are some tips that can help you clean your Apple Watch without causing any damage.
Clean your Apple Watch
To start cleaning the Apple Watch, first, ensure that it is turned off from any electric sources. Then, follow these steps:
- If you have a Sport Band or metal band, you may keep it on. But if you have a leather or fabric band, it’s best if you remove it.
- Thoroughly wipe the Apple Watch with a clean cloth. Ensure the cloth isn’t of a texture that irritates or scratches your device. Dampen the cloth with water if needed. Apple suggests alternatively washing the Apple Watch directly under lukewarm running water. Make sure not to use any cleaning chemicals.
- Finally, dry the Apple Watch with a clean, dry cloth. Again, make sure that it is not irritable.
Cleaning the band
Remove the band before cleaning the Apple Watch. If you own a band from a third-party provider, follow the instructions listed for that band only.
- For leather and cloth bands, clean it with a smooth piece of cloth that is unlikely to irritate the surface. Dampen it if needed with warm water. Make sure not to use any cleaning products, and certainly do not soak the band in water diluted with cleaning agents.
- Air-dry the bands. Do not expose it to direct sunlight, heat, or humidity. These exposures may cause the leather/cloth to fade and lose quality over time.
Follow these steps to clean any buckles and clips attached to the band:
- Wipe the surface clean with a smooth cloth that is unlikely to irritate the surface. Dampen it with warm water if needed.
- Dry the surface properly with a smooth, non-irritable cloth before attaching the band to the Apple Watch.
Tips to avoid your Apple Watch from weathering and causing irritation
There are a few important things to remember to prevent your Apple Watch from getting dirty or causing any potential skin issues. It is important to keep it clean to maintain its quality and elongate its shelf life. The following present four simple tips to take care of your Apple Watch device:
- Make sure that when you buy an Apple Watch, it fits you nicely – it’s not too loose or tight. This will make for a more comfortable fit and prevent your skin from wrinkling and eventually breaking down.
- Avoid using any lotion or skin products in the area where you wear your Apple Watch. Store it in a clean box or a clean space where it is unlikely to be damaged.
- Maintain a habit of cleaning your Apple Watch regularly. Clean it immediately if exposed to a chemical or foreign product to not settle or let it dry on the watch.
- Avoid buying third-party products (such as wristbands and buckles), so they do not interfere with the Watch's performance. They may also contain materials or features that can harm your skin or damage the Apple Watch.
Join our newsletter 🎉Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss out on what's happening in the tech world. It's that simple.
- Latest Tech News
- Exclusive Tech Deals