Checking the storage on our electronic devices is essential to maintain the performance of the device. When your device is cluttered, some aspects of your device will function slower than usual because more things have to load on the device. The same goes for our Mac devices. Whether you are just curious about the remaining storage on our Mac or have received the notification that your startup disk is full, this article will list some of the ways you can use to check the reaming storage on your Mac.
See also: How to play Google Stadia on MacBook
Solution 1: Check using “About this Mac”
This is one of the most straightforward methods we can use to check the remaining storage on our Mac devices.
- From your Mac device, locate the Menu bar at the top of your screen.
- On the far left of the Menu bar, there is an Apple logo. Click on this logo.
- Then, select About this Mac.
- If you are running a Mac with an older version of OS X, you may need to select More Info. Otherwise, you may skip this step.
- Look for the Storage option and click on it.
- The storage of your device will be displayed in the form of a bar. The types of documents will be represented by different colors. This allows you to identify what is taking up the most storage in your device.
- Under your device’s name, you will be able to see the amount of storage still available.
Solution 2: Check using Disk Utility
Disk utility allows you to perform tasks that are related to your hard disk and storage devices. It can also be used to check the storage on your device.
- From your Dock, open the Application Folder. It should be located at the bottom of the screen on your Mac.
- Scroll through the applications and folders that you have in the folder until you find the Utility folder. Click on that folder to open it.
- From within that folder, select Disk Utility.
- A new window will appear. Within this window, there will be a bar that states how your storage is being used. Usually, a blue color will represent used storage while a grey or white color will represent the remaining storage on your device.
- To get a precise number on the amount of space left, look at the table below the bar. Under the cell: Available, it should tell you the amount of storage that you have left.
Solution 3: Using Finder to check your storage
Finder is the app on your Mac with a smiley face. It has a blue and white background. While finer is a great way to organize your files and media, it can also be used to check the storage in your Mac device. Finder also has a function that allows the user to preview the app without launching it.
- Launch Finder from the home screen of your Mac device.
- Under the column on the left in the Finder window, look for Devices. Select that option.
- Then, select the storage device.
- While still clicking down on your cursor, click on the spacebar from your keyboard. This is pull up a new window where the capacity of your Mac device can be seen.
- From that window, the available storage will be stated below the name of the Mac device.
- Once you have seen the available storage, you can press down on the spacebar again to close the preview window.
If you find that your device is starting to operate slower than usual, do check on the available storage in your device and see if that is what is affecting your device’s performance.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.