When you first get a new Windows laptop or PC, you will be asked to make a new account which will be the administrator account on your device. It will be the default account and it will be able to have access to all the files, give permissions and it can install or uninstall and delete programs on your PC. In other words, that account is the boss. If you wish to change your account to an administrator or add some new account with the same privilege it’s really not that hard to do. Just keep reading this step by step guide and you will do it in just a couple of minutes.
See also: How to play Xbox One games on Windows 10
Changing the admin on your PC
There are two ways that you can do this and we are going to explain both ways to you.
- Click on the Windows icon in the bottom left corner of your PC’s screen.
- Search for Control Panel and click on it. (Or use a shortcut on your keyboard by holding the Windows key and hitting the letter X at the same time)
- When the Control Panel window opens, search for the User Accounts section and enter it.
- Three options will show up on your screen. Select the top one, User Accounts, and click on it.
- You will now be able to make changes to the user account. You can either change your own account or others. In order to do that you are going to have to click on the Change your account type option, it will probably be in second place among all other options.
- Now you are in the tab where you are going to choose your account type.
Note: There are two types of accounts that you can choose from, the standard one and the administrator one. The administrator has the whole power over the PC and can basically control and manage everything. The apps, the programs, can change other user’s statuses and types of accounts and etc. While on the other hand, the standard account type will only have access to some of the software’s programs. It will not be able to manage the whole system and to make changes to it. And also, of course, it cannot change other users’ account types and their statuses.
Now you are going to have to choose the account in which you want to make an administrator and change it.
- Once you are done selecting, confirm the changes by clicking on the Change account type, and you are done.
The second way:
It is kind of the same with similar steps, there is only one small difference.
- Again, click on the Windows logo that is located at the bottom of your left angle of the screen.
- Search for Settings and open them.
- Find the Account settings and click on it.
- Go to the Family and Other user’s section and tap on it.
- If you do not see the option to change your account type, you are currently the administrator.
- To change other users’ types, simply click on that user’s name to select it and click on the Manage account. The new small drop-down menu will show up, and simply change their type either to Standard or to Administrator.
You can add more users, by clicking on the either Add a family member button or add other users button, depending on which person you wish to add.
And that is it!
I hope that you were able to change the administrator on your Windows 10 and that it wasn’t that hard or complex to do.