If you haven’t heard of TikTok yet, you are missing out. TikTok has become one of the most downloaded apps on both iOS and Android, ranking higher than Instagram. While it is usually advertised as a lip-syncing app, it is more often used to make short 15-second videos. Most of these videos are based on “internet memes” that match the lyrics of a song. While there are some influencers on TikTok, most of the content makers are everyday users. What makes the videos interesting is the music matched with the video content. Hence, this article will teach you how to add music to TikTok videos.
Solution 1: Using the music on TikTok
TikTok has been designed to allow users easy access to video editing tools. The tool we want to focus on in this solution is the Select Sound tool.
- On your mobile device, launch the TikTok app.
- To post a video, click on the plus button at the bottom of your screen.
- When you are directed to the video recording screen, you can choose to record a video using the app or upload a video from your phone’s gallery. To take a video, tap on the video camera icon to start recording. To choose a video from your gallery, click on the upload button on the bottom right. Select the video that you want to upload. Then, click on the red button with a tick.
- Click on the Sounds button on the bottom of the screen. It should be on the far left with a musical note as an icon.
- From there, you can search for music that you want to add from the search bar or scroll through the music options to find music that fits your video.
- Click on the music track to download the music. When a red box with a tick appears, click on it to add that song to your video.
- Click on Next. You will be directed to a page with settings regarding posting the video. You may add a description and change who can view the video. Click on Post, when you are ready to upload your TikTok video.
Solution 2: Using external software to add music
As TikTok no longer has the option to upload music from your device, we will need to use external software to add music that isn’t found on TikTok. We will be using Kapwing as the external software for this solution.
- From your device, go to kapwing.com
- When you have reached the page, click on Start Editing. This will bring you to the video editing studio. Do note that you are not required to create an account to use the studio.
- Upload the video when prompted. You may upload a video from your device, or copy the URL from another platform such as YouTube.
- When the video is uploaded to the studio, you will be able to see a range of tools. To add music, click on the Audio tool. It should be located at the top of your screen.
- You can add the music similarly through uploading from your device or copying a URL.
- Once the audio is added, you can edit the music with tools to trim the length of the music track, adjust the volume of the music or loop the music throughout the video.
- When you have finished editing the music track, click on Done.
- Click on Publish to process the video. Once the video has been processed, you may download it by clicking on the download button.
- Upload the downloaded video to TikTok.