There’s no doubt that Discord’s one of the most popular gaming apps out there. With its numerous servers and channels, it has cleared the way for users to interact with friends, family, work, and school. It has also given way to users that can participate in communities, organizations, and people who share the same niche as them. On servers—especially large ones—bots are added to answers questions or add new features to the server. With the simple steps below, you too can learn how to add bots on Discord.
What Are Bots, Exactly?
Bots are super common on Discord. You’re very likely to hear about them or even stumble upon them—especially if you’re part of a large server on Discord. Bots are incredibly helpful when it comes to large servers because they help maintain the huge number of users on it. Additionally, they will personalize the server according to your liking, answer questions, or add additional features—such as music—to make the experience better. Some well-known bots are Pokecord, Octave, and MEE6.
The best thing about them is that they’re completely free and super simple to add to servers. They’re very helpful when it comes to large groups because they can coordinate tasks that you’d be doing otherwise, such as welcoming new members, assigning them their tasks, and giving Twitch alerts. You can even create bots of your own! As of 2018, Discord had over six thousand bots.
How To Add Bots to a Server
Unless you’re the coordinator of the server (the person who created it) you cannot make any changes to the server. So if you want to do this, make sure that you’re the coordinator or that you have their permission to add bots into the server. To add bots on Discord, follow these steps:
- First of all, sign in to your Discord account on a web browser or via the mobile app.
- The next step is to make sure you can add changes to the server before you go ahead and add a bot. On the top left, you should see the name of your server. Right-click on this or click the little downturned arrow beside it and select “Server Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to “General Settings” and make sure the box for “Manage Server” is checked off. You need this in order to add any bots. Otherwise, you’ll face some issues.
- Next, navigate to the Discord Bots site and select a bot to add to the server. You can also search for one in the search field on the homepage.
- Click on the bot you wish to add. Under its name and description, click on the “Invite” button.
- A new window will open if you’re on a web browser. Under “Add Bot To:”, select the server where you want to add it. Note that unless you’re the coordinator of the server (the person who created it) you cannot make any changes to the server. When you’re done, click “Continue”.
- And that’s it! You may find your newly added bot among the list of members at the right. If you wish to give it a role, you can navigate to Server Settings by clicking on the server name.
How To Find Bots
The official Discord Bots site is not the only place you can find bots to add. It may only list some popular ones. Some other sites to check out are: