You want to watch a video, but your iPhone video playback is not working – what can you do to fix this? Before we move to the solutions, let’s point out a few things. Sometimes, iPhone won’t play videos from a specific app, for instance, YouTube. On the other hand, you may notice that your iPhone won’t play the videos from any app that allows that option, including Safari browser, Facebook, etc. What can cause the problem? Here are a few things: a faulty app, the fact your apps are not up to date, or a bug in the software. If you are facing the same problem, try the solutions listed below.
Ways to fix iPhone video playback is not working
Solution No.1: Perform a soft reset
Many problems can be solved with a soft reset. When something on your iPhone is not working as it should, a soft reset is a good place to start fixing the issue. This won’t delete any of your data. Here is what you need to do:
- Press and hold the sleep/wake button and the Home button simultaneously
- Hold the buttons until you see the Apple logo.
Solution No.2: Clear Safari history and website data
If you launched Safari and wanted to play a video, but video playback is not working, you should clear Safari history and website data. Go to Settings and choose Safari. Tap Clear History and Website Data and when a pop-up window shows up, confirm your action by tapping on Clear History and Data.
Solution No.3: Force quit an app
Let’s say that iPhone video playback is not working when you open YouTube or Facebook. Before you move to other solutions, you should force quit an app and launch it again.
- Tap on the Home button twice
- You will see a preview of the apps you have been using
- Swipe left or right to find the app (YouTube, Facebook, or any other app that won’t play the videos)
- Swipe up to close the app.
- Once the app is closed, go back to the Home screen and open the application again.
Solution No.4: Faulty app
The reason why the video playback is not working can be some faulty app you have installed recently. If the application is poorly coded, it will not work properly, but not just that. It may cause a wide range of issues on your iPhone. Make sure to delete possible faulty apps, by finding the app’s icon on the Home screen. Tap on the icon and hold until an X shows up. Click on it to delete the app.
Solution No.5: Update the app
You need to make sure the apps on your device are up to date. Every update always comes with some improvements, new features, and bug fixes. That’s why, if your iPhone video playback is not working on a certain app, we advise you to update it to the latest version.
- Launch the App Store
- Tap the Updates section in the bottom-right corner
- You can select Update All or find a certain app and tap the box next to the app name to update it.
You may also read: How To Fix iPhone Won’t Connect To iTunes Store
Solution No.6: Reinstall the app
Uninstalling the app from your iPhone, then reinstall it back is also helpful. This method works for the frozen app issue as well. You can delete the app by tap and hold on to the app until it jiggles and the “x” sign shows up. Tap the “x” sign and select ” Delete” on the pop-up screen to confirm. After that, press the home button once.
Solution No.7: Reset network settings
Many times, internet connection issues are responsible for the problem. If you are connected to a Wi-Fi network, switch to cellular data to see if this will make any difference, or connect to another Wi-Fi network. You can also restart your router. If that does not fix the problem, you can reset network settings to factory defaults. Just keep in mind you will have to enter the Wi-Fi password again. If your iPhone is paired with a Bluetooth device, you will have to pair them all over again. To reset network settings:
- Open Settings
- Tap General
- Next, tap Reset
- Tap Reset network settings
- Enter the passcode
- Tap Reset network settings to confirm your action
Solution No.8: Update the software
A bug in the software can be responsible for various issues, including this one. You can fix the problem by upgrading your iPhone to the latest version of iOS. To do that:
- Make sure your iPhone is charged or connect it to a power source
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network
- Navigate to Settings > General > Software Update
- Tap Download and Install or Install Now
Solution No.9: Reset all settings
This method will reset all the settings that you have adjusted according to your desires. It’s a safe method and it won’t delete any of your data. To reset all settings:
- Go to Settings
- Tap General
- Tap Reset
- Next, tap Reset all settings
- Enter the passcode
- Tap Reset all settings to confirm.
Solution No.10: Restore your iPhone to factory settings
This can solve the problem. Before you start, back up your files and make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer. Follow the steps below:
- Open iTunes software on your computer
- Use the cable that came with your device to connect your iPhone to your computer
- When your iPhone appears in iTunes, select it
- Click Restore iPhone in the Summary panel
- Click Restore to confirm your action
- iTunes software will now erase your device and it will install the latest version of iOS
- Once the iPhone is restored to factory defaults it will restart
- Follow the steps to set up your device as new
These problems/solutions are found and effective on iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone SE.
We have listed various solutions you can try, but if nothing works, contact Apple or visit one of their stores.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.