Is there any plan to acquire the best laptop for home use to cut down the boredness at home? Then you will be flooded with so many laptops on the market that can accompany you all the time. But laptops are manufactured for several purposes such as while some are specifically designed for the great graphics card for game playing others are wrapped with special features and high-end processors to provide the best performance. We normally use laptops at home for surfing the net, playing games, watching movies and sometimes for writing and reading. So, the laptop should fulfill all these needs. Here we are listing the top best laptops for home use to help you find the one for you.
See also: Best 11.6-inch laptop
A laptop for home use would probably be used by the family members for some simple activities like checking emails and occasionally for playing light games. If you are currently looking for a laptop for your home use, you will find a large range of models. A situation of plenty is also not a very comfortable one since you get confused in trying to arrive at the right decision. Here are tips that can guide you through making the best choice of laptop for home use.
- Size: Laptops come in different sizes. The display screen size is usually considered while talking about the size of the laptop. The outer dimensions of the machine will be different. You can settle for a 15-inch or 16-inch laptop for your home. If you are planning to have your children working in a group on the laptop, you can then choose a larger 17-inch laptop.
- Touchscreen: Touchscreen laptops are generally priced a little higher but give you the convenience of use. In particular, if you are used to your smartphone and tablet, the touchscreen is the better way to operate your laptop. The keyboard and mouse can be used as well, but for one-click functions, it makes it easier on the touchscreen.
- CPU: An Intel Core i7 or i5 chipset should be good for a laptop intended to be used at home. Just check the generation and make sure you get the latest or most recent one. Chipsets keep getting upgraded with each generation. You will able to check the generation of the chipset on the laptop you are going to buy. You may not insist on only the latest generation but it should not be too old either. The clock speed is the immediate measure of the processor’s efficiency and as you pick the better processor from the Intel range, this will sort itself out.
- Color: Since the laptop is for your home use and you and your children may have a preference for certain colors, check the range of colors available and order the one you like.
- Graphics: Unless you intend to play top-range video games having heavy graphics, this criterion is not very critical.
- Random Access Memory or RAM: RAM for any computer is critical. Don’t go for anything less than 8GB, preferably DDR4 RAM.
- Connectivity Options: Check the number of ports available for connecting external devices to your laptop. The more the merrier. You will need Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. You will want USB ports, both type C and 3.1. You will need an HDMI port too.
Best Laptops For Home Use
There are many laptops on the market available for regular home use. Those looking for a home laptop usually perform activities like surfing the net; playing a game; watching a movie; writing or reading, so they need a laptop offering these functionalities and features.
Decide on a budget and then pick a good manufacturer, such as Acer, Dell, Lenovo, HP, Asus and so on. Consider the screen size, the storage, the battery life, the graphics, the processor or chipset and its performance, the connectivity, the keyboard, the form or design, screen resolution and other specifications to decide which one suits you best.
High-End Features and Performance 2 in 1 Notebook for Home Use
Acer Chromebook Flip C302CA, 12.5 inches
The Acer Chromebook Flip is powered by the Intel Core M3-6Y30 clocking at a speed of 0.9 GHz, a Skylake 6th gen processor having 2 cores and 4 threads with 4 MB of cache. The speed can be boosted to a maximum of 2.2 GHz. The RAM is 4 GB LPDDR3, which is enough for tasks at home.
As for the graphics card, the Acer Chromebook Flip has an integrated card, which is powerful enough for streaming videos. The hard drive storage is 64 GB and it uses the Trusted Platform Module, which offers security for login credentials.
The Acer Chromebook Flip comes with a 12.5 inches screen having a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. It is a full HD display with an aspect ratio of 16:9 and a viewing angle of 178 degrees with 300 nit brightness. There are 2 USB C ports, with one USB 3.1, generation 1. These ports can be used for charging as well. However, there is no USB A port.
It has a webcam of 720 pixels and a good set of stereo speakers. The dimensions are 8.3 x 12 x 0.5 inches and the weight is 4.1 pounds. The battery life averages about 10 hours.
As for performance, Google offers support with updates for the Chrome OS every 6 weeks. It performs well on all the major benchmarks.
- Those who want a good user experience to accomplish mainstream tasks efficiently, at a reasonable price.
- Those who want a computer to use at home for browsing, streaming videos and so on.
- Those who want a functional, sturdy, versatile and good-looking laptop for productivity as well as tasks like watching movies or playing games.
Acer Chromebook Flip C302CA, 12.5 inches Pros & Cons
- Powerful integrated graphics card
- Striking metallic design
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Relatively small screen
- Unimpressive battery life
Luxurious Laptop for Home Use and Productivity
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, 14 inches
It comes in a slim and good looking chassis made of carbon fiber and magnesium, with a great keyboard and excellent HDR display. The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon is powered by a Core i7-7500U clocking at a speed of 2.7 GHz, which can be boosted to a maximum of 3.5 GHz, with 4 MB of cache. The laptop runs on the Windows 10 Pro 64 operating system. It has a RAM of 16 GB and hard drive size of 512 GB. There is an integrated graphics card-the Intel HD Graphics 620.
It is a slim and stylish looking 14 inches laptop with dimensions 19.7 x 13.5 x 4.8 inches and weighing 4.8 pounds. The display is a QHD technology with a screen resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixels with IPS anti-glare features. It has a match in the sensor fingerprint reader. In addition, there is an extra infrared camera for Windows Hello Facial recognizing feature. The battery life is around 15.5 hours.
- Those who want a good HDR display and a good battery life in an attractive and lightweight design.
- Those looking to buy a laptop offering productivity; portability as well as performance.
- Those who want a durable and light laptop for productivity purposes.
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, 14 inches Pros & Cons
- Powerful and fast-performing processor
- Web camera positioned well
- Vibrant display
- Does not run high-definition games
- The bezels are too thick
Signature Hinge Design Tablet Functionality for Home Use
Lenovo Yoga 920 2 in 1 Laptop, 13.9 inches
It is a laptop that also has tablet functionality in a 360 degrees hinged device. It is a premium laptop with a full HD display and 8 GB of RAM. The hard drive storage is 256 GB SSD and it is powered by 8th generation Core i5 chipset.
It is sturdy but also rather heavy at 3.02 pounds and is sleek at 0.5 inches. The dimensions of the Yoga 920 are 12.7 x 8.8 x 0.5 inches. There is a pen included in the package, which is a 3D plastic pen that can be clipped to the USB A port on the laptop. All inputs are accurate, including the touchscreen; the keyboard; the touchpad and the active stylus. It operates on Windows 10 OS.
The laptop is powered by the 8th gen Intel i7-8500U processor clocking at a speed of 1.8 GHz that can be turbo boosted up to 1.99 GHz. The IPS technology display screen has a resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels and viewing angles are good. You can flip the laptop into a tent mode for watching movies. The web camera is 720 pixels. The battery life is around 15.5 hours.
As for connectivity, it has 4 ports, one USB 3.0; 2 Thunderbolt 3 / USB C ports and an audio jack of 3.5 mm.
- Those who want a robust and premium laptop for home use, which can also be used as a tablet.
- Those who would like a stylus for doodling.
- Those who are looking for a home and business laptop offering good productivity, multitasking abilities and good battery life.
- Solid pick for students, creative people, for home use and for those want a functional 2 in 1.
Lenovo Yoga 920 2 in 1 Laptop, 13.9 inches Pros & Cons
- Visually striking design
- Sturdy and comfortable keyboards
- Good speakers
- The 4k model has a limited battery life
- Does not feature a microSD card slot
Affordable, Attractive and Strong Home Use Laptop
HP Spectre x360, 15.6 inches
It is one of the best performing premium laptops available using the Intel Kaby Lake G series and powered by the 8th gen core i7 processor i7-8550U clocking at a speed of 1.8 GHz, which can be boosted up to 4 GHz and has 8 MB cache with 4 cores. This is combined with the NVidia GeForce MX150, 2 GB GDDR5 dedicated graphics card. The RAM is 16 GB and the hard drive storage is 512 GB PCle NVME M.2 SSD. The screen is a gorgeous 4K one.
As for connectivity, it has 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports along with an HDMI port. There is also a USB 3.0 port, along with a headphone jack and SD memory card slot. The display of 15.6 inches comes with a screen resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels offering crisp images and makes use of 4K IPS technology with WLED backlit.
It comes with the HP stylus pen with enhanced precision and sensitivity. It also has a webcam of 2.0 MP and a battery life that lasts around 5.5 hours. The dimensions of the HP Spectre x360 are 9.9 x 14 x 0.7 inches and it weighs 4.41 pounds.
- Those who want a laptop for home use, offering powerful performance and crisp and vivid images.
- Recommended for those who want a laptop for watching movies, playing games and for productivity.
- Those who want an elegant looking laptop with a speedy processor.
HP Spectre x360, 15.6 inches Pros & Cons
- Six-core CPU delivers powerful and reliable performance
- Elegant design
- Well-built keyboard
- The touchpad is not very sensitive
- The speakers produce average audio output
Smart and Fast Powerhouse Laptop for Home Use and Power Users
Apple MacBook Pro with touch bar 13 inches
The MacBook Pro comes in a solid aluminum design with Touch ID button and rich speakers. The dimensions are 13 x 2.2 x 9.4 inches and weigh 4.9 pounds. The 13 inches Retina display screen has a resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels. It also has a True Tone feature for more comfortable viewing. The mini touchscreen or Touch Bar is useful for controlling some apps like Spotify. There is also a Siri button available for commands on the Touch Bar. It is supported by the Mac OS X.
The MacBook Pro is powered by the dual-core Intel Core i5 chipset and clocks at a speed of 3.1 GHz, which can be turbo boosted up to 3.5 GHz. It has a RAM of 16 GB 2133 MHz, LPDDR3 and a hard drive memory of 256 GB SSD. This is combined with the Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 8 GB. As for connectivity, there are 4 Thunderbolt ports. The battery life averages around 18 hours.
- Those looking for a home computer offering a blazing, super-fast performance and good battery life.
- Suitable for power users and for creative professionals as well as for home use.
Apple MacBook Pro with touch bar 13 inches Pros & Cons
- Solid build and attractive design
- Features Touch ID application
- Very good audio quality
- Does not have a memory card slot
- Shorter battery life
Stands Out Among Reasonably Priced Chromebooks for Home Use
Acer Chromebook 14 inches
It comes in an all-aluminum chassis, feeling and looking refined. It also makes the laptop light at 3.42 pounds, with dimensions of 13.4 x 9.3 x 0.7 inches. The 14 inches screen has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels with LED-backlit, using IPS display technology. Images are crisp with a brightness of 236 nits and 170 degrees viewing angle, along with an anti-glare coating that makes things much better. It is powered by the Intel Celeron N3160 quad-core SoC, clocking at a speed of 1.6 GHz. The RAM is 4 GB LPDDR3 and this is combined with integrated Intel HD graphics. The hard drive storage is 32 GB eMMC.
Battery life averages around 12 hours. As for connectivity, there are 2 USB 3.0 ports and one HDMI port. There is no SD card slot, however. It runs on the Chrome operating system by Google and offers automatic updates. All Google apps are available as a standard on the Chromebook. You can also access a wide range of apps, movies and games from the Google Play Store. There is built-in storage along with 100 GB of space in Google Drive for all your files.
- Those looking for an affordable home use laptop with a high-resolution display.
- Those who would like a premium look and feel on their laptops at an affordable price.
Acer Chromebook 14 inches Pros & Cons
- Strong and reliable build
- Available in two different colors
- Very good battery life
- Does not feature a Type-C port
- No Micro SD card slot
Durable Laptop Design Built to Be Bumped Around for Home Use
Asus Chromebook C202SA, 11.6 inches
The Chromebook C202SA is a tough cookie, with a wide rubber bumper running all the way around it. It is said that it can also withstand being dropped flatly from 3.9 feet high and a side drop of 31 inches, that’s how sturdy it is. In addition, it is also water-resistant and can stand a spill of a maximum of 2.23 ounces of water, as it has good protection with Mylar lining. It is lightweight at 2.2 pounds. The dimensions of the Asus Chromebook C202SA are 11.6 x 0.9 x 7.9 inches.
As for connectivity, there are 2 USB A ports of 3.0 SuperSpeed of 5 Gbps transfer rate. In addition, there is one HDMI port; one SD card slot; one audio jack; and the AC jack. The screen display of 11.6 inches comes with a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels with average viewing angles, and there is an anti-glare coating for better visibility.
It is powered by the Intel Celeron N3060 chipset clocking at a speed of 1.6 GHz and has a RAM of 4 GB LPDDR3, with Intel HD Graphics 400 integrated in it. This is combined with a hard drive capacity of 16 GB eMMC. The battery life lasts for an average of 10 hours. Though it is not equipped with a superfast performance or any amazing features, it has a solid built and offers a good user experience at a low cost.
- Those looking for a home use laptop at a budget price.
- For those who want a sturdy laptop that they can shove into their backpacks and something that can withstand wear and tear in your home environment.
- Sturdy and tough to suit student life.
- Suitable for streaming movies, mainstream web applications and general computer productivity tasks.
- Not suitable for graphics-intensive tasks or for gaming
Asus Chromebook C202SA, 11.6 inches Pros & Cons
- Durable and easily repairable
- Long-lasting battery
- Solid keyboard
- Slightly bulky
- Wide space between keys
Brilliant Laptop and Tablet for Home Use
Microsoft Surface Pro 2017, 12.3 inches
This is a premium laptop cum tablet running on Windows 10 Pro OS. It is powered by a Kaby Lake Intel Core i5 7th generation 7300U clocking at a speed of 3.5 GHz, combined with a RAM of 8 GB DDR4 and an internal storage of 256 GB SSD. The graphics card is Intel HD Graphics 620.
The hinge bends back well to a Studio mode of 165 degrees angle. The cover is the Alcantara type, which is very comfortable. It comes with a 12.3 inches screen, having the ClearType Full HD Plus PixelSense Touchscreen and has a resolution of 2736 x 1824 pixels. The dimensions of the Microsoft Surface Pro laptop are 11.5 x 0.3 x 7.9 inches and it weighs 1.7 pounds.
The Surface Pen offers excellent pressure sensitivity of 4096 levels, making it useful for creators, with its new tilt detection support. The battery life averages about 13.5 hours of video playback and the rear web camera come with a resolution of 8 MP. The Surface Pro, Signature Type Cover, as well as the Surface Pen, are sold separately.
- Routine browsing and other home use purposes.
- Also suitable for creative people who will find the Surface Pen very sensitive and useful for creating lines, designs and for illustrations.
Microsoft Surface Pro 2017, 12.3 inches Pros & Cons
- Very light
- Easy to carry
- Silent performance
- Good battery life
- Limited connectivity ports
- The surface pen is not included anymore
Big Screen Laptop in Industrial Design for Home Use
Dell XPS 15, 15.6 inches
This is the bigger version of the Dell XPS 13 and is well worth a purchase. You get everything that the XPS 13 has to offer, plus a lot more. The chassis is made of burnished aluminum with soft plastic on the seams and lined with carbon fiber.
The Dell XPS 15 comes with a 4K UltraHD touchscreen with a screen resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels and an Infinity Edge touch display, offering vivid colors. The 15 inches of real estate is enough for fitting in two Windows comfortably side by side. It is powered by the 7th generation Intel Core, i7-7700HQ chipset clocking to a maximum speed of 3.8 GHz. It has a RAM of 32 GB DDR4, 2400 MHz and SSD storage of 1 TB. It is combined with the NVidia GeForce GTX, 1050 4 GB DDR5 graphics card. The notebook is supported by the Windows 10 Home, 64 bit OS.
There are sufficient ports for connectivity. There are 2 USB ports; one USB C port; one SD card slot; one headphone jack of 3.5 mm; one HDMI port. It is sufficient for several accessories, like the mouse; keyboard and also an additional external monitor.
The dimensions of the Dell XPS 15 are 21.9 x 17.2 x 3.9 inches and it weighs 7.4 pounds.
- Those who are looking for a seamless blend of the superb display; excellent performance for everyday tasks in industrial design.
- Those who want to buy a robust laptop with no compromise on build quality, in a well-engineered and well-designed product.
- Also suitable for gaming purposes, having a solid GPU, so it’s a kind of hybrid laptop for productivity and gaming purposes.
Dell XPS 15, 15.6 inchesPros & Cons
- Very good display
- High-quality speakers
- Very good at multi-tasking
- No SD card reader
- Heats up when used for a long time
Beautiful Display for Snappy Everyday Home Use
Google Pixelbook 2 in 1, 12.3 inches
It has a rugged design with a mix of metal; glass and plastic in its design, which sets it apart from the rest of the 2 in 1 laptop available in the market. The 2 in 1 system is capable of folding back a full 360 degrees and can be used as a tablet for many tasks. It weighs just 2.4 pounds and is rather feather light and slim at just 10.3 mm. The laptop features a 4 in 1 design and can be used as a laptop; a tablet; a tent and also for entertainment modes. The dimensions are 11.4 x 8.7 x 0.4 inches.
As for connectivity, there are 2 USB C ports along with a headphone jack. It operates on the Chrome OS. The Pixelbook Pen, an active stylus, has to be purchased separately and it works with the Google Assistant for web searches and so on.
The Google Pixelbook comes with a 12.3 inches touchscreen having a resolution of 2400 x 1600 pixels, working out to 235 PPI, which is even better than the MacBook Retina display. The built-in microphones offer crisp sound and the notebook comes with a webcam of 720 pixels.
The Google Pixelbook is powered by the 7th generation Intel Core i5 chipset clocking at a speed of 3.3 GHz and has 8 GB of RAM along with 128 GB of hard drive storage. This is combined with an integrated HD615 graphics processor. The battery averages a life of 10 hours. You can also use the fast charging feature and get two hours of battery life by charging for 15 minutes. As for connectivity, there are 2 USB 3.0 ports.
- Die-hard Chrome fans looking for a snappy, cheap and education ready laptop for home use.
- Suitable for video conferences.
- Suitable for watching videos; editing documents; taking notes and for general browsing purposes.
- Also suitable for most mobile games not relying on intensive 3D graphics, as they run without lag.
- Those who want an entry-level and affordable laptop that can also double as a tablet.
Google Pixelbook 2 in 1, 12.3 inches Pros & Cons
- Slim design
- Very good display
- Fast performance
- Price is slightly on the higher side
- Average battery life
Other models worth buying
Best Laptop For Home Use With Excellent Battery Life
Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-53VG
This is one of the best laptops to get for home use which can meet all your demands perfectly such as you can enjoy movies, videos etc. in its big 15.6-inch Full HD display. The powerful processor Intel Core i5 6200U provide the fastest performance while the 2GB NVIDIA GeForce 940MX DDR5 graphics let you enjoy any heavy and high-end games smoothly. It packs 8GB DDR4 RAM with 256GB SSD, runs on Windows 10 while its backlit keyboard is just perfect for typing. Also, the battery life is quite appreciable, up to 12 hours.
- Those who want a versatile laptop that can contribute to daily productivity
- Great device for users who play a wide variety of games extensively
- Suitable for people who work on a laptop for several hours as it offers the best battery life among 15-inch screen laptops
- Multiple connectivity ports make it a good device for people to connect a bunch of peripheral at the same time
Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-53VG Pros & Cons
- Runs high-definition games smoothly
- Long-lasting battery
- Uninspiring design
- Inadequate color accuracy
One Of The Best Home Use Laptop From Dell With Thin And Light Weight Design
Dell XPS 13
This is a great windows laptop to own for home use which is very powerful and lets you do every task with ease. It comes with a 13.3-inch FHD display of 1920×1080 resolutions. The processor is Intel’s latest skylake and for gaming, it has packed Intel Iris Graphics 540. The RAM is 8GB with 256GB SSD storage. With all these, the interesting thing is its design. The design is amazing and the set is very thin, lightweight which can be carried everywhere.
- Those who prefer a visually appealing and slim laptop
- Suitable for people who like the comfort and convenience of a touchscreen display
- The long battery life should keep those who spend hours working on the laptop happy
- Works very well for those who travel frequently and need to carry their laptop to different places
Dell XPS 13 Pros & Cons
- Attractive design
- Bezel-free display
- Comfortable keyboard and touchpad
- Limited port connectivity
- Poor webcam
Best Home Use Laptop With Great Storage
Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK
Another great laptop from Dell for home use that is designed for all kind of purpose such as gaming, watching movies, surfing net and more. The 15.6-inch FHD display with LED-lit true-life screen ensures everything becomes highly interesting on the screen. Also, storage is excellent. 8GB RAM, 8GB SSD storage and 1 TB hard drive indicate you will never run short of space on this laptop. Gaming in this laptop is highly enjoyable due to the inclusion of 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M GDDR5 graphics card.
- Those who use their laptops as their primary source of storing data and information
- Suitable for gamers who like to play high-definition games
- Full HD display makes it a great buy for people who consume a lot of video content
- Suitable for those who participate in video conferences regularly
Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK Pros & Cons
- Processor functions very well
- Very good screen resolution
- Good multi-tasker
- Battery drains out fast
- The hard drive is slow
Best Laptop From ASUS With Hardy Design And Excellent Screen
Asus ZenBook UX305
This is a great piece from ASUS that looks a lot like MacBook. The features and specifications of this laptop are: 13.3-inch full HD IPS display that has a glare-free feature with 170-degree viewing angle, 6th generation Intel Core i5 6200U Skylake processor, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Windows 10 OS and long 10 hours battery life. The design is very eye-catching with an all-aluminum body that is made to be ultra-slim.
- Those who prefer a light and thin laptop over a large-sized or bulkier device
- Works well for those who like to work on a spacious device and one which gives them enough scope to move their hands around
- Suitable for those who like to connect multiple peripherals to their laptops while working
- Those who want a device that could work throughout the day and carry out multiple functions
Asus ZenBook UX305 Pros & Cons
- Very light in weight and thin
- Glare-free display screen
- Well-built and comfortable keyboard
- Small-sized speakers
- Average graphics
The Best Laptop For Home Use With Thinnest Design
Microsoft Surface Book
Looking for one of the most powerful but thinnest laptops? Then this might be the best choice for you. Microsoft has captured the market and has made its user base much happier by introducing this convertible laptop. The screen is 13.5-inch, the quality of the screen is just amazing with the 3000×2000 resolution.
- People who need a laptop for video conferencing
- Those who need a device that can double up as a laptop and a tablet
- Suitable for those who binge-watch video content and expect a very good display screen
- Also suitable for people who would like to write or draw using a Surface Pen
Microsoft Surface Book Pros & Cons
- Futuristic look
- Great display screen
- Powerful internal components
- Below par battery life
- The hinge leaves a gap
Best Budgeted Home Use Laptop Running On Windows 10
HP 15-ay011nr Laptop
Another best laptop for home use that runs on the Windows 10 operating system and can meet all your demands with ease. HP 15-ay011nr Laptop is one of the best home use laptops due to the high-end features it comes with. For example, Intel Core i5 6200U Processor 2.8GHz, 8GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive with 5400RPM, and of course, the 15.6-inch full HD diagonal anti-glare screen is there to indicate that it is no doubt one of the best laptops to own.
- Those who like to play basic games along with doing other regular activities
- Those who prefer a full HD screen on their laptops
- Works well for people looking for a device which could perform daily computing tasks well
- Those expecting a device to have multiple connectivity points
HP 15-ay011nr Laptop Pros & Cons
- Powerful multimedia performance
- Complete high-definition display screen
- Good storage capacity
- The screen is not touch-enabled
- The keyboard is not backlit
See also: Top best laptops for teachers
Frequently Asked Questions
Should laptops for home use have spill-proof keyboards?
You can check while buying the laptop for home use if the keyboard is spill-proof. It is not an essential feature to have. You can spill a liquid in an office environment too. Even if you accidentally spill something on your laptop, it won’t cause any serious damage. It can be rectified/restored quickly.
Is warranty a key issue while buying a laptop for home use?
Warranty is always an issue when you buy any gadget. In the case of a laptop for home use, your concerns could be that there will be multiple people handling it. The chances of something going wrong are high and you would want some protection. Laptop makers don’t distinguish between laptops based on usage. You must insist on the maximum warranty from the seller while buying.
What is the average life of a laptop for home use?
There is no specific or fixed lifespan. It depends on how much care you take while handling it and keeping it while not in use. The one thing that wears out is the battery. If you are using the laptop only at home and it remains plugged to a power source, even that part is taken care of. Some minor hardware issues can be addressed through repairs. You should be able to extract a life of at least 3 years with a good laptop if you use it responsibly.
Should laptops be shut down when not in use or let them be on sleep mode?
Experts have diverse opinions on this. The ideal way if you don’t plan to use the laptop for some hours is to shut it down and reboot when needed. If you are taking shorter breaks then the sleep mode is better. There is a third alternative ‘Hibernate’ that may be the best.
Does the year of manufacture of a laptop matter while buying it?
In normal circumstances, it should not matter since most laptop sellers will be offering you machines made in the last one year and not older than that. As long as the components are as per the specifications and the latest software is being loaded, the manufacturer or brand should not be a problem.
The best screen size for home use would be from 12.5 inches to 14 inches, as it offers the best compromise between usability and portability. You can opt for larger screens if you don’t travel a lot. Minimum Specs should be a processor of Core i5, a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels, a RAM of 8 GB and SSD storage. It is also important to have a good battery life of at least 8 hours. If you’d like to use your laptop as a tablet as well, consider buying 2 in 1, otherwise, a regular clamshell laptop will be a better option. There are MacBooks, Windows laptops as well as Chromebooks to choose from. Most laptops operate on Windows; Chrome; or Mac operating systems and selecting one of these is more a matter of personal preferences and your budget.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.