Are you looking for the best laptops for high school students? Well, then you have landed on the right page.
The laptop is one of the primary things that every student needs to have one just like the notebook and pencil to accomplish all their task easily. There are factors to be looked into while choosing the laptops for a student such as a price, durability, multitasking, etc. Price plays a prime role here as the students normally look for a PC that is not overpriced while multi-tasking is another criteria as a student will tend to use the laptop to complete various tasks. So, here we will include a list of the best laptops for high school students keeping all the needed factors in mind.
See also: Top best gaming laptops under $1000
A laptop is an inseparable part of a high school student’s life. It is as important as their textbooks and school ID card. Laptops are not only required to complete school work but also for various extracurricular activities. Apart from that high school kids need to be on social networks to stay connected with their peers. Other things include streaming movies, gaming, playing music, creating digital art and more. Furthermore, high school students need laptops that last through the under graduation at least. While choosing the best laptops for high school students, there are several considerations. Some of them are listed here.
- College Requirements: High school students need to verify with their school for any definite system requirements. Quite often, colleges require their students to be equipped with particular software to keep incompatibility and technical issues at bay.
- Weight: As students are always on the go, it is not the best idea to carry a big-screen heavy notebook all day long. It is recommended to pick something light to carry over a longer haul. If your convenience matters more to you as compared to the screen size, then an ultra-thin laptop might be the way to go. At the maximum, it is ideal to have a 13 to 14-inch widescreen panel.
- Power and RAM: High school students usually require a high-performance machine. A Windows 10 or macOS equipped with Intel Core i5 or Core i7 CPU is the perfect combination to complete the majority of tasks under the radar. If the high school student is a hardcore gamer and uses certain applications that require intense power, it is ideal to pick a gaming laptop.
- Storage: Laptops for high school students must have adequate storage. The ideal level would be 1TB SSD. If the student has external storage options, then a 500GB storage level is ideal as well. It is important to understand the needs as well. An aspiring videographer or filmmaker would need more storage than any other high school student.
- Connectivity: Connectivity is highly important for high school students. Opt for laptops that have the most number of connectivity options.
- Battery: Powerful battery is as important as owning a laptop. High school students carry their laptops almost everywhere; the battery should support the running of the laptop as long as it can. The battery must be specifically verified with extra care before making a purchase. It is recommended to have a battery that can be effortlessly replaced.
Best Laptops For High School students
The Most Luxurious and Sophisticated Laptop a Student Could Buy
Huawei MateBook X Pro Signature Edition 13.9-inch 3K Display Laptop
As we have already specified this to be the most luxurious of them all, be prepared to shell close to $1200 to own this one. Once you successfully digest the fact that this is an expensive piece of hardware, it’s all breezy from there. Huawei is a leading smartphone manufacturer and its quality in the laptop industry also seems impeccable. The MateBook X Pro Signature Edition has a large 13.9-inch screen which has an impressive resolution of 3000 x 2000 pixels.
The laptop is extremely thin and is powered by an 8th gen Intel i5 8250U processor coupled with 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of SSD. The device provides Dolby Atmos audio for immersive multimedia experience and has multiple ports in the slim design including USB A, USB C, HDMI and VGA for easy connectivity. While it might sound very expensive for students, there are many who like to invest in a great product for long-term convenience and amazing computing experience. The Huawei product justifies it in every aspect.
- Students who are willing to invest in a premium product to get the best experience
- Users who do a lot of document work and like to view videos, movies will enjoy the high-resolution display and Dolby Atmos sound
Huawei MateBook X Pro Signature Pros & Cons
- Excellent slim design
- Great selection of ports including USB Type C
- Amazing 3K display that’s great for viewing documents
- Very expensive, especially for students who are on a stringent budget
The Most Budget Friendly Laptop Under $200
Acer Aspire 1 14-inch Full HD Student Laptop
Students love to have things completed on a budget because they not only have to buy laptops but also a bag, smartphone, headphones and many other items. The best laptops for high school students are the ones that ideally balance the budget and are reliable, performance-wise. While the Acer Aspire 1 may not impress in terms of design, it does so at price to performance ratio and hardware specifications. The laptop which has a 14-inch 1080p display is powered by Intel Celeron N3450 quad-core processor clocked at 2.2 GHz. For everyday school and college, the processor is ample to handle browsing and taking notes.
The Acer laptop has 4 GB of RAM and 32 GB of internal storage. The storage is quite less but if you use lots of cloud storage and have a Wi-Fi connection at school, this shouldn’t be a problem. The device runs on Windows 10 home and has a nice matte black finish on top. The ports available include USB, audio jack, HDMI, USB Type C and there’s even an SD card reader to let you expand its memory. The laptop offers a solid 9 hours of battery life that should easily get you through an entire day.
- An easy pick for students who are on a budget and want a no-frills laptop with excellent battery life
Acer Aspire 1 14-inch Full HD Pros & Cons
- Full HD display with a large 14-inch panel
- All necessary ports are provided
- Quite affordable for students
- The plastic and build quality is just mediocre
Large Display and a DVD Drive Makes this the Best Student Laptop
Lenovo Ideapad 310 15.6-inch AMD Laptop
The Lenovo Ideapad 310 has received rave reviews from buyers and continues to be the best laptop that you could buy for just $400. It is being offered with a range of configurations including AMD and Intel processors, while the i7 variant will be the most expensive of them all. The entry-level variant sports an AMD A10 9600P processor with 8 GB of RAM and 1 TB of hard disk space. The specs are great compared to how economic this product from Lenovo is.
AMD also differs the best in class graphics card on a chip allowing you to do some mild tasks such as Photoshop or gaming. The unique and exclusive aspect of the Ideapad 310 is the integrated DVD writer which has become a rarity these days. There is still scope for discs and you can also use DVDs of old software, movies and listen to your music collection at the highest quality. The laptop has all important ports including Wi-Fi AC, Ethernet, HDMI and SD Card reader. The large 15.6-inch display is a welcome addition, but it is just 720p which is a mild disappointment. Everything else offers great value for money.
- If you do a lot of homework involving excel sheets and also like to view videos on a large display, this one should do
- The ample amount of RAM and storage space makes it a reliable product for many years for power users
Lenovo Ideapad 310 15.6-inch AMD Pros & Cons
- The large display makes it easier to view documents and movies
- Budget friendly pricing
- DVD RW is a great addition
- The 720p display is disappointing, instead of Full HD resolution
An Affordable Laptop Exclusively Made for Students
HP ProBook x360 11-G1 EE 11.6-inch Convertible Laptop
The most reputed brands sometimes do make the best laptops for high school students and HP has been exclusively promoting this particular model as one such. It is aimed at the learning crowd and also to make things easier for teachers. The laptop is even known as the Education Edition. The HP ProBook x360 11-G1 EE has an 11.6-inch display with a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. It is a touchscreen display that makes it easy for young kids and even college students to take notes during class. The device also supports Active Pen allowing you to write or draw using digital ink.
The ProBook is powered by the Intel N3450 quad-core processor coupled with 4 GB of DDR3 RAM and 64 GB of storage. The laptop has Wi-Fi AC, Bluetooth and SD card reader. The student-friendly design further extends to the display by making it fully convertible. You can easily flip the keyboard to the back of the display and use it like any other tablet. It runs on Windows 10 providing you the full OS experience while including additional features such as stylus and touchscreen. The pricing is the icing on the cake as it makes it readily affordable for students.
- Students looking forward to a touchscreen display and stylus in an affordable package can go for this model
- It looks cool and also doubles up as an entertainment device in tablet mode
HP ProBook x360 11-G1 EE 11.6-inch Pros & Cons
- Fully convertible laptop with a touchscreen display
- Affordable pricing at just $300
- Stylus support
- Some compromises in hardware specs slows it down during intense tasks
A Powerful Convertible Student Laptop
Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 13.3-inch 2 in 1 Touchscreen Laptop
The Samsung Notebook 9 Pro is a powerful laptop aimed at students who are willing to spend a little more to get premium build quality, great hardware specifications and a laptop that could also function as a tablet. The convertible laptop sports a 13.3-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. It is powered by 8th gen Intel i7 8550U quad-core processor clocked at 1.8 GHz and also has a 720p webcam in the front. The device has 8 GB of RAM with an SSD storage drive.
Buyers can choose to go for a configuration with 1TB SSD for maximum storage space which will also increase its overall price tag. The Samsung laptop costs nearly $1200 and is aimed at students who have the funds to spend to use the same device through the years. It also has a backlit keyboard, Wi-Fi AC, Bluetooth, USB Type C and runs on Windows 10 Home 64-bit operating system. The device can run for an impressive 10 hours on a single charge, making it a reliable device for students. The laptop has a 360-degree hinge that you can use to flip it back to tablet mode and make use of the touchscreen display.
- Students interested in using it as a wholesome entertainment device and wouldn’t want to invest in more items such as an additional tablet or gaming console during their school years can for this one
Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 13.3-inch 2 in 1 Pros & Cons
- Convertible laptop with a touchscreen display
- SSD boosts overall response time and easy to take notes
- Long battery life
- Very expensive even with the entry-level variant
Best Laptops for High School Students with Premium Build
Microsoft Surface Go
Microsoft made their big entry into the world of hardware with the Surface range of laptops and they have been doing an incredible job at that. While their Pro models are more expensive, the Surface Go is an excellent choice for high school students. Priced at approximately $600 including the device and the cover, the Go has a 10-inch high-resolution touchscreen display and looks ultra-premium in terms of build quality. The keyboard is innovative which has to be purchased separately, but it stands true to the brand name and works like a charm including the trackpad.
The Surface Go is powered by an Intel Pentium processor with 8 GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage space. It has a USB C port, SD card slot and an audio jack to easily connect your headphones. The laptop is extremely lightweight at just 1.15 lbs allowing you to easily carry it to school without being burdened. It runs on Windows 10 S mode, which makes it more convenient to use and all the Microsoft software programs come pre-installed which should be more than enough for classwork. The back stand is very versatile, allowing you to store the laptop in nearly any position; laptop mode, tablet or studio mode. It is praised by reviewers and should last long beside the powerful hardware that ensures responsive OS operations at all times.
- For any student who needs an affordable yet premium solution, this laptop would be easy to take to school any day
Microsoft Surface Go Pros & Cons
- Microsoft’s brand name and build quality is evident in this product
- Very versatile to use in different modes
- Offers great value for money and robust build quality
- Doesn’t run on full Windows 10 operating system
A Smartly Designed Laptop for Students
Acer Swift 3 14-inch Full HD Laptop
The Acer Swift 3 is strikingly good looking especially with its display as the designers have gone for a stylish look that will be appealing to students. The laptop has a spacious 14-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. It is powered by 8th generation Intel Core i5 8250U processor which is paired with 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of hard disk space. Considering the price tag, it is surprising to see that they have even included a dedicated Nvidia GeForce MX150 graphics card. While it is not intended for hardcore gaming, you should be able to do some light gaming and use photoshop easily.
Swift 3 looks like a generic laptop in the keyboard area but it gets the job done. There is an ethernet port, HDMI, USB Type C, audio jack and an SD Card reader to further expand storage space. The laptop powered by a 3220 mAh battery can run for 10 hours on a single charge. It is more than adequate for students to attend all their classes and still have some juice left for using it at home. Acer has brought the best of performance and value for money in a single package, making this one of the best laptops for high school students. The laptop also has a fingerprint reader, Wi-Fi AC and uses a backlit keyboard.
- A no hassle laptop aimed at students with all essential features and a fitting cost
Acer Swift 3 14-inch Full HD Pros & Cons
- The pricing is just right and should be an easy pick for all
- The inclusion of a graphics card further enhances performance
- Reliable build quality and great-looking display
- The overall style factor is not up to the mark and may not appeal to students who want to stand out from the crowd
A Solid Student Laptop from Samsung
Samsung Galaxy Book 12-inch 2 in 1 Touchscreen Laptop
Making student laptops these days could be a tricky affair as they expect more for the price they pay. Samsung being a pioneer in design has come up with the Galaxy Book 12-inch which is a 2 in 1 laptop that also functions as a tablet when the keyboard is removed. The device is slightly more expensive than other entry-level products but is worth the money as you get a brilliant display, convertible design and support for a stylus that could play a huge role in making this a student-friendly laptop. You could actually take notes in class, get assignments done and also watch movies on the fly with the Galaxy Book.
The laptop features a 12-inch display with a bumped up resolution of 2160 x 1440 pixels. The device is powered by the Intel Core i5 7200U processor clocked at 2.50 GHz, combined with Intel HD graphics 620. It also has 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB SSD which should be ample to get most work done at school without hiccups. The slim device’s house a surprisingly huge number of ports including micro SD card reader, USB Type C, Wi-Fi AC, Bluetooth and a headphone jack. The Samsung Galaxy Book has a 5MP front camera and a 13MP rear camera with stylus support and a removable keyboard. It weighs just 1.66 lbs making it very lightweight, while the Windows 10 laptop can run for an impressive 11 hours on a single charge. You might hardly need to look for a port to plug it in.
- A great 2 in 1 device aimed at students who can spend bit more to get a touchscreen and great battery life for all-day use
Samsung Galaxy Book 12-inch 2 in 1 Pros & Cons
- Excellent battery life
- The 2K screen that makes it great to use for documents and movies
- Stylus support
- The detachable keyboard may take time to get used to as it is different from a conventional keyboard
The Cheapest Laptop that Runs Apple’s MacOS
Apple MacBook Air 13.3-inch Laptop
Apple is known for making some of the most expensive laptops in the world and recently companies like Microsoft, Samsung has caught up with it with premium pricing. The MacBook Air is the cheapest student laptop that you could buy to get the Mac OS experience. It is considered more reliable in terms of keeping files safe, a great OS and also syncs with the Apple ecosystem, if you already own an iPhone, iPad or any other device from the brand. The MacBook Air has a 13.3-inch display and is powered by the Intel Core i5 processor.
The device is exceptionally great when it comes to robust and impressive build quality that could last many years. While you can buy a refurbished model for $500, a new one could go up to $900 which is still worth the price. The laptop can run an impressive time for about 12 hours on a single charge and is powered by Wi-Fi AC. The SSD storage on the MacBook Air is exceptionally fast when compared to most laptop models that ensure a responsive and reliable storage solution. It is also known for its exceptionally thin design and it weighs just 2.96 pounds, making it easy to carry in your backpack when going to school.
- If you love the OS and the build quality Apple offers along with brand name, the Air is the best option
Apple MacBook Air 13.3-inch Pros & Cons
- Apple MacOS is available on this model that is cheaper than the Pro version
- Impressive build quality and one of the best trackpads available
- Long battery life that lasts 12 hours
- Expensive and not ideal for Windows UI lovers
Best Gaming Laptop That’s Budget Friendly
MSI GV62 8RD-200 15.6-inch Gaming Laptop
Gaming laptops could easily get very expensive and can cross the $1000 mark in most cases. Recently, manufacturers like Asus, MSI and Gigabyte have made them more affordable than the intimidating Alienware and Razer laptops. The MSI GV62 8RD-200 is one such product that costs $800, but you may also be able to buy one with a deal for a cheaper price.
The laptop has a large 15.6-inch 1080p display and is powered by 8th gen Intel i5 processor with 8 GB of RAM, 16 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD. It runs on a solid 1050Ti which is perfect for playing titles like Counter-Strike, Dota and Overwatch. You can also play AAA titles at medium to low settings after school hours. The laptop uses a SteelSeries keyboard. Being a gaming laptop, it may not offer 12 hours of battery life but you should be able to get 4-5 hours before you need a charging outlet to keep it running.
- If you are a high school student who likes to game a lot and need a gaming laptop that is also good for taking to your class, MSI got you covered with this one
MSI GV62 8RD-200 15.6-inch Pros & Cons
- Excellent value for money with balanced hardware specs
- 1050Ti graphics card for competitive gaming on the fly
- Great air flow design
- Unreliable battery life
Other laptops worth buying
One Of The Best And Powerful Laptop For Student
Dell XPS9350-8008SLV 13.3 inch
If you have some fascination over the Dell brand then this is probably the best choice for you from this company. This laptop is highly powerful, fully functional while it is aesthetically pleasing as well. It has a great 13.3-inch QHD touch display with 3200×1800 pixels resolution that makes everything enjoyable starting from movies, games, etc. The powerful Intel Core i7 6560U processor at 2.2 GHz is responsible for delivering such excellent performance. Other specification includes 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD storage, Intel Iris Graphics 540 for amazing and smooth gaming experience and more. So, this is a perfect piece for the students from Dell.
- Students who really need an affordable laptop for their studies can enjoy the best display and performance this laptop offers.
- Moderate experience is guaranteed considering the cost of the laptop because it is aimed at students.
Dell XPS9350-8008SLV 13.3 inch Pros & Cons
- High-resolution display
- Display with a near bezel-less design
- Extra thin and lightweight
- Fragile design
- Limited storage space
Best Cheapest Laptop For High School Student
ASUS Vivobook E200HA
Another great laptop to mention in the list which has all the basic features that are needed by the students. The best thing is it is a highly affordable laptop as ASUS has made it available at a very cheap price. However, a lower price does not indicate you need to compromise on the performance. This laptop is powered by the Intel Quad-Core Atom Z8350 processor at 1.44 GHZ while the 4GB RAM and 32GB eMMC storage let you store many things you want. The screen has 11.1 inches with 366×768-pixel resolution but this is not bad for the student. With all these another best part of this laptop is its battery. It can deliver 12 hours of battery life with a mild performance.
- For students who are okay with limited storage and performance but need a secondary laptop for their school projects, this is a perfect choice.
- You can go for this if you have a requirement for the longest battery life on a device despite its moderate performance capabilities.
ASUS Vivobook E200HA Pros & Cons
- Asus delivers excellent value for money
- Excellent battery life clocks in at 12 hours
- Intel Atom processor is quite sluggish at times
- Small display with 720p resolution
Best Laptop For Students With Excellent Productivity
HP Notebook 15-ay011nr
HP Notebook 15-ay011nr is a great name in the list that will not require breaking the bank as this is priced very reasonably so that students can reach their hands towards it. The Intel Core i5 6200U processor at 2.3GHz that can be turbo up to 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR3L SDRAM, 1TB HDD ensures this laptop is designed to deliver a lag-free and simply excellent performance. Also, it runs on Windows 10 out of the box. The screen is also big enough to have a 15.6 inch full HD display featured with antiglare WLED backlit that let the users enjoy everything such as movies, games and other things to the fullest.
- An all-rounder laptop for users who love movies, music and to do work on the go without having to spend a small fortune.
- Easy to use and the 1TB hard disk space will make it easier for you to store large files for immediate access.
HP Notebook 15-ay011nr Pros & Cons
- Priced at a reasonable range.
- Easy to use with a large 15.6-inch display.
- WLED backlit screen
- No SSD storage
- The processor is moderately powerful
Best Chromebook From ASUS
ASUS Chromebook Flip 12.5 Inch Laptop
Reaching the hand towards that expensive Chromebook from Google and HP is not everyone’s cup of tea especially when you are a student. This is the reason ASUS came to the field with their Chromebook that is priced reasonably while offers all that stunning features along with having an aesthetic look. The screen is dazzling with a full HD touchscreen of 12.5 inches. This Chromebook can be used as a tablet and laptop both thanks to its 360-degree hinge. Other specifications include the Intel Core m3 processor with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage. It weighs around 2.6 pounds so the extra lightweight indicates it can be carried out easily everywhere. Another good thing that made it portable is its long battery life that can keep the laptop alive for long 10 hours.
- The laptop can comfortably be flipped over to be used as a tablet which solves the dual purpose of being an entertainment device and a gadget for work.
- Works on Chromebook for people who primarily rely on Google’s ecosystem for most of their tasks.
ASUS Chromebook Flip 12.5 Inch Laptop Pros & Cons
- Hybrid laptop for work and entertainment
- Extra lightweight for easy traveling
- 10 hours of battery life
- Chromebook doesn’t run Windows 10 OS
- Not compatible with popular software programs
Best Cheap Laptop For High School Students Under $200
HP Stream 11.6 inch Premium Flagship Laptop
Do you have a tight budget and want to buy one under $200? Well, there are many options for you while HP Stream 11.6 inch laptop is one of the best laptops for high school students that you can consider looking at. It will cost you just $176 and that’s it. However, the price does not indicate that the performance and features of this laptop are poor. On the contrary. You will be able to complete all your tasks easily. This machine is powered by the Intel Celeron N3060 Dual-core processor at 1.60 GHz that can be turbo up to 2.48 GHz along with 4GB RAM and 32GB SSD storage. The 11.6-inch screen of 1366×768 resolution lets you enjoy everything stunningly. The bottom line of this laptop is its speakers and great battery life.
- The laptop costs less than $200 and it is next to impossible to find a device at this low cost making it perfect for students on a budget.
- The super-compact display makes it easier to be used wherever you go with amazing battery life.
HP Stream 11.6 inch Premium Flagship Laptop Pros & Cons
- Beautiful blue color adds vibrance to the laptop
- Priced at an extremely affordable level
- Not the most responsive processor
- Resolution is 720p
Frequently Asked Questions:
How much should I invest on a laptop meant for high school students?
As a high school student, you must invest according to the type as well as the nature of the course you have chosen. For example, if you are a graphic design student who needs intense graphic design software or someone studying film making trying to learn Final Cut Pro/film editing, it is recommended to invest enough to purchase a MacBook or another laptop with specs that are quite essential. On the other hand, if you are a literature student, a laptop with standard performance would be more than enough for your needs.
Is dedicated graphics necessary for a high school laptop?
No. An excellent level of performance is offered even if the laptop does not have the best graphics card. A subpar graphics card does the job well for a high school student. Yet, if the course you have chosen demands you to create content or you are a hardcore gamer, you must opt for a device with a proper graphics card installed.
What is the ideal weight of a high school student’s laptop?
As a high school student, you are always on the go. If you want to make the best of portability, then it is recommended to pick something lightweight and does not exert pressure on your shoulders.
Do I need a Full HD display?
Being a high school student, you will have to attend lectures online, work on assignments, watch educational videos and access many other learning materials. In that case, it is advisable to get a laptop with at least a full HD display for the best experience.
Are convertible laptops ideal for high school students?
Convertible laptops that have a touch screen and stylus support are excellent for subjects that are more on the creative side. Furthermore, they have the advantage of portability as well.
Do the laptops have MS Office preloaded in them?
In most of the cases, you will get the Windows OS, the Home edition already loaded. You are required to source the MS Office program independently. If you are making use of MS Office on your current laptop, you can use that same key to load MS Office in the newly purchased laptop.
The best laptops for high school students are often expected to be the cheapest, most affordable of the lot. While it is true to a certain extent, there are students who are willing to spend more because laptops are one of the most important devices they take to school every day. Investing in it to get a premium experience, increased battery life and at times, going for a convertible touchscreen model that doubles up as a tablet offers more value for money.
With major brands like Samsung, HP and Acer making laptops at every price point, it shouldn’t be tough for you to find the most appropriate model. Microsoft Surface Go is another awesome piece of technology meant for modern users while the MacBook Air is more conventional and impresses with its battery life. If you aren’t in a position to spend more, you can always buy a cheaper $300 laptop now and buy a newer, premium laptop one or two years down the lane.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.