Table of Content
- 1. Buying Guide
- 2. Best Laptops for Basic Needs
- 3. Sophisticated Laptop with a Responsive Fingerprint Reader
- 4. Budget-Friendly Laptop with Reliable Processor
- 5. 11.6-inch Screen Laptop with Good Battery Support
- 6. 15.6-inch Display Screen Laptop with 256 GB SSD Storage
- 7. Lightweight Laptop Device with Good Connectivity Support
- 8. Budget-Friendly Laptop with 14-inch Display Screen
- 9. Budget-Friendly Laptop That Offers Good Battery Support
- 10. Frequently Asked Questions
If you need to get your hands on the best laptop for your basic needs, you are in the right place. The market is flooded with different laptops, but laptops are manufactured to accomplish specific purposes.
For instance, some are designed specifically for gaming, and so they have powerful graphics cards, whereas others have high-end processors to offer professionals the best speed and efficiency. A laptop for basic needs would cover surfing the net, playing games, watching a movie or YouTube, sending emails, etc.
See also: Best laptops for writers.
A laptop has become an essential gadget due to some inherent features they possess. They are easy to carry around and work with, whether within the house or outside. While many functions of laptops can be done using mobile phones these days, you may have many distractions there. Someone might call you when you are watching a video, or there may be constant receipt of messages that can spoil the fun. With a laptop, you have no such worries.
You can check your mail, play light games like minesweeper or solitaire and watch YouTube. How do you choose the best laptop for basic needs? Below are some features for you to keep in mind?
- Display Size: You should be happy with a moderately sized laptop in the 14-inch to 15-inch range. In the latest ones, the laptop manufacturers have shrunken the size of the bezels to offer you more display areas on the screen.
- Processor: Any excellent Quad-core processor currently on the market should be able to do the tasks you expect from your laptop. Intel CPUs come in a wide range, and a Core i5 or Core i7 should satisfy your requirements.
- RAM & Storage: These may not pose enormous challenges if you plan to use the laptop for basic needs. A 4 GB or 6 GB of RAM and around 500 GB of storage memory should be sufficient to meet your needs. Most laptops these days come with these specifications.
- Color & Design: Look for some bright colors if they are available beyond the usual silver and Black. It can liven up your day and make your computing activities more enjoyable. It will also be pleasant to a visitor's eye.
- Display: Depending on how many hours you may use your laptop every day, check if the laptop display has any special eye-protection coating or adjustments. This can be useful as your eyes won't be strained by long hours of using the laptop.
- Battery: The battery life is crucial if you plan to take the laptop outside, where charging facilities may be difficult to access. If you take flights frequently and use your laptops at the airports while waiting, the battery should last you that long. Laptop specifications usually include how long the battery lasts on a full charge with regular usage.
Best Laptops for Basic Needs
Sophisticated Laptop with a Responsive Fingerprint Reader
HP 17.3-inch Display Screen Notebook
The silver metallic design of this HP device is highly classy and impressive. It delivers the kind of performance that matches up to its alluring design. The laptop features a 17.3-inch display screen that produces a resolution of 1020 x 1080 pixels and is great for both playing high-end games and streaming video content.
Along with a 16 GB high-bandwidth memory, the laptop boasts an efficient processor in the form of an AMD Ryzen 5 5500U Hexa-Core processor. You will face no issue while carrying out multiple functions simultaneously on this device. The hard disk offers a storage space of 1 TB. There are multiple connectivity options including a 3.5mm headphone jack.
- Recommended for individuals who are planning to buy a laptop with a large display screen.
- Also suitable for those who wish to own a laptop device that can be used in both one’s home and the workspace.
- 17.3-inch HD screen
- Fast-performing processor
- Good gaming performance
- Adequate storage support
- Slightly bulky
- No optical drive
Budget-Friendly Laptop with Reliable Processor
Lenovo IdeaPad 1 14-inch Wide Laptop
Featuring a 14-inch display screen, this Lenovo device is quite lightweight and easy to carry around during personal or work trips. The screen offers a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels and the audio output offered by the dual stereo speakers is quite good too. Along with a year-long subscription to Microsoft 365, the brand offers you free access to Xbox Game Pass for three months.
The laptop comes with 4 GB RAM and provides you with a storage space of 64 GB. Therefore, if you are used to storing a large amount of data on your devices, this might not be the best option for you. When charged to the full, the battery lasts for 7-8 hours. There are no USB-C ports on this device and the brand should benefit by expanding its connectivity options.
- Ideal for those looking to invest in a moderately priced laptop that can perform everyday computing tasks very well.
- Also recommended for individuals who prefer using compact-sized laptop devices.
- Lots of freebies
- Economical pricing
- Lightweight structure
- Strong audio-visual output
- Limited connectivity options
- Inadequate storage support
11.6-inch Screen Laptop with Good Battery Support
Lenovo Chromebook Flex 3 64 GB Hard Drive Laptop
Despite being a modestly priced device, the Lenovo Chromebook Flex 3 comes with several impressive features. When you charge the battery optimally, it lasts for as long as 10 hours. Therefore, you can use this device for a good number of hours even in the absence of a charger. The device features an 11.6-inch screen that reproduces images well.
Because of its lightweight structure, you can travel with this device easily. Though the design does not stand out, the device comes with the assurance of durability. The biggest highlight of this device is that it can be used both as a laptop and a tablet. It is quite rare to find a convertible device in this price range. The hard disk provides you with a storage space of 64 GB.
- A suitable option for those who are on a very tight budget and looking for a laptop that can do basic computing tasks well.
- Also recommended for individuals who are looking for an economically priced device that works both as a laptop and a tablet.
- Highly affordable
- Strong battery life
- Compact structure
- 2-in-1 convertible feature
- Ordinary design
- Underwhelming processor
15.6-inch Display Screen Laptop with 256 GB SSD Storage
HP 15 Intel Core i5-1135G7 Processor Laptop
The HP 15 comes features a 15.6-inch display screen that produces high-definition images. The screen has ultra-wide viewing angles that make watching movies on this device all the more fun. The built-in speakers are of good quality and offer an immersive experience while listening to music tracks and other audio content.
The device comes with pre-installed 8 GB RAM. The SSD offers a storage space of 256 GB. One of the biggest selling points of this device is its Intel Core i5-1135G7 CPU which runs at a good processing speed and enables the user to work efficiently. The True Vision HD webcam proves to be very useful for those who engage in digital work meetings regularly.
Why You Should Buy This?
- Recommended for individuals who have been looking for a slim and lightweight laptop that serves as a good travel companion.
- Also suitable for those who wish to buy a medium-budgeted laptop with a 15-inch screen.
- HD webcam
- Sharp display screen
- Lightweight structure
- Robust processing unit
- Gets noisy at times
- Average build quality
Lightweight Laptop Device with Good Connectivity Support
HP 14-inch High-Definition Display Screen Laptop
Available in four different color variants (indigo blue, black, white, and silver), this HP laptop boasts a sleek design that instantly attracts you to it. It features a 14-inch display screen that produces a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels and is ideal for consuming multimedia content. The device is quite light and you can easily carry it with you during professional trips.
It comes with a built-in hard drive that offers a storage space of 512 GB. You also get 128 GB of space from the SSD. The AMD A4 3020E processor works at a good speed and enables you to do a variety of things including playing basic games. The keyboard is sturdy and comfortable to use. However, there is no number pad.
- A suitable option for those looking for a lightweight laptop that helps them accomplish all of their personal and professional computing tasks.
- Also recommended for writers and media professionals who plan to invest in a moderately priced laptop.
- Efficient processor
- Vibrant display screen
- Lightweight and portable
- No number pad
- Lacks premium features
Budget-Friendly Laptop with 14-inch Display Screen
HP Intel Celeron N4020 Processor Laptop
The blue-colored design of this HP laptop adds a certain vibrancy to it which makes you notice it instantly. The Intel Celeron N4020 processor ensures the device performs well and works at a good speed. Along with 4 GB RAM, a 64 GB hard drive comes pre-installed with the laptop. The high-definition webcam and the responsive dual array digital microphones ensure you have a smooth experience while doing video calls.
The fact that the laptop features a 14-inch display screen makes it clear that it boasts of a compact and lightweight structure. The screen offers a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels and is ideal for gaming or streaming video content. The display screen, however, is not touch-enabled. The built-in speakers produce high-quality audio output. On the device, you will find many connectivity options including a microSD card reader.
Why You Should Buy This?
- Recommended for individuals who are looking for a moderately priced laptop that comes with a 15.6-inch display screen.
- Also a good option for those who wish to invest in a laptop that offers versatile features and works well for multimedia consumption.
- HD display screen
- Portable structure
- Strong audio output
- High-quality webcam
- Limited local storage
- The screen is not touch-enabled
Budget-Friendly Laptop That Offers Good Battery Support
Acer Aspire 1 15.6-inch Display Screen Laptop
This Acer device comes equipped with a 15.6-inch display screen that produces a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. Strong battery support is one of the last things you expect from a budget-friendly laptop. However, this laptop device lasts for 10 hours when you charge the battery to its optimal level. The hard disk offers 64 GB of limited storage space.
The device is powered by the Intel Celeron N4020 Dual-Core processor that runs at an operating speed of 2.8 GHz and is responsible for the laptop’s super-efficient performance. It comes with multiple connectivity options including a 3.5mm headphone jack. When you buy this device, the brand offers a 1-year subscription to Microsoft 365 for free.
Why You Should Buy This?
- Proves to be a good option for individuals looking for an affordable laptop that does basic computing tasks well.
- Also recommended for those who need a laptop that features an array of connectivity options.
- Moderate pricing
- Long-lasting battery
- Fast-performing processor
- Features a headphone jack
Frequently Asked Questions
After having purchased a basic needs laptop, can I upgrade it later?
There are limited options for upgrading a laptop. The RAM is the one area that can be modified to lift the performance of your basic needs laptop. Many laptops come with a spare slot for inserting a RAM card. If the laptop you bought came with 8GB RAM, you could make it 16GB by adding an 8GB RAM readily available on the market. Check that the processor is compatible with a higher level of RAM. There is hardly any other way to go for upgrades, and you will have to invest in a new laptop.
Can I switch the touchpad 'off' on a laptop?
Yes, you can turn OFF the touchpad on your laptop, provided you have installed a mouse. You can add a wired or wireless mouse to your laptop which can handle all the functions of the touchpad. There is usually a touchpad icon on the bottom bar, and you can click on it to switch the touchpad ON and OFF.
Can I download and install apps on a basic needs laptop?
Yes, you can download any app as long as you feel it is safe. Usually, the apps in the Play Store are expected to be safe to download.
How important is an antivirus program on a basic needs laptop?
Antivirus programs are vital for any connected device. Your computer can be hacked if there are no proper firewalls to protect it. If you are going to use your basic needs laptop to store vital information like your bank account details and passwords, you should be extra careful. You should buy the best antivirus package and install it.
Can the keyboards in the laptops be changed to a language other than English?
You can type in a different language using the same keyboard by making alterations in the settings on the laptop. This is done on a Windows 10 laptop by going to Settings and choosing "Time & language" and then "Region & Language." You can then add the language you wish to type in.
When picking the best laptop for your basic needs, first decide on a budget and then select a good manufacturer, such as the ones mentioned above. You will need to consider the screen size and other features like storage, battery life, graphics processor, the chipset, connectivity, the kind of keyboard, the screen resolution, etc., that will suit your requirements before deciding which one to buy. For most of us, basic tasks consist of using Microsoft Word, spreadsheets, sending emails, browsing the Internet, watching movies, and on-demand services such as Netflix. These devices are suitable for such uses.