TouchWiz Launcher is Samsung’s brainchild. It was developed by Samsung to give an edge to the Android operating system. With Android being highly customizable, Samsung is not the only company that has personalized the operating system for their users. It allows companies to give the phones they manufacture a personal touch. While some of us enjoy these interfaces, many users choose to use what is typically referred to as ‘vanilla Android’ meaning the user does not want their Android system to be modified with the help of a skin like the TouchWiz Launcher.
Here, we are going to show you how to disable TouchWiz launcher on Samsung Smartphones. We will start with the basic methods which will allow you to minimize the use of TouchWiz and we will gradually proceed to the more difficult options which will require some technical knowledge about smartphones.
What is TouchWiz?
To personalize the interface Samsung users get, Samsung uses TouchWiz as their customer UI on top of Android OS in its smartphones. The UI continues to be updated to provide the best customer experience to the Samsung users. To completely get rid of the interface, users ideally have to root their phone and flash a custom ROM. This allows them to customize the Android device according to their choice.
If your Samsung Galaxy S5 is having issues with TouchWiz, read the fixes here.
Methods to disable TouchWiz on Samsung Smartphone
Resetting the phone and then disabling bothered features is the first method. This method allows you to bring TouchWiz to its most basic form so that it does not interfere a lot with your phone usage. It is the most basic method of toning down the software.
Factory reset will erase every data from the phone, so do not forget to have a back-up of all the important files and documents beforehand.
- Head to the Settings menu of your device
- Look for Back-up & reset and tap on it
- On the next screen, under Personal data, you will find Factory data reset, tap on it
- Tap on ‘Erase everything’ to confirm your action.
Now the phone will reboot, but do not accept any Samsung’s updates and do not go to sign up for the Samsung account. This will help you to get rid of the bothered behavior of TouchWiz Launcher.
Samsung’s S Planner app is the one that keeps on bothering the users constantly. So first trash the icon from the Home screen and then disable it by going to Settings > Application > Application manager > S Planner > Force Stop it. Next, disable and clear the data and cache.
You can similarly disable other Samsung apps which you do not use but which can get somewhat irritating.
The second method is the easiest of all where the users can install a third party launcher to get rid of the Samsung’s TouchWiz Launcher. So many options are available such as Action Launcher, Nova Launcher, Apex Launcher, Aviate, etc. But Google new launcher is the best of all as it is completely free and will not mess up with your android device anyway. This launcher goes well with every android device that runs on Android jelly bean or on the later version. What you need to do is just go to the Google play store and download the launcher you want from there.
Once the launcher is installed, press the home button and you will get a popup asking you to choose the default option for the home button. You will notice that the launcher icon shows up on the popup, so select this as the default and tap on ‘Always’ so that you do not get the same pop up again and again. Once you select the new launcher, like the Google New Launcher, you will notice that your screen has a cleaner look just like the stock Android.
Installing the Material Design Theme is another effective solution for people who are not very fond of the TouchWiz launcher.The themes are available for recent models of Samsung. This is because the Theme Store is available in the latest phones only. The old models do not have this option so you can try the other methods to get rid of TouchWiz on old models.
- Go to the Settings menu of your device
- Look for Themes and tap on it
- You will have a few themes on the screen. Scroll down and you will find the option to explore new themes at the store. Tap on Theme Store.
- Scroll down till you find Modern and Simple, and then tap on the “More” option right next to it.
This will bring up all the themes under Modern and Simple. You are looking for the Material Theme which has been developed by Samer Zayer. This theme is very simple to the stock Android appearance and it allows users to enjoy the actual Android version without the TouchWiz.
Download this theme and press Apply once the download completes. This will help your phone get a new look which does away with the annoying TouchWiz inclusions. You can pair this solution with disabling the Samsung bloatware to get an even better Android experience.
Another method to disable TouchWiz Launcher is to root the device and install a new ROM. Rooting is really simple where you are required to download a tool from various options available.
- SuperOneClick is one such useful tool that you can download and install on the PC first.
- Next, make the ‘USB Debugging’ option on the phone by going to the developer option.
- Connect the Samsung phone with PC using a USB cable.
- Next, run the rooting software by pressing the ‘Root’ button. You will be asked to select the device that is to be rooted. Just choose the device and click on continue to go ahead with the process.
- Once the process is completed, a notification will be there on the PC.
Next, comes the second step where a new ROM, Google-esque ROM should be installed. This is again a two-step process where you need to first download the TWRP file on the PC and then download Google play edition .Zip file in the phone.
- Press and hold the power, home and Volume down buttons altogether and then press the Volume up button to see the warning screen.
- Next, connect the phone with PC using a USB cable.
- Open the software that you used for rooting the device. Browse the custom TWRP file from there and install it on the phone.
- Now create a folder named ‘ROMS’ in the phone from PC by going to My folder and by clicking on the phone’s icon.
- The downloaded 4.3 Google Play Edition .zip file is to be dragged and dropped into the created ‘ROM’ folder.
- Disconnect the phone now from your PC and boot it in recovery mode after turning it off.
- Finally, install the Google Play Edition on the phone by going to install > ROM folder and then click on the Google Play Edition .zip file.
You may also read: How To Fix Android Won’t Download Apps
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.