WhatsApp is one of the most popular social media messaging apps. Because it is designed for over the internet messaging, it lacks the distraction that comes apps that allow picture posting such as Instagram. Thus, this makes it ideal to use when communicating for business purposes. WhatsApp also allows users to form groups so that there can be communication between multiple parties at once. However, this also means that anyone with your mobile number can add you to a group. While you can block the admin and leave the group after, your mobile number will be exposed to everyone currently in the group.
Thus, we will cover how to control who can add you to WhatsApp Groups.
Solution and Steps to follow
- Launch WhatsApp on your mobile device. It has a green app icon with a phone within a chat bubble. If you are looking to install WhatsApp, you may do so from the Google Play Store for Android devices or the AppStore for iOS devices.
- For iPhone users, please follow step 4 and skip step 5. If you are an Android user, skip step 4, and follow step 5 instead. Both steps will direct you to the WhatsApp settings.
- On an iPhone, from within the WhatsApp application, click on the Settings tab. The icon can be found on the bottom left of your device’s screen. This will launch the WhatsApp settings on your iPhone.
- From within WhatsApp on your Android device, select the three dots on the top right of your screen. From the drop-down menu that appears, select Settings. You will be directed to a new page where you can change the settings for WhatsApp.
- In the Settings, select the Account option.
- Once you are within the Accounts subheading, select Privacy.
- You will see a few options. To change who can add you to WhatsApp groups, select the Groups option.
- From within Groups, you will be given three options: Everyone, My contacts, and My contacts except…
- If you want anyone with your phone number to be able to add you to a group, select Everyone. If you would only like your contacts to be able to add you to a group, you can choose My contacts. If you would like to narrow down the people that can add you to a group further, you can choose the last option instead. You will be directed to the list of contacts saved on your mobile device. To prevent a saved contact from being able to add you to a group, tap on the name of the contact. Tap on Done once you have selected all the contacts you want to exclude.
- Relaunch WhatsApp.
While you may have prevented your contacts from adding you to groups, they can still invite you to join a group by sending you a private link. Thus, you will not be left out. This function will just give you more control over joining a group.