If you are looking for changing the passcode of the Telegram app or you want to change the password required for the two-step verification when you log in to the Telegram app from a new device, this article is going to cover both. The passcode is required to be entered to open the Telegram app either when you have manually locked the app or when you are away from the app for a specific period (defined in the settings > privacy and security > passcode lock menu) of time. Whatever be the case, you can easily change the passcode or password by following the respective steps mentioned in this article.
See also: How to report someone on Telegram
Change passcode (case 1)
In case you know the passcode but do not want to continue using that passcode instead you want to change to some other passcode, then you need to follow the instructions given here.
- First of all, open the Telegram app.
- Now, enter the passcode of the Telegram app.
- When the app opens, tap on the hamburger icon or the three-lines icon present in the top-left corner of the app screen. Alternatively, you can slide from the left edge of the app screen towards the right to open up the menu.
- Now, go to the settings by tapping on the ‘settings’ option in the menu which opens after tapping the hamburger icon.
- This will open the settings menu on the app screen. From this menu, you need to choose to open the ‘privacy and security’ option. So, you need to tap on this ‘privacy and security’ option (there is a lock icon beside this option) which you will find under the ‘settings’ heading.
- The ‘privacy and security’ menu will open now. Here, under the ‘security’ heading, find the ‘passcode lock’ option and tap on it.
- A new menu appears where you need to tap on the ‘change passcode’ option.
- A text box tilted ‘enter your new passcode’ is now displayed on the app screen. Enter the new passcode here and tap next. Then, enter the same new passcode again.
- As soon as you enter the new passcode two times like this, your passcode will be changed.
Change passcode (case 2)
This is the case where you have forgotten the passcode and would like to change it. If you have forgotten the passcode, there is only one way to reset it. You will have to uninstall the Telegram app and then reinstall it and go through the process of setting up the passcode. Also, if you had any secret chats, they will be lost in the process. So, be careful with this process. Do it only if you have no other option and can’t remember the passcode at all.
The following steps need to be followed if you want to change the password of the Telegram app. This password is the password required for the two-step verification process. If you have already set up this password for your Telegram account, then these steps can be used to change it.
- Follow steps 1 to 5 under the ‘change passcode (case 1)’ heading above.
- When you reach the ‘privacy and security’ menu, tap on the ‘two-step verification’ option under the ‘security’ heading on the menu.
- Now, you will see the ‘change password’ option in the new menu being displayed. Tap on this option.
- Enter the new password and tap next. Then re-enter the new password and tap next.
- You have now changed the password and can use it for two-step verification.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.