On WWDC stage 2015, Craig Pederighi, Apple’s senior vice president of Software engineering introduced new OS X: OS X 10.11 named El Capitan. With his joke style and calm he shown some interesting stuff from OS X El Capitan. The main update focus from this new OS X is experience and performance, In short words. Experience means OS X aways from annoying things when we use it, plus there also additional features which can make our productivity better. Performance become a main topic and that’s good for us as OS X user. We felt OS X were getting slow and OS X El Capitan shows the positive thing in this area. Let discuss about new features of OS X El Capitan from user view point.
Experience OS X 10.11 El Capitan
Last year OS X Yosemite came with new design, look and feel and OS X El Capitan fixes some small things from OS X Yosemite.
- You probably have experienced that you couldn’t find cursor, right? On OS X El Capitan,you can find your cursor quickly, just shake your finger back and forth on the trackpad or give your mouse a shake, and the cursor gets bigger so it’s easy to spot. that is great! small thing but helpful
- Refinement Spotlight. Spotlight is a loyal friend of OS X user since OS X 10.4. It’s a very powerful search engine on your OS X. To be able to find something on OS X is the main feature of Spotlight at the beginning. Now, on OS X El Capitan, Spotlight has developed into Siri-like. Spotlight become smarter with more natural query search, such as: “find my email last June” or “find unread email from Denny”. Coupled with its ability in recognizing some query words like web video, stock, weather, sports team, etc. It is also now Spotlight more flexible: You can resize its window to see more results and move it anywhere on your desktop. Convenience!
- Mission Control is cleaner. a good thing is there is no more application icon on application window on Mission Control view. you can drag the application to side of thumbnail desktop to make it full screen app. Drag any window to the top of your screen when you are in desktop, and drop it into a new desktop space. this capabilities make window management like a pro. better that OS X Yosemite
- Split View. It’s the same style that you can find on Windows 8 and it’s do great can be adopted by Mac. Split View when application in full screen app circumstance will make you are able to do multitasking with more comfortable.
- Enhancement Mail app. Now you can use gesture of your 2 fingers on tab view. Swipe right to mark an email as read or unread, or swipe left to delete. On full screen mode, when you create a new mail, the compose window can be hidden for a while and you can even create a new tab on compose window. in OS X Yosemite, this thing can annoy us by the way.
- Safari. It became an highlight on WWDC keynote. Safari tab is now can be a pin tab similar to Chrome browser. Moreover, Safari knows which tab has a sound (similar to Chrome) and you can mute all sound. Sounds like chrome.
- Maps has public transit info with detailed walking, subway, train, bus, and ferry directions. It adds the capability and ready to compete with Google maps and we are waiting Apple to develop their database for other countries.
Furthermore, OS X El Capitan has a better notes application with additional feature such as check list and a better editing. Photos application can be integrated with photos editing app. If you use Chinese language OS X El Capitan adopts new font system PingFang which is beter, enhanced keyboard input and improved trackpad handwriting. And for Japanese user, there is live convertion feature for keyboard input and new font
Performance OS X 10.11 El Capitan
OS X El Capitan brings a better performance if it’s compared to OS X Yosemite. It can be seen from infographic below:
It’s remind us to OS X Snow Leopard which is refinement from the previous OS X, OS X Leopard. The other interesting stuff is metal technology adoption. Metal was introduced through iOS 8 as a framework graphic which make latency between Software and hardware, in this case access to hardware GPU is not much unobstructed by framework graphic, so that performance from graphic manipulation become increase. By adopting metal on new OS X makes graphics rendering by up to 50 percent, as well as making it up to 40 percent more efficient.
OS X El Capitan you can download and install as beta program in July
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting products and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.