Your opinions of the 5C

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kofter128, May 5, 2015.

1. kofter128

kofter128 New Member

Hey guys.
    I'm looking to buy a new phone and the 5C looks like nice device. I want to know how the build is. None of my friends own a 5C for me to ask them, nor can I judge the phone by testing it out in the store. I'm asking people that have used it for a few months now to tell me if Apple have done well with the plastic build of the phone and generally if it's sturdy enough to survive a drinking teenager in his college years :D

2. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

The build quality is fine as long as you realize it's a more playful version of the iPhone 5 (not S). The phone runs pretty well on iOS8 and doesn't suffer from many bugs. Currently, the SOC in the device is more than powerful enough to get through most tasks, and the camera is fairly high quality. I'd recommend the device as long as you're okay with the plastic backing and the smaller screen.

3. kofter128

kofter128 New Member

Thanks for the reply. Yup, I actually like the plastic body, I've held the device in my hand and it feels pretty solid (unlike other iPhones - they just feel too thin or even fragile when I'm holding them without a protective case on). And about the screen size, I'm really fine with it, I actually prefer smaller screen sizes, I just find the easier to work with. The fact that it has a high quality camera makes me want it even more :p I'll definitely look into what kind of prices the local stores offer and make my choice from there, thanks!

4. jfab

jfab Member

If you want something that would put color in your life, I say go for the iPhone 5c. I love its outer physical appearance.

5. pixel

pixel New Member

I think it's a decent phone. My sister has one and it feels nice to hold and is snappy enough during regular use. The colors add a nice aesthetic touch that I really liked on other android and windows devices.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I don't think it's too bad but it's very overpriced for what it offers. It's like the Android "mini" phones whichj are just really bad phones for high prices.
    I'd probably save up a little more and purchase a better iPhone.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

As with any Apple device, your not going to have too many issues when it comes to the actual device itself. If you've decided on the 5c then worrying about things like that shouldn't be an issue.

8. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

They are light weight and come in nice colors. The hardware is decent. They are good as starter iPhones.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

They're often referred to has a baby or a starter iPhone but don't let that put you off. They're still a decent device and will be able to do everything more than capably.

And of course you get a range of colours you won't find on any other device aswell.

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

My son, 16, has the iPhone 5C for almost two years now and he loves it. He uses it constantly, but it still in great condition. He has a couple of cell phone cases to change over depending on his mood, and it also helps protect it should it fall out of his hands. It happened before, so now, it must be protected.

11. JohnBeaulieu

Recognized Member

It is a decent device with comparable hardware. The biggest difference is the plastic case. It costs less to manufacture and costs less to purchase.

12. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Member

I work with phones and think the 5c is for kids and looks like a toy. With the 5s only being a hundred dollars more, I would go that route. The 5s has a superior camera and faster processor. Though I'm not an Apple fan, if I had to choose between the two, I would opt for the 5s.

13. JohnBeaulieu

Recognized Member

The hardware difference doesn't justify the extra money for many people. It isn't just kids. Let us be honest, many adults treat smart phones like toys. The average smart phone user isn't going to notice the processor speed between the 5c and the 5s but the camera might make a difference.

Diane Lane likes this.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I wouldn't say the 5c is for kids either to be honest. I'm not a fan of any iPhone, I must admit but if I had to pick one, the 5c would definitely be on the list, for the price difference alone.

People want a device that can do everything they ask of it, and this is what the 5c does, if it's cheaper aswell then that's obviously also a bonus.

JohnBeaulieu and Diane Lane like this.
  15. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Personally, I'm not a fan of the hard candy plastic look that they have going for these phones right now. I always preferred the metalic look and I think that it would be cool if they could incorporate these colours into a metalic material. The space is also limited for myself and it can fill up pretty quickly is you take a lot of pictures (especially in college). I think of it as a baby phone, but its not bad. There is also the consideration of it being a little older and as we know Apple tends to phase out older devices over time in the app store unfortunately. So keeping up to date would mean having a phone that could last a little longer as well :)

Diane Lane likes this.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The covers of the phone was intended for people who didn't like the usual options that Apple had when it came to the iPhone's. How long has the 5C been out now? I would have thought it would still be around for another couple of years at least?

17. blumenkranz

blumenkranz New Member

I feel like the 5C was a one time thing and I don't really see it making a return, unless it makes the 6+ cheaper, then I'm all for it. I've never held one myself so I'm not sure what the feel of it is, but I do like the variety of the colors. If it makes the phone more difficult to break, then why not?

18. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think the 5C is about as easy to break as any other iPhone to be honest. While being able to choose the colour of the device was a big factor for a lot of people, if your going to have your phone in a case anyway, which I think most people do, then you won't be able to tell the difference anyway because the coloured part of the device will be covered anyway.

19. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

I just don't see how it is any different and I don't think it really makes a difference to pay for it than to pay for a normal iPhone 5. It just doesn't make sense coming up with brands that slightly differ all the time, why not just put all in one.

20. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The 5C was the first time that Apple had gone down that kind of route with the iPhone devices. I'm assuming that they would have done the market research and four that it's what people wanted. With the amount of sales it's got, I think Apple were right to launch this kind of device, to compliment the range of phones, but I'm not sure they'll be doing the same with the 6.