When Should Children Get Smart Phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Danielle Davidson, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I know that times are changing, but I still think that some kids are too young to have a smartphone. My sister was 11 when she got her first smartphone I believe. My parents told me it was okay because it was an old one that I didn't want anymore. Well, it was the Samsung Galaxy s3 and it was only maybe a year old at that point. I think that she was way too young. I mean when you think about, what's she doing where she would need to use a cell phone? It's not like she will be somewhere where a grown up won't have a cell phone. I personally think that children should get them when they are in middle school. I think that's the best age, about the time they are in the 7th grade. What do you guys think?

2. Loading...

3. AlexKid

AlexKid Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Ideally when they enter high school. However, I know that most kids these days would never accept that. They see their friends with a phone and they want the same. But it makes sense for parents to give a child a phone in situations where the child commutes from school alone. Either the child takes the bus, a bicycle or walks home, it's best to ensure that they are only a phone call away in case of any mishaps.

4. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

My son has his first smart phone when he was 14 since I know he is more responsible in using it. Before that, he just have a regular cell phone to make call for pick up from school or from sport events. I see kids as young as three hooked their face in their parents' smart phones to play games, and I see kids as young as four, carrying an iPad. Time has changed so much now.

5. snowmanpoint88

snowmanpoint88 Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Smart phone, per se, maybe when a kid is around 15. If they really need a phone in case of emergencies, there are a lot of symbian phones out there that they can use to call you or text their friends. Some parents make the mistake, IMO, of giving their children smart phones or tablets at such an early age. As a result, the children get too addicted to games and whatever.

6. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

I have to agree with that. There are a lot of generic phones out there that younger kids can have. I have seen so many kids with smartphones and they don't even look older than 14. It's crazy that parents would want to get their kids a smartphone that young. My sister is 12 and has a smartphone. I don't even know why she needs a phone in the first place. She texts her friends every once in awhile and only calls my parents. She could get an iPod and do the same thing. She is always on her iPad or phone, it's just crazy. And she's addicted just like you're saying happens with my children.

7. JayWifi

JayWifi New Member

Children should have a basic phone around the age of 10, just for emergency calls. I believe kids should turn at least 13 before getting a smart phone. While kids may want a smart phone to play their favorite apps and text their friends, they really don't need all of the functions till they're a teen.

I also believe kids should know when and when not to pick up their phone before getting one as well because when they get one, anybody can call them.

8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I got my first cellphone when I was 12 years old, and it was just a basic one because obviously, smartphones haven't been invented yet at that time. But as for me, I think kids should get their own smartphone around the age of 13. They should enjoy and make the best of their childhood first.

9. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

I would say that when they are in hig school they can get a smartphone. However for day to day needs or even emergencies, they need a cellphone to connect with their parents or siblings. Parents can just buy a simple texting phone without a camera and it does not even have to be touchscreen.

10. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

@briannagodess I have to agree with you. I mean maybe 8th grade would be an okay time for them to get one, but not before then. I'm sure that most these kids who have them today can get by just fine with an iPod. Since all kids care about Tweeting and Instagram, they can just do that with an iPod. That wasn't around when I was a kid, and an iPod worked out to be just fine for me. I think that if children have a basic phone then that will be enough. That's so true, but so many parents think that their kids have to have an iPhone, which is just crazy to me.

11. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

@briannagodess I have to agree with you. I mean maybe 8th grade would be an okay time for them to get one, but not before then. I'm sure that most these kids who have them today can get by just fine with an iPod. Since all kids care about Tweeting and Instagram, they can just do that with an iPod. That wasn't around when I was a kid, and an iPod worked out to be just fine for me. I think that if children have a basic phone then that will be enough. That's so true, but so many parents think that their kids have to have an iPhone, which is just crazy to me.

briannagodess likes this.
  12. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

13. k9cb

k9cb New Member

I personally think this is a really difficult thing to judge and one that I don't think many people put enough thought into. For one thing, electronics and gadgets are incredibly useful and they are really ubiquitous at this point. When it comes down to it, learning how to use them at a young age is going to provide kids with an increasingly important skill set that will benefit them later in life.

On the other hand, I know from experience, that things like this can become a distraction bordering on addiction. It was hard for me to pull myself away from my N64 growing up, I couldn't imagine if it had always been in my pocket. In my opinion, that's not really a great thing to introduce into a kid's life early on.

I think I tend to agree with people who say a basic phone is OK at a young age, with smartphones being reserved for later on. I also think limiting time spent on them could be beneficial.

14. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

That in a way is a smart thing. I mean yes, they are able to learn from them but how much are these kids really wanting to learn? I mean there are so many kids out there who just want them so that they can also be cool. I know, because my sister told our family that she had to have one. I have to agree that setting a limit can be a good thing. I also think that it's some most partents don't do. When I was younger my parents would limit the time I was on anything that was an electroonic, now they just let my sister do whatever she wants. I don't know how much it's helped for hindered, but I don't think she needs to be on her iPad like she always is.

15. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

Thank you for agreeing with me. Kids today are very dependent on technology already. Gone are the days were researching means going to the library. Now it means, finding the answer on the internet. I have nothing against the usefulness of gadgets but somehow, it teaches children to be lazy. How about going to a library and actually reading a book about a topic you need to report on? Then supplement with what you can find in the internet. This way you learn more and also got to use technology and books.

16. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I think kids should probably start out with a normal phone until they reach say 12 or 13 and then get a smartphone for their birthday. I know times are changing and all but a young kid with a smartphone is not a good idea because it's possible they could lose it, break it, or even worse have it stolen off of them.

With the way things are going though I would not be surprised to see every phone being a smartphone within a few years.

17. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

That is true and they all want to bring their phones to school so that they can show their phones. The only bad thing is that they are so wrapped up in them. I see my sister who is 12 using her phone in school all the time. She is always posting photos on SnapChat and Instagram. I mean yes, that's an okay age to have a phone, but it's basically controlling her life when she's in school because she doesn't want to be there so her and her friends all play with their phones. I mean I don't ever remember being able to take my phone out in school. I have to agree with you. It seems like the nonsmartphones aren't being bought anymore, so now people are just switching to smartphones. I'm sure that soon those other phones just won't be made anymore.

18. k9cb

k9cb New Member

Well just because a kid doesn't want to learn, doesn't mean they won't do so by accident. While there are very useful apps for learning (I mentioned Duolingo in a different thread, for example), I'm talking more about the intangible skills we get from spending time on computers. Anyone who works in IT can tell about you the frustrating calls they receive from people who don't have basic computer skills. These are skills that are more or less passively learned while you use a computer. Nowadays, there are similar skills that develop from using mobile devices. These skills are essential nowadays, so I'd be hesitant to restrict children entirely from using these devices.

On the other hand, I would never advocate for unrestricted use of a mobile device or computer by a child or teen. Very many useful tools can be dangerous or detrimental without proper supervision.

19. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Oh yeah, I'm sure that children are learning about how to use these elecctronics, but then what else comes from it? I mean all these kids are just using them so that they can talk with their friends and post selfies. I mean there is nothing that I know my sister is learning from having this iPhone. I mean I'm not doubting you because I'm sure that there are children out there who are able to learn. I mean they are good tools for learning. That is very true. You never know what these kids are getting into when they are on a computer. So it is a good idea to make sure you are watching them for the most part.

20. sbatz72

sbatz72 Member

I know that some children of 10 have a busier life than others. Like my 10 year old niece has a very busy life. She is quite popular at school and she has a lot of sports activities she is also involved in. My sister found it easier to get her a phone at 10 then her original assumption that she was going to make her kids wait until they were 16 to get phones.

21. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

I think that if they are doing a lot like that, then it's okay. We live in a small town and for the most part, my sister could have used someones phone if she needed to get in touch with someone from my family. I get that you want to make sure your children are okay, but my parents went right out and bought her a smart phone. I really didn't think that she needed one since she's only 12, but hey my parents will buy her whatever she wants.