What's the point?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Danielle Davidson, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Now I know that Apple has never come out and said what the point of an iPad is, so I'm wondering if anyone knows? I basically use mine if I want to take notes in class or if I want to watch Netflix. Is it just another way for them to make money? Or is it just supposed to be a small phone/laptop?

2. Loading...

3. AlexKid

AlexKid Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

First and foremost, Apple is trying to make money and they happen to be quite good at that. But if people didn't want the iPad it would surely be discontinued by now. You're already getting some value out of it, by taking notes in class and watching Netflix. The best uses I've seen of the iPad and other tablets is by sales representatives, far better than carrying documents and catalogs around. I saw a sales rep win over a client by simply showing him a video of his product on the iPad.

4. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, I agree that it's just another way for Apple to make money, especially since they have never come out and said what the actual point is for an iPad. I do think like you said that there are people who can get good use from them. I have professors who will use them to take attendance and also to keep track of grades. I think that's actually pretty smart because I know for me personally I always carry my iPad with me. I usually don't go anywhere without it. So, if they are anything like me it's just easier to have everything in one place. Plus, laptops can be worrisome because they are so big. I have also seen business use them, and restaurants and I think that they are helpful for them. So, there are good uses for an iPad.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

I think an iPad can come in very useful to be honest. The trouble now is that since android have also started developing tablets aswell, people now have more choice. While that's obviously a good thing for the consumer, Apple have seen a decrease in sales of the iPad so development might slow down in future.

6. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, I think that they really will see a decrease in their sales. I think that they might see that because so many tablets now how keyboards or can also be laptops. I think that's better than just getting an iPad. Now, I love Apple and I will always buy their products, but I think that it's harder on sales. I would rather have an iPad, with a keyboard case so that I can just take notes on. The only thing that makes me not want one of the tablet laptops is the new Windows. I have a laptop that I got about 4 or 5 years ago that still works good and doesn't have the new Windows on it. It's a PC, but once this dies I will get a Mac. I don't like the way the windows laptops are set up now. They are just confusing and I don't think that I'll ever get used to it. I would rather just have a Mac since I already know how it works. My parents have a Mac, and it's just so much easier to run. In the long run, I think that Mac's work better than PC's.

7. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I have been using window all my life now and just this past year I was introduced to Apple, starting out with the iPhone, and then the iPad. It takes me a little time to find my way around this brand name operating system, but once I am used to it; I love it! The biggest impact it has on me was the testimonies I got from my family members. Some still using their iPhone 4, and some has their Mac for more than 7 years and it still runs like new. In the meantime, my HP window laptop is lugging, problem with heat, and continuously giving me grief! It is only 2 years old!

So if everyone was telling the truth, I agree with Danielle Davidson, that iOS system is worth it in the long run. Apple may see the sales decrease, but there are die-hard fan that will always buy their products no matter what they make.

8. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

It amazing at how long their electronics are able to run. My parents have a Mac that they have had for at least 6 years. It doesn't run perfectly, but it's still amazing that it runs as well as it does. I have a laptop that's a Toshiba, and I've had it for maybe 4 years. It doesn't work that well and I have had to get the laptop fixed once. They had to completely wipe out the whole thing. In the long run with Apple, you get what you pay for. That's why it costs so much more money.

IcyBC likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I think an iPad is whatever you want it to be. It's a tablet that in some cases, can function as a computer, and as an entertainment device. I could probably run my businesses from one if I wanted to, but that's because of my type of business. I'm sure corporations would need more than just iPads, but tablets are very useful in medical and dental practices, and they're great to carry with you if you need to demonstrate products, websites, etc.

10. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

I have actually seen people use it in their business. Most of them are restaurants. I mean it's so much easier than having a bulky computer. In a way, it looks better than having a computer there. I think that it's also great to use it as a laptop. I basically use mine over my laptop all the time. It's just so much easier to take out than my laptop. Oh yeah, those are some other good ways you can use iPads.

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I think the iPad is very versatile for many light uses like at the dentist, doctor, and restaurant for to just check off. I also use my iPad for writing now over my luggish laptop. I just have to zoom in to read and to write. The small screen is hurting my eyes, but still like how fast it runs, how fast to turn on and how fast to just shut it down. With my laptop, I have time to finish a small cup of coffee waiting for each of this task to be done.

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

Haha @IcyBC I have a laptop like that. I don't have an iPad, mainly because I can't afford one, and I'm not that happy with Apple right now, but I will be getting a tablet soon, and I can't wait until I can actually accomplish things in an expedient manner, and not have to sit here at the desktop to do them.

IcyBC likes this.
  13. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, I have seen many places using iPad now. I think that they are just so much easier and smaller that they are better for companies to use them. I also prefer my iPad over my laptop. My laptop is pretty old now, so obviously my iPhone is faster. I have gotten my laptop fixed, but it's nothing like my iPad. It's just so much easier to use than my laptop which is why I love it. I just think that laptops are starting to get so much slower, faster that tehy aren't worth it anymore.

IcyBC likes this.
  14. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I hope you will get your tablet soon, as it is so convenient to do things with it. I can only sit at my desk for a certain amount of time, and then I have to get on the couch to straight out my legs. When I can't sleep, I still am able to get some work done in my bed until my eyes shut down.

Diane Lane likes this.
  15. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

Thanks, it should be here by the end of the week, I'm very excited! I used to be able to use my laptop and iPod Touch in bed and on the couch, but the laptop isn't working well at all, and the Touch isn't functional for much of what I do nowadays, so I'm here at the desktop too much, then trying to recover the rest of the time. I totally understand, mobile technology makes a huge difference in a lot of ways, more than people realize. I'm glad you have yours to let you do what you need to do, away from the desktop :).

16. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Good question! I think that's a good extra way for them to make money, and I didn't see the point of iPads either until I bought one, and I can see why now... It seems like a small laptop, but is not as expensive as a good laptop, it seems to be an iPod but is much bigger than one! I usually use my iPad to do homework and watch movies and videos, I found it more comfortable and complete than an IPod!

17. ElegantMew

ElegantMew New Member

Obviously Apple's main goal of releasing products is to earn money - and the iPad does that just fine. Apple's "iPad" in my opinion, is simply an enlarged iPod, however that's not a bad thing. I own an iPad myself, and it really does enhance the experience of gaming and viewing. Because of the larger screen the iPad provides, watching television can be a much more pleasurable experience, and to note the battery life on the device is great as well. Like several other products, there's no accurately defined "point" of the iPad - it's pretty much a device that allows for several task to make your life more simple and fun.

18. turtledove

turtledove New Member

Well, the main reason that the iPad was released was probably for more money anyway. I'm pretty sure it worked well. I think that the iPad was designed to give people a bigger touch screen to enjoy the games and apps that they already did on their iPods/iPhones. There are many games which are a lot more fun to play on iPads, and they give you a better view overall. iPads can also be used as 'mini laptops', as you can quickly and conveniently take notes with the touch screen. I think that the iPad was mainly released to give people a better experience of what they'd already seen on Apple's other products.

19. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

It's no doubt that it's to bring in more money for the company, very much like the smartwatch thing at the moment.

However I do actually think the iPad, and other similar sized tablets are pretty useful. The way I see them is that they are basically a smaller, less hassle version of a laptop that you can use on the move and stuff.