What Went Wrong With The Fire Phone?

Discussion in 'Other Android Phones' started by teamxxlp, May 10, 2015.

1. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Without a doubt, Amazon's Fire Phone is a decent device at worst, but it's not exactly a champion in any category of hardware or software. What went wrong? Here are my thoughts:

- (Some) Lackluster Hardware

A 720p screen instead of 1080p. A bulky design. Lackluster battery life.

- Fire OS

Fire OS has severe limitations, especially with the lack of integrated Google services.

- AT&T Exclusive

There's nothing wrong with AT&T, but a lot of people use other networks.

- Nothing Stands Out

It comes with some nifty features, but the overall experience is just bland.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Darleen
      Replies:
      Views:

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

For me, I think the main problem was the OS. Amazon went for their own, and like you say, that has severe limitations. For the fire phone to have had any chance of competing, it needed to be less Amazon orientated.

If your a huge Amazon fan, then it's probably worth getting. But for many, it's not going to make them switch any time soon.

4. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I am so glad I didn't jump in the hype when they first went on the market! I don't like AT&T as the provider as they are very expensive, and I don't want to have to tailor everything to Amazon either! I don't even have any desire for the Amazon HD Fire tablet.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The success, or lack of it, makes me wonder if that will be the first and last fire phone we will see. While it's got all the makings of a decent device, it's certainly not been as popular as what they expected, and at the end of the day, it's all about getting them off the shelves, and if people aren't buying them, I'm not quite sure where they'd go from here.

6. GavinGimbo

GavinGimbo Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Amazon's operating system is based on Android but has completely stripped off all Google services, and only restricted to Amazon's ecosystem. It is the main reason why it didn't get popular for people to buy.

I'm using their Kindle Fire HD tablet, and its great for reading books and watching videos, but that's pretty much what I can do (I don't play games). Watching YouTube is a pain on the web browser though, I haven't side loaded the app.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

And I think that's the issue. If Amazon hadn't have made it an Amazon only device, which is essentially what it is, then I think it would have sold a lot more.

Like we have already said, as far as phones go it's not a bad device, it's just it's limited as to what you can do with it.

ashencoast likes this.