What was your first cell phone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Katie Miller, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Katie Miller

Katie Miller New Member

What was your first cell phone?

Mine was a very, very large Nokia phone that I swear everyone and their mother had. It had the different face plates you could buy to change it up a bit. I believe my first was a TracPhone when I was 16 years old, which would be 1997.
    Wow, I am feeling old right now :eek:

I can't wait to see what everyone's first phones were.

2. Loading...

3. roarzie

roarzie New Member

Started with a Nokia 3310. I'll never forget playing Snake and feeling like technology is so advanced that you can play games on a phone.
    I miss that period from time to time, considering how much longer the battery life was back then, and how resistant the phones were, compared to those that come out these days.

4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I had my first cellphone when I was 12 years old and it was a Nokia 3210 phone. I actually enjoyed it although the only games you could play on it are Snake and Space Impact. Life was a little bit less complicated back then.

5. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

My first phone was a Phillips C-12. It was quite big and you could remove the aerial on it. I felt quite proud at having my first mobile phone and was even able to get a custom cover for it.

I also remember playing around with the aerial. I'd remove it enough so it would just start loosing the signal and then slowly remove it to see how far I could go until I lost the signal. It kept a younger me entertained for quite a while!

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Hmm, I think it was an old Nokia but it had a lot of features (expandable storage, GIF wallpapers and so on). I was so stunned when I saw how many things you can do with a phone and I was really impressed by the technology back then.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

Nokia 3310! Ahh the power of Nokia phones. I swear I had dropped my phone more than a dozen times but still it did not get broken lol. Now, phones are really fragile and thin. Unlike the old times where you can even use your phone even if you dropped it already a lot of times.

8. joshposh

joshposh Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I forgot already. Hmm. I think it was a nextel phone with direst connect. That was a decent phone before smart phones came out. It had ring tones , flip face, and i could download games on it. Back then that was a new feature. That was over 10 years ago.

9. theGIJST

theGIJST New Member

Well, I didn't start with Nokia 3310. Nokia 3310 is not even the first phone that I have used. The first phone I used was some Motorola. It had no games on it, and it was huge with an antenna. After that, my parents got the Nokia 3310 and I played games on it. I loved Snake and Space Invaders. I played Space Invaders so much, it's such a great game. However, the first phone that was actually 100% mine, was some Nokia newer than 3310 but still didn't have a color display. It was maybe 1200 something or 1100 something, I really can't find it or remember the name. It had snake on it and some sort of card games on it.

However, the first phone that I REALLY loved was the Sony Ericsson K800i. My dad bought that when it came out and I instantly fell in love with it. The camera was amazing and there were cool games like Tennis and a game where you take photos of fish, don't remember the name. If you wanted more games, you could always just download them. I loved that phone and it is currently one of my favorite phones that I ever had. I always wanted to get the K850i, but eventually, I got an android and that's just pointless now.

10. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

The 3310 was damn near indestructible! My friend managed to destroy hers though when she accidentally dropped it in the toilet, so all the 3310 needed was waterproofing and it would take something like a nuclear blast to render it useless!

11. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

Hahaha! That is probably its weakness like superman is kryptonite. I wish cellphones today are as indestructible as cellphones before. But I guess, the higher specs, some other aspects suffer.

12. roarzie

roarzie New Member

And also it's in their best interest that the phones break easily, so that people buy the newer phones. Also, slim phones can't be that resistant, and people are drawn by slimmer and slimmer phones.

13. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

My first cell phone was a basic prepaid model in the mid to late 90's. It was only used for emergencies or roadside car trouble because the minutes were expensive. There were no smartphones, unlimited plans, or data at the time.

14. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 New Member

This was my first cell phone, I believe I got it in either 1995 or 1996...

[​IMG]

This was back when most people were still carrying a pager *and* a cell phone, and I remember thinking at the time that it would be so cool if they made a phone with a pager on the back, lol. God, I turned 21 around this same time, and remember going out to the bars with this damn thing fastened to my belt on one side and another big ass Motorola pager sticking out on my other side.

It was still so much better though than carrying around pockets full of quarters and trying to hunt down pay phones every time someone paged you.

15. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Pagers always seemed like a waste to me unless you needed them for work. I never carried bot a pager and a cell phone at the same time.

16. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

That is the trend nowadays slimmer but larger phones like the Iphone 6+ and the Samsung S series. I do agree as people go crazy to get the newest version of Iphone even if the older version phone still works for them. Some people even line up just to get it first.

17. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I had my first cellphone when I was 10 I think... It was the awful and warrior Nokia 3210 and I felt like a bussiness man on my school, I was the only guy who had one and my friends and I used to play Snake all the time on recess. I think I only send messages and made phone calls a couple of times! I mostly used it to brag around and play all day... good times!

briannagodess likes this.
  18. kitkat8673

kitkat8673 New Member

My first cell phone was a good old red Motorola flip. I got my phone in fourth grade so I could walk to the bus stop alone because my parents had to work early, so I had to walk alone. I had bought a pink case with gold polka dots for it with birthday money. All the kids in school were jealous because I had a phone before them.

19. JayWifi

JayWifi New Member

My first cell phone was an LG flip phone. I don't remember the model but it was fun. I first got that when I was 10 and I had that phone for 7 years.

20. k9cb

k9cb New Member

My first phone was a orange LG slider, but I have no idea what the model was. It was kind of funny, I remember researching for a while, because I wanted customizable mp3 ringtones (back when that was a big deal). I had the hook from "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five as my ringtone for quite a while, and I also had some beats I made for others. Everyone had their own ringtone.

I think it's kind of funny that I researched it back then, considering how much more goes into picking a phone nowadays.

21. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

Hahahaha! Oh men, I remember that game too. We used to play it and try to beat each others' scores. Lol. It even came up to the point where the snake is too long already that it just got to difficult. I also remember this one game where you have a spaceship that you need to control. Lol what is the name of that again! Those were the simpler times!