What gets wiped on factory reset?

Discussion in 'HTC' started by Guest, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Guest

Guest Visitor
    Visitor

What gets wiped on factory reset?

Hello folks,

I am sorry for posting such a nubish question but what is actually getting wiped when performing a factory reset? Cause on my Note, I used to wipe and flash new roms all the time. I haven't yet done that with my M8 so it's been quite a while.

I remember when I used to factory reset, I'd always still have my pictures and music (all I really care about). Now I'm reading up on it and it's telling me everything gets wiped, unless on my SD card.

Will my media from the phone's HDD be wiped if I do a factory reset?

#2 Guest, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Visitor
    Visitor

Factory reset just wipes /data

Factory reset just wipes /data partition. Internal storage should be left intact.

There might be some variation based on where you do your wipes: recovery, within OS, or hboot (wipe from hboot not recommended on modded phones). But I believe for the most part, its as I mentioned (/data gets wiped, probably cache as well, internal storage is left untouched).

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Visitor
    Visitor

You should check this link

You should check this link because I think this explains it pretty well. It looks like it gives you the option to erase sd card after you start:

This link

#4 Anonymous, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015
  4. puru2

puru2 Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

The HTC version actually specifically

The HTC version actually specifically tells you what it's going to erase and then gives you the option for wiping internal storage and SD card.