What do you think of Apple Pay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Danielle Davidson, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I think that this is another cool thing that Apple has been able to come up. I don't think that I want to use it though. The main reason being you could lose your phone anywhere and then someone might be able to get into your phone, that would be in the back of my mind all the time. Another reason being that someone could hack Apple and then they would be able to get your credit card numbers. I don't know how well Apple has made the protection on the Apple Pay, but that would honestly just freak me out. So, what do you guys think of Apple Pay? And would you use or do you use Apple Pay?

2. Loading...

3. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I haven't bought anything using my phone as I have a tendency of forgetting it :( It is a cool feature and it's relative safe with Apple, but I just don't like to put my personal information out there.

teamxxlp likes this.
  4. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

If you lose your phone, and someone else finds it, then they can't do a thing in Apple Pay. They'll have to have your fingerprint match and be able to get passed whatever safeguards are left through the app. Heck, some people can't even get passed a screen lock password or pin, so security isn't an issue from a lost phone standpoint.

As for getting hacked, the same thing could happen with your online banking credentials, and Apple Pay is about as safe as those credentials, so that means that sophisticated hackers could compromise your bank account and Apple Pay with the same level of ease.

IcyBC likes this.
  5. GavinGimbo

GavinGimbo Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I will continue to add on what you said in terms of what I think about Apple Pay.

Mobile payments is definitely the way to go. Your device, basically becomes your card wallet. You won't need to carry any other cards around and everything will be cardless. Many people will take time to settle with this, and it's still fresh with lots of improvements yet to be made, however it is something that is very convenient. Your transactions are basically a fingerprint away.

6. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, I mean I think that it's a great way for you to be able to pay for things. It's amazing how convenient it is now. Everything that we need we can just get with our phone. I think that yes, this might be something that I would look into, but it would also freak me out. I'm just thinking about how Apple can be hacked and people can get your debit card number. Or how you can lose your phone. I know that they can't use it, but there are some pretty smart people out there. I'm just not fully on board with it. It's just a precaution.

7. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I guess I am stuck in the dinosaur age, and if I was not forced to use online banking, I wouldn't. I prefer the good old way of looking at the bill in my hands and write a check :) Nowadays I don't have many choices to do that way anymore, and getting a bit comfortable of using my computer to schedule payments.

For some reasons, I think since my computer has all sort of protection softwares on it, I feel safer using it than on my phone. Surely, it is just a matter of mind games :)

8. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, I have to agree. with you. I just don't think that I would like having my credit card on my phone. It just seems weird to me. I'm okay with paying with cash and then debit cards. I know that they are just trying to make things easier for people, but to me I would rather carry all that stuff with me. I'm too much of a worry to have that on my phone. I would worry someone would hack Apple or my phone.

9. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

For me, also with the paper bills, it is easier to see what has been charge to my account. I found so many extra charges on my phone bill and others plenty of times before, that now if I see the amount goes up, I had to call in for details; and calling these places can take up an hour of time. I hate that!

10. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, it's just so much easier. I just think that Apple is trying to make things easier on people. And for some people that may work, but for others it might not. So, for someone like you it might not be the best thing to get. And also for someone like me. Yeah, that's why phones these days stink to have. My mom will also find charges on the bill that we didn't know about. All these companies just want is your money, that's all that it boils down to. Plus it's hard to find a place that won't charge you a crazy amount of money.

11. KNH

KNH New Member

I think a lot of people, including myself, are scared to use it. So many systems and programs are being hacked and I don't know if I trust it yet. I also would forget about it most of the time, and not all places take it yet. If it gets "bigger" in the future I will consider it.

12. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

@KNH I agree with you. I think that there are a lot of people out there that are too trusting though. I'm sure that it would be hard to break into the Apple Pay system to get everyone's credit cards, but not impossible. Which is why even when I do decided that I will update my phone, I will do the Apple Pay. There is just too big a risk to even think about doing it. I have heard that it is pretty big. I see that there are so many places accepting Apple Pay, even in the small town that I live in.

13. Val

Val New Member

I think Apple Pay is a wonderful thing! It is very convenient and saves the hassle of taking out your card and typing in the numbers. Even if you don't like Apple Pay, the iPhones have a feature that allow you to scan your card and get most of the information by a single tap. You are also given the option to save the card or not. I guess this is quite similar to Apple Pay, however you can use Apple Pay in physical situations where as the scanning option is only for online transactions.