Users who have owned Galaxy s5 & s6, weigh in on the difference

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy' started by srock, Jul 14, 2015.

1. srock

srock New Member

I currently have the Samsung Galaxy 5 and I have heard that the 6 is not an improvement on the 5 in some ways. Can anyone who has owned and used both please weigh in?

2. Loading...

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

The S6 is probably the best phone out there that money can buy but I don't think the difference between the S5 and the S6 is that big. If you like your phone then I suggest you keep it for another year or two. You won't see big improvements.

4. srock

srock New Member

Thank you, FuzZyon. Did you own the s5 previously? I am curious from the user's perspective how the subtle differences manifest.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I play with phones all day so I have a lot of experience :p. The S5 is a pretty good phone and it's powerful enough to handle everything you throw at it nowadays. I really like that the S5 still keeps some good features (micro SD slot, removable battery and waterproof certification).
    From the user's perspective the differences are little to non-existant. The 5.0 version on the S6 feels a little bit faster than the S5's but if you're going to put a custom ROM on it there will be no difference.
    I'd stick with your current phone for now. If you're looking for an upgrade then keep an eye out for the Nexus line this year.

6. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

It's self-explanatory in the buying numbers. Current S5 owners haven't rushed out to purchase the S6 because it's a completely different device in the wrong ways and without being a major, major improvement. Many S5 owners prefer the removable battery and expandable storage compared to the premium design and lack of such features on the S6. There are tons of users that aren't going to switch to the S6, which is why sales figures for the device have been disappointing.

The S6 is a great device, but it's also an alienating device for its major changes to the Galaxy S line in general.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

While I dint own a Samsung myself, I know a few people that do, and what I can gather from their opinions, if you already have the S5, and your still under contract, it's not worth paying put extra money to upgrade to the S6.

The S6 and the S6 edge, are widely regarded as the best devices available on the market at the moment, so if your due an upgrade on your contract, and the network that your with is doing a good deal, then it's definitely worth getting, otherwise, the S5 is still more than a good enough phone to keep hold of for now.

8. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom New Member

I didn't own either, but I can talk from a friend's viewpoint (who owned every single main Galaxy S series phone). He said that he doesn't necessarily feel that it was a huge upgrade from the s5, but he is glad that he switched, because his old phone was starting to become really slow (I noticed it too). He also said that in comparison, s6 is way smoother than its predecessor.