Touchpad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Danielle Davidson, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I'm not sure if that's what it's called, but when you unlock your iPhone 5s, how many people actually use the Touchpad? I know that there was a lot of hype about them because it was a cool new way to unlock the iPhone, but I'm wondering how many people actually use it. I have the 5c, so I don't have one. My boyfriend has the 5s though and I usually always unlock his phone with the touchpad. He usually puts his password in. So, how many people actually use the touchpad a lot? Or even a little bit?

2. Kyler

Kyler Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

I don't think it's that common because it's not really needed when you have a small smartphone in your pocket or in your head. Touchpads? I thought they were more popular for laptops rather than phones but things get a bit crazy. If you were to use a keyboard on an iPhone or a touchpad, will they start using on on a watch :/?

3. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

You're talking about TouchID, right? It's a fingerprint scanner, not a touchpad. If your fingerprint is mapped to the device, then it will unlock if you hold your thumb there for a couple of seconds. It's a great feature that can save a couple seconds here and there. Plus, you need it for Apple Pay on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

4. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

Ah, so that's what it is. I misunderstood, I had no idea what she meant by touchpads.

5. sbatz72

sbatz72 Member

I don't think this is a very safe way to keep your personal information protected. I think if you want to keep your personal information protected you will need to keep your phone password protected. I am not just talking about protecting your phone with a 4 digit code that can be cracked with the right software. I am talking getting a password.

6. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, I have to agree with you. If you want to put your information on your phone, then it should really be protected. Most of the 4 digit passwords can be cracked easily enough. I know that for me personally I would never put any information on my phone that I didn't want people to see. And I feel like there are people out there who aren't smart enough to do that.

7. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I have the iPhone 5 so there is no touch pad for me, and my phone is also factory unlocked. I have the touch screen to slide, enter my passcode to unlock my phone.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

When it comes to a phones security, I still don't think that you can beat the old fashioned 4 digit pin number to be honest. While technology is getting more and more advanced, where fingerprint and face recognition security is concerned, there's still a lot of work to be done to make it completely secure.

9. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

That is true. When you think about it, someone could take your thumb when you're asleep and use that to get into your phone. I have heard a couple cases of this where little kids would do that to their parents. If they had had a number password to begin with then that wouldn't have happened. It seems like all these companies are just trying to help make life easier with all the things these phones can do. The only downside is that they don't always make things easier. Sometimes these things lead to bad things, like these children getting into their parents phones and downloading all the games that they want.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

A lot also depends on what information you have on your phone. I think most people will want to keep their information secure, unless you work for the FBI, then new security features aren't the most important selling point when it comes to purchasing a new device.

11. xXxDefinexXx

xXxDefinexXx New Member

Personally, I don't find myself using the fingerprint sensor as much. Partly, there's the factor of my broken home button and the fact that old habit of sliding right to passcode break hard. I hardly find a difference in security for me. Always love to use it in front of friends who never seen it work before, and watch their amazement at the gimmick I never use.

12. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

That's true. I mean for the most part I just want to keep my sister out because she is always in my phone. I have nothing to hide, but I hate when she messes up things on it. Which is why I have to make new passwords on my phone all the time. It's annoying so this is one reason why I would want to be able to use my thumb to get into my phone. That way she wouldn't be able to see the password unless I had to put it in. I have noticed like you said that the security is the most important thing to some people.

13. roarzie

roarzie New Member

Not even then I guess. I don't think that FBI agents would keep important documents on their phones, especially as they can be so easily stolen.
    4 digit codes are where it's at!

14. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Working for the FBI was obviously just an example but you know what I mean though. While privacy is important, for most people I think the 4 digit pin number is more than secure enough.

15. kitkat8673

kitkat8673 New Member

The only thing the touch pad is used on the 5s is for a password to your phone. I used to have a 5c too and it's really not that different than the 5s. To set up the touchpad in settings your fingerprint is scanned. Whenever you want to log into your phone you put the finger on the touch pad. The plus to this is if your phone ever was stolen there is no way to unlock it unlike by guessing a number password.

16. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While I'm not saying that developing better security features is a bad thing, all I meant was that for most people a simple pin number that nobody else knows would be more than enough.

A lot of anti virus software these days comes with remote access to your device aswell so if it e er did get stolen, you could find out where it was, or at wipe the data off it, effectively making the device an expensive paperweight.