The LG G4 will alegeddly sport a SD808 processor?

Discussion in 'LG' started by FuZyOn, Apr 17, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

This means that it will severely underperform in comparison with the Galaxy S6. Is this a wise move from LG since the SD810 seems so faulty?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. GlacialDoom
      Replies:
      Views:

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

It looks like LG are trying to keep the costs down to me. Considering this was supposed to be LG's flagship smartphone and what they wanted to challenge Samsung, apple and HTC with, some of the specs of the phone leave a lot to be desired.

On paper and how the phones actually uses and processes tasks can be entirely different so I'll be interested to get my hands on one and have a look.

At the moment though I doubt I'll be spending my hard earned cash on one of these just yet.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I don't think that the reason for SD 808 is the cost. The SD810 has problems with overheating and for it to be able to function properly it needs to be throttled down a lot.
    The 808 is the only option for LG at the moment.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I don't know what the actual release date is on this phone or if it's even got one yet but isn't there a snapdragon 820 in development at the moment? Would LG not be wise to consider stalling the launch of the G4 and waiting to see how the 820 fares?

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

It is, but that will take 3-4 months for the development process to be available.
    They announced the reveal of the G4 on 28th April so I don't think they can postpone it anymore. The G Flex 2 also has overheating problems (has a SD 810 processor).

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Your probably right to be honest, it already seems like a lifetime since LG announced the G4 was in development so any longer people will start to turn to other makes and models I guess.

With the advancement of technology these days, you'd have thought that over heating processors would be a thing of the past.

8. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

The overheating problems with the Snapdragon 810 SOC are widely overstated, and the differences between the 808 and 810 might seem like a lot with benchmarks. However, the differences in real world performance aren't going to be noticeable except under the most power-intensive tasks, so it's a moot point. I have a device with a Snapdragon 800, and it still performs like newer chips in real world use because it's still an advanced SOC.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

It may well be a moot point, but the Qualcomm SD powered most, if not all the manufacturers flagship devices in the last couple of years. This year it's not and Qualcomm have already said they expect their profits to take a massive hit.

So in real world use it might not be an issue but it's certainly an issue that the manufacturers have taken notice of.

10. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

Samsung's decision to go with its own Exynos processors over Qualcomm's Snapdragons did hurt Qualcomm's bottom line, but the effect wasn't that bad. What really hurt Qualcomm so far this year has been the billion dollar fine it had to pay to China for antitrust issues. Then the company is facing potential antitrust probes in South Korea, the United States, and various countries in Europe. A few more fines like the one from China, and Qualcomm will really be in some trouble.